The Dead Know Nothing? Near-Death Experiences at the Boundary of Scripture and Neuroscience

Terry,

I think we have reached the point where the disagreement is clear enough that there is little value in continuing to dissect each passage separately.

My argument has never depended on Genesis alone, Ecclesiastes alone, Job alone, Daniel alone, John alone, or Paul alone. That is precisely the opposite of what I have been doing. I have been asking what these witnesses establish together, because Scripture must be allowed to interpret Scripture and, as Yahshua said, “the Scripture cannot be broken.”

You continue to take each witness individually and respond that it does not, by itself, contain the entire doctrine in one sentence. I agree. It does not have to. The argument is cumulative.

Ecclesiastes says the dead know nothing. Psalm 146 says that when man’s breath departs, his thoughts perish. Job and Daniel describe the dead as resting or sleeping until awakening. Yahshua describes Lazarus as dead and asleep and goes to awaken him. Paul places the resurrection harvest at Messiah’s coming. Taken together, that testimony forms a coherent pattern: death, rest, awakening, resurrection.

What I have asked you to establish is the additional stage your interpretation requires: a dead human being remaining consciously alive, personally aware, remembering, reasoning and communicating apart from the body before resurrection.

You have not yet produced a Scripture that establishes that proposition.

And your response to Ecclesiastes illustrates why I remain unconvinced. Scripture says, “the dead know nothing.” You answer, “A corpse knows nothing.”

But the text does not say “corpse.” That is the distinction you are attempting to prove. You cannot insert an unconscious corpse and a separately conscious person into the verse and then use that distinction to explain why the verse does not mean what it says. If Scripture establishes such a distinction elsewhere, then show it. But it cannot simply be assumed.

Your appeal to 1 Corinthians 15 does not establish it either. “We shall be changed” establishes personal continuity through resurrection. I agree completely. The person raised is the person who died. But Paul places the transformation into incorruptibility and immortality at the resurrection. That does not establish continuous consciousness during death.

And John 11 does not establish it. As you yourself acknowledge, John tells us nothing about Lazarus consciously existing somewhere else during those four days. He tells us Lazarus died, Yahshua called that condition sleep, and Yahshua awakened him.

So I am not going to continue moving from passage to passage while the central premise remains unestablished.

There is also a larger issue that I cannot avoid. You asked me to identify the contradiction explicitly. Here it is:

Scripture says the dead know nothing.

Your interpretation requires dead Samuel to know, remember, reason, speak and communicate.

Those propositions cannot both be true of the same subject in the same condition and in the same sense unless Scripture itself supplies a distinction that reconciles them.

If you believe Scripture can affirm contradictory propositions in the same respect and the same sense, then one of those testimonies must be false. There is no way around the consequence. That would mean YAH’s testimony is not wholly true, and Yahshua’s declaration that “the Scripture cannot be broken” would itself become false.

I will not take that position.

YAH does not lie. YAH does not contradict YAH. YAH does not require a later inspired writer to correct an earlier divine truth. And Yahshua did not falsely declare that Scripture cannot be broken.

Therefore, when two passages appear to conflict, I do not choose the one that best supports what I already believe and qualify the others until they no longer matter. I require an interpretation that allows all of the witnesses to remain standing.

That is why I have acknowledged your strongest point in 1 Samuel 28: the narrator repeatedly identifies the figure as Samuel. I do not erase that evidence.

But neither will I erase “the dead know nothing,” “his thoughts perish,” the sleepers awaiting awakening, the resurrection order at Messiah’s coming, or Torah’s prohibition against seeking the dead merely because one difficult narrative appears to point in another direction.

Every witness must be accounted for.

If Scripture establishes conscious personal existence between death and resurrection, show me the text that does so and I will examine it. I have said that repeatedly and I mean it.

But if the argument requires changing “the dead” into “the corpse,” treating sleep as compatible with an independently conscious person whom the texts never identify, and inserting an intermediate conscious existence that no cited passage actually states, then the interpretation is carrying more weight than the Scripture.

At that point, we are no longer examining the text; we are protecting a conclusion.

I have no desire to convert you by force of argument, nor can I. My responsibility is to state the scriptural case faithfully and allow the evidence to stand.

I believe I have done that.

If you ultimately prefer another interpretation, that is your decision. But I do not think we accomplish anything by continuing indefinitely unless the missing proposition is actually established from Scripture.

So my position is now very simple:

Show me where Scripture establishes that a person who has died remains consciously alive apart from the body before resurrection.

If that Scripture can be produced, we have something substantive to examine.

If it cannot, then repeating that each individual witness does not prove the entire cumulative case by itself does not answer the case I have actually made.

Scripture cannot be broken. I am therefore not willing to preserve an interpretation by allowing one witness to nullify another.

That is where I stand.

Shalom,

Michael

  • For anyone following this exchange, Michael made essentially this same argument to me yesterday in a private thread. I answered it there, and my conclusion remains the same here, in this public thread.

I agree, Michael. Our differences make anything more than this summary needless, and may make this summary needless.

You believe the cumulative testimony of the other passages establishes that conscious personal existence between death and resurrection is impossible, and therefore 1 Samuel 28 must be interpreted accordingly. I do not believe that proposition has yet been established, and I am unwilling to exclude 1 Samuel 28 itself from the evidence by requiring it to conform to that conclusion in advance.

I am content to leave our disagreement there.

Shalom,

Terry

@seamitcell @BuffaloMax17 @1Cor15.54

2 Likes

. . . .
Those propositions cannot both be true of the same subject in the same condition and in the same sense unless Scripture itself supplies a distinction that reconciles them.
[/quote]

They are not equal propositions; indeed the Ecclesiastes piece barely counts as a proposition at all. If you want to take it as an objective universal statement, then you have to also take the assertion that “Let your garments be always white. Let not oil be lacking on your head.” – those are from the same chapter, the same speaker. Do you wear only white and do you oil your head?
By turning to the Samuel passage, those doing so are seeing that (1) it does in fact make an objective claim, i.e. that it really was Samuel who appeared and (2) this trumps the Ecclesiastes passage which is from a book that drips with hyperbole and sarcasm.

That said, neither position can be established by scripture. It’s speculative theology, which just might fall into a category Paul mentions in one of his letters.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.