The Fall in Evolution

But it reads more than what you quoted. It reads: “on that day you will surely die.” It is the on that day part that makes the interpretation of physical death problematic and makes the interpretation of spiritual death more plausible, in my opinion.

Just got caught up and found myself most in agreement with these points:

I think “the Fall” does refer to the transformation which places us outside the natural checks and balances of nature. It requires us to become more self reliant and also to seek what cosmicscotus refered to as the voice of the spirit. I think (sorry @Klax) that mythic thinking about this rift in our nature is productive, and beyond the reach of direct analysis and conceptualization. It is a question of getting insight into the way our being has been divided and the desirability to form a relationship between the parts of our fractured nature.

No argument from me I’m afraid Mark! Happy to mine the mythic for psychological, existential, evolutionary, poetic insight.

1 Like

I completely agree that the term spiritual death is not in scripture and that kids are not born spiritually dead.

The verses in genesis reads like this concerning death. You shall die until you die.

https://biblehub.com/text/genesis/2-17.htm

You’ll notice surely and shall die are both the word die. Dying until you die. Nothing spiritual about it. When Adam sinned, he begin dying and would continue dying until he finally died.

That is again mentioned in the next chapter

19 By the sweat of your face
You will eat bread,
Till you return to the ground,
Because from it you were taken;
For you are dust,
And to dust you shall return.”

Until you return to the ground. ( dying until you die)
and to dust you shall return. ( finally dying )

With that said the concept of being separated from god “ a spiritual death “ does exist. The wages of sin is death. It’s sin that separates us from God. Not merely being born.

The Bible says that there is a time in every humans life where they are not yet old enough to choose good or evil. It says that wickedness , and evening mistreating your wife, can hinder your prayers. When Jesus was on the cross and took on our sins, it says God turned from him, and Jesus cried out why have you forsaken me. A separation occurred momentarily.

1 Like

Without evidence I am not going to label Gen 2-3 as a myth because you say so :wink: So please elaborate.

But that’s an assumption, Jesus did not say much if anything at all about Gen 2-3, Jesus spoke about marriage only in relationship to the creation story, correct me I forget something.

And no, it won’t change my faith in Jesus, from all religions Christianity is the one that makes most sense.

Ed, there’s nothing but evidence.

And how could the fully human Jesus not believe His culture’s framing story that He saw and wrapped Himself in fully divinely?

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.