“The End of Apologetics: Christian Witness in a Postmodern Context” by Myron B. Penner

It feels like I’m quoting you at random, because the whole paragraph this comes from is rich. As a genuine Menschenkenner (one with insight into people) you understand the problem. Tricky having our human natures involved with spiritual things and ideals.

I recently wrote to a friend that it’s easy, when one belongs to the “main group” in a church to say, “The Gospel is what unites us. We need to focus on the Gospel and Jesus. If we do that, everything else falls into place.”
That sounds fantastic! Let’s do it! But really what is meant is: “you must not be following the Gospel well enough or focused enough on Jesus. You are bringing ____ political beliefs and other baggage that makes it hard to function here. You are the one who seems to be having a hard time in church.” This is exactly the kind of thing Penner has been resisting.

I understand these questions. They’re valuable and based on good observations.

I don’t believe it is too communal. Actually, I would love to find a church that is more so, but in a context where I feel I can really trust the people I’m in communion with to be focused on the Gospel. Where conforming to the Gospel, rather than to the church culture were the focus of the congregation, not just the pastors on Sunday morning. But then we read the news. Or we think of what we’ve seen first hand. And we get to know people with stories like @Klax 's, who might see all of our churches as cults. Don’t know. Can’t speak for him.

Certainly the question of submerging self-identification into group affiliation is huge. The potential for disaster is enormous.
In spite of what I just said above, I am too suspicious to thoroughly submerge my self-identification into group affiliation.

I’ve actually lived this suspicion my entire adult life, not involving myself in “evangelical culture” very much, which would include the organizations, events, consumer culture, political affiliations, “information” sources, school affiliations, music, media, parachurch organizations, and the like. They are off-putting, which no one else seems to understand. And as I look around, I see evidence of them them being as a whole cultural entity very damaging and dis-orienting, or rather re-orienting. Often this reorientation is away from the Gospel and toward money and power or pride.

So, the beggars are still walking.

I think for good reason, too. I am as well. Even as a Bible-carrying member of the group, holding to the foundational beliefs and a brand of resulting doctrines and practices, I’m wary. It makes it harder to participate fully, for sure.

My oldest daughter and I just participated in most of a women’s book group at “the new church” this summer, and we saw a few things that concerned us. Something came up that was quasi-doctrinal, and I (too) sharply disagreed (too) loudly. Women, who would never have questioned anything in public were shocked. (Sorry, ladies. I must work on my delivery.) But a few were looking at me in agreement, and one women echoed what I said from her own experience in much more diplomatic terms and tone.

In spite of my very poor communication style, part of living well communally and “submerging self identification into group affiliation requires” requires that we are carrying out the dialogic work that Penner talks about within the community and that we are willing to allow others to do it as well. Otherwise we do have a cult and tribalism and groupthink.

Well, you know that as a holder of the beliefs, I say “yes, the beliefs balance the risks.” But that’s because I think there is a reality correspondent to the beliefs. Looking from the outside, I’m sure it looks hopeless. As one on the inside, I don’t expect some Golden Age of Christianity or even of the Gospel, and I distrust the claims that there ever were or will be.

I think we see the Gospel operating best in small groups on the fringes, where there is no institutional power and few resources. People don’t have a lot of options besides faith and community, and they need the community to survive, so they may be a bit less picky about their allies. Real Christianity just isn’t showy. Anything that can operate from a position of weakness is not going to look very impressive in the world.

One way or another, as is echoed over in the thread on Universal Salvation, in the end whatever it is, and whoever comprises it, will be made right. We live in that hope through Jesus Christ. And that seems to me to be a great benefit.

We are all so easily distracted. By myriad things. I am. And those distractions are also obstacles to figuring out what we really should be doing with ourselves during our lives or accomplishing any of the goals that could be associated with the Gospel. Your cousin sounds pretty normal, except more honest. At least he is self-aware enough to notice, and honest enough to say it. It’d be better, though, if he could tell the difference between the conservative Christian men’s group and the Gospel.

Some do, and a lot better than I do. Some that do are also stuck in the tribal stuff. It’s had to be completely pure. We’re all short-sighted. So we look to good mentors, who seem to be doing it right. We keep learning and dialoguing.

1 Like

This is all very funny, Terry!
I join you in spontaneous and inappropriate laughter. Although, the situation was worthy of such. That woman has done a lot of damage to people who are better people than I am.

“Librarian minister of information”! A woman from our new church was expressing her admiration for librarians and her mythical understanding of what we do and have access. Like we really all do have access to the keys to understanding of everything. I told her, No, I spend a lot of time just hunting down information for other people to use in their research. That just didn’t seem possible to her. SO, I invited her to call me at work to figure out a time for a tour. Maybe I can just show her. But I’m afraid she’ll still think that I have kind of special access to The All.

Well, I DO know how to set up the microfilm machines as well as use them. I guess that’s something.

4 Likes

Sounds like a gnostic cult :wink:

1 Like

You caught us, Phil. After hours we wear hooded loden cloaks with russet silk cords and chant incantations from the Michigan Compiled Laws.

1 Like

Part of what I draw from the book and yours and Merv’s observations is that what I’m calling the Christian project is about a perpetual process - contrary to what the legion of triumphalists seem to think. Just implementing what you feel called to do and be seems monumental without lugging a burdensome crew along where they don’t want to go. Maybe that’s the cost of maintaining the seedbed; thank you for your service by the way. I feel like a ne’er do well by comparison but thankfully I’m running a different script which is much less burdensome. More like a voyage of discovery than tutelage toward a known result by those who’ve been there. Hopefully I’ll be of some use to others but I’d like that to be toward fellow travelers rather than acolytes. I appreciate that you don’t automatically feel that someone choosing a different way is a direct insult to what you hold sacred.

2 Likes

Different than being an acolyte is the child being led on adventures with his Father. The journey is an unknowable, but safety is guaranteed as is the joyful end of arriving at home in your native country. Along the way, cool things are experienced and learned about his strong attributes demonstrated in objective reality. And being an assistant to Tony Stradivari would be a good thing, rather than stumbling along in the dark with only one’s imagination and ultimate wrecking. Or a wide gate, to change the metaphor. The Pilgrim’s Progress is a good read.

@Randy
This section made me think of you and your mention of the post WWI plastic surgeons, who helped veterans whose faces had been destroyed in the war. When we treat someone as faceless, just as these men had experienced, we deny their basic humanity.

Perhaps I need to explain this concept of “facelessness” further. I am following Emmanuel Levinas when he identifies “the face” as the mysterious phenomenon that indicates a human being is present. The face of the other, Levinas claims, always points to a reality beyond me that is other than me and can never be mine nor even fully understood. Most important, the face is not an objective, epistemological entity that denotes a mind and signifies beliefs that I am to reason about, justify, and intellectually master, but a hermeneutical phenomenon that speaks to me and calls or summons me to relate to it and to be responsible for it. That is, the face of an other presents me with a presence full of pos­sibilities for personal and distinctly human relationship. To be faceless, then, is to be anonymous and without being-a thing or object, some­ thing without a personal and human presence. So when I treat others who do not believe as I do as faceless, I do them a kind of violence.
I wrong them. I deny their full humanity and attempt to absorb their identity into mine. (pg. 150)

2 Likes

Yes. Christians call this long, slow, endless (in this life) process “sanctification.” We believe it is a work of the Holy Spirit in us. We want it, but also find it frustrating and sometimes terrifying. We’re often working with the unknown. We have to constantly remind ourselves who God is and why we can trust him with this process.

You’re welcome, I guess. I’ve left most of the work to you guys. I really appreciate having other people to help keep me on schedule, so I actually finished the book, and provide a really great discussion that made me think a lot and better. With all the unread books I have continually gathering on book shelves, desk corners and my poor, groaning nightstand, maybe this format would help me whittle away at them, too! (That was a joke, Mods.)
Mark, I’m glad you feel like you found something interesting in the discussion as well. Thanks for taking on the risk of engaging with a book about apologetics with a bunch of Christians, knowing very well, where this thread could have led. I’m not ashamed of having this discussion on our “permanent record” even with all the flaws. I hope anybody that reads through in the future finds it edifying, maybe in ways we never imagined.

You haven’t been insulting. So, I am not insulted.
I’ve thought a lot about how you and I and some others have worked to talk within our own categories with people who have different categories. This is a very hard way to have a conversation, because usually, when people do this, they are subtly (or not so subtly) correcting the other, attempting to push them into a different “proper”
set of categories. I’ve worked, and I can tell that you have as well, to let you speak from your self, as you let me do. I’ve tried to, without “correction.” give you vocabulary, like “sanctification” or concepts so you have it and know it when you encounter it again. But not to say, “This is how you’re supposed to speak to me/us.” And I think you’ve done much the same, and with a great deal of patience. Thanks. :star2:

In the next couple days this book group will be closing. Before we’re completely done, I do want to ask about overall impressions about what worked and didn’t as an online “event.” I’d rather people just speak for themselves than have me guide with questions. But I’d appreciate feedback for myself as well as anyone else crazy enough to think of trying another book group in the future.

1 Like

While not participating a lot, I enjoyed it. It is a difficult book to read, and the discussion helped get through it a lot. I would enjoy similar book club posts. I think that books that encourage thought and on topics that challenge is a good thing.

3 Likes

I enjoyed it too, @jpm. Interesting book with challenging ideas. I appreciated relaxed pace which made it easy to make progress with other reading, explore other resources that were mentioned and take time with the book which was needed. I think our leader did a great job of hanging back since she was so much further along in having read and thought about everything. When she did finally weigh in I found she made by many needed connections.

I may eventually share some thoughts about how this is very relevant for nonChristians as well.

1 Like

Please, do.

she was completely behind the rest of you in review reading or reading, once we got about 1/2 way through chapter 3.

Then again, transcribing about 1/3 of the book into my notebook, after having underlined (with a pencil and straight edge) almost 1/2 the text in the book, and taking extensive notes in the margins, was pretty time-consuming. My deficient note-taking skills have gotten even worse. But I think I did actually learn enough in this messy way to retain a few things beyond next week.

My sense was that this was only tough for you in so far as it centers on something extremely near and dear which is protected by heresy alarms. Other than that PoMo is your niche.

2 Likes

Thanks, Mark, but this was a really hard read for me, as all PoMo I have ever read has been. I’ve got 101 pages of mostly quotes in my medium size notebook, and I never finished the notes for chapter 5. It was vastly worth the struggle. But this was really as hard as I’ve griped about through the thread.
Reading PoMo handled by a Christian, who has not rewritten the faith has been astonishing. And to some degree makes me sad. I didn’t know there were writers like Penner and Smith and Westphal working with this material for years. I have much more great stuff to look forward to, I think.
Getting back into this new “branch of PoMo theory” has been invigorating, in spite of the challenges.
My college-age daughter has been completely baffled by my behaviour this summer. She didn’t live through my grad school years and never saw this side of me operating like there’s a deadline and a grade on the line.
The younger one has been glad for my distraction, as she putzes on the internet, avoiding cleaning her room.

2 Likes

Y’all sound like you’re winding down, but I’m not ready for the discussion to be over yet. I’ve just been a bit AWOL because of school starting up, and hope to finish rereading chapter 5. If it is anything like chapter 4, there may still be much in its conclusive nature for us to process yet.

2 Likes

I’m wrapping up for tonight. Personally, I think there’s still a good deal to discuss, and I’m glad you’re up for it, Merv. We will keep it going as long as there are things to say…thread may never close.

I’ve been trying to gather a few things together, that have been elusive, particularly an art installation I saw about 7 years ago, which I think is relevant. Sure. Why not? Science/Faith/Postmodern Theory/Christian Apologetics/Art. Sure. Let us liberal arts people in and it all gets really messy quickly.

I hope the new year is starting out well. Mark and I remember the beginning of the year as teachers. It’s insane.

Took the youngest today to HS Freshman orientation (chaos).

2 Likes

Penner writes on page 141, “ Thus,it is not possible either, Asian insists, to proclaim truth in an unedifying or “vile” way. When one does so, one is proclaiming something false, a pseudo-gospel, and is serving the Father of Lies. The lesson in this for Christian witness is that I cannot Use the objective truths of Chris- tianity to tear down others and think that lam thereby communicating the truth of the gospel.”

How does that apply to us as we interface with those who disagree with something in the church, or even on this forum? It is tempting when someone makes an assertion we feel is false and can easily refute to rub it in and be quick to point our their errors, with little regard as to who they are as a fellow child of God, much as the militant apologist approaches his or her prey. Certainly we can argue that they attacked us first, which may be true, but hardly justifies our actions.

2 Likes

Yep.
I was afraid from page i in the introduction that I would leave this book, even if it was what I had hoped for, with many, many more questions and the desire for the How To Manual. Which, of course I never expected was written.
Learning to disagree appropriately, figuring it out, may take some real fear and trembling.

:rofl::joy::rofl::smiling_face_with_tear::joy:

You are a beast, Merv. If I still had 1/10 your energy …. But seriously it is amazing all you do.

I hope your your youngest’s freshman year is memorable in a hundred good ways.

But the start of school was always the calmest most upbeat time usually. But for me it was pretty all consuming. The biggest change when I retired was the huge amount of mental space that opened up when I was no longer lesson planning and evaluating so much of the time. I can’t even imagine what it would have been like to go through the pandemic teaching. I know my old colleagues were very stressed by it.

2 Likes

And yet you mods do it here every day. You don’t become punitive or petty or repressive. I’m not looking for a POV makeover but if I was I’d have to admire what you all model and I always take in what you say in a positive light expecting to find something of value. I’m rarely disappointed.

2 Likes

I took my afternoon break at work today as a patron, and borrowed the 5 books listed with Kierkegaard as the author from our collection. It’s actually nearly a miracle that we have so many, considering some of the idiotic political decisions that have been made regarding our collecitons. I was just looking for some kind of review of one book and found one in the Times Machine. I thought it was interesting to read some of the main points we’ve been discussing in a book review from 1952 (the year my parents were married).
Here’s a link for NYT subscribers
Here’s a link for nonNYT subscribers

And, here’s an image of the review:

And, if you feel like attempting an entrance into Kierkegaard’s body of works, this article from Medium may also be helpful.

2 Likes