The Bible, Rocks, and Time: Christians and an Old Earth (Conclusion)

The bible does not tell us why God replaced the first light (unknown) with the second light (sun) God could have easily measured days etc… with the first light, and how do I know that? because he said that He did (solas scriptura). You injected that so that it would fit with your presupposition that day is a longer period of time.

The difference is our scholarship follows a biblical model in their use of hermeneutics; whereas theistic evolutionists follow a secular scientific model

There is no difference. You are relying on the same scholarship as everyone else, while wrongly claiming you are only reading the Word of God and only relying on the Bible. Theistic Evolutionists don’t need any science at all in order to interpret Scripture. The irony is that it’s YECs who repeatedly appeal to science in their interpretation of Scripture.

Wookin, irrespective of what you think of Hugh Ross’s use of biblical hermeneutics, he makes a valid point here that, yet again, you have not addressed.

Who were the Hebrew scholars who were making the “yom with a number” argument prior to its appearance in 1970s YEC literature?

Who are the Hebrew scholars who are making the “yom with a number” argument today independently of the young-earth creation science movement?

And no, gotquestions.org is not independent of YEC. It quotes YEC claims about science verbatim with no fact-checking, including claims which can easily be shown to be untrue.

Incidentally, Hosea 6:1-2 is usually cited as an exception to this “rule.” I’ll leave it to others to argue the merits of this one.

1 Like

I find that impossible to believe as theistic evolutionists believe in ape men whereas the bible speaks of two people, Theistic evolutionists believes in billions of years as bible doesn’t even come close to hinting that. I could go on and on.

You are welcome to research the below claim, my friend :slight_smile:

“The Hebrew word yom is used 2301 times in the Old Testament. Outside of Genesis 1, yom plus a number (used 410 times) ALWAYS indicates an ordinary day, i.e., a 24-hour period. The words “evening” and “morning” together (38 times) ALWAYS indicate an ordinary day. Yom + “evening” or “morning” (23 times) ALWAYS indicates an ordinary day. Yom + “night” (52 times) ALWAYS indicates an ordinary day.”

This does not answer my questions.

1 Like

That is because the Christian worldview established it’s dominance, which in turn received 7 days from the Hebrews, who in turn said it was a command from Yahweh. You speak of different civilizations, but all civilizations came from one; Babylon before God confused their language and scattered them all over the earth. So a 7 days is not a modern Christian interpretation of Genesis 1, my friend

This isn’t about what you find impossible to believe. It’s about reality. You accept a host of things which the Bible never speaks of, such as gravity and the earth orbiting the sun, and the moon orbiting the earth, and the shape of the earth. So do other people. Accepting facts which aren’t mentioned in Scripture, isn’t an indication that you don’t accept the facts which are mentioned in Scripture.

1 Like

I gave you systematic theology, and you counter with one obscure verse (Hosea 6:1-2) that some somehow negates that a number next to day ALWAYS indicates an ordinary 24 hour a day.

Again, you’re not answering my questions. Why?

1 Like

Who were the Hebrew scholars who were making the “yom with a number” argument prior to its appearance in 1970s YEC literature?

Who are the Hebrew scholars who are making the “yom with a number” argument today independently of the young-earth creation science movement?

I do not know and why would I care. How is this germane?

All of which are observable. What you will like me to consider cannot be observed, but taken on faith that secular man is on the right track in their interpretation (imagination) totally devoid of any existence of God i.e. ape men

Because if the argument did have any merit, we would expect to see abundant references to it independent of the YEC movement. For example, atheists a hundred years ago would have been rubbing our noses in it. The atheistic propaganda machine of the Soviet Union in particular would have loved it.

2 Likes

Atheists…Soviet uniion? This is very simple: “The Hebrew word yom is used 2301 times in the Old Testament. Outside of Genesis 1, yom plus a number (used 410 times) ALWAYS indicates an ordinary day, i.e., a 24-hour period. The words “evening” and “morning” together (38 times) ALWAYS indicate an ordinary day. Yom + “evening” or “morning” (23 times) ALWAYS indicates an ordinary day. Yom + “night” (52 times) ALWAYS indicates an ordinary day.”

Wookin, once again, you’re not addressing my point, either because you don’t understand it or because you’re deliberately avoiding it.

All you’ve done here is re-stated the argument. You haven’t even attempted to explain why nobody was making it a hundred years ago.

1 Like

That’s like asking, if concussions were a problem a hundred years ago. Why didn’t the NFL or any professional football league not address it?

A hundred years ago, no one cared. The prince of preachers himself, ‘Charlse Spurgeon’ succumbed to the evolution concept that the earth was millions and billions of years old, but in all his writing and preaching, he never made the case for it, and why would he. It was a non-salvation issue. We pretended not to notice that evolution conflicted with scripture, so either we put our heads in the sand or interpreted it some other way (gap theory). What did we care? Christianity was gaining steam, people paying tithes, churches becoming powerful, ministries getting rich, Christian influence in schools, culture etc… Many ill-equipped Christians use to say, leave the science for the scientists and the bible for the believers totally forgetting that God is the God of science. But the tide has turned, Christianity is becoming more and more irrelevant in western society and Humanism (paganism) is seizing control and using evolution to question the bible or the existence of God. A famous British Atheist once wrote, He believed that Britain changed from a Christian nation to a pagan one, because of evolution. Like it or not, evolution has become a battleground.

Wrong.

A hundred years ago, the Soviet Union with its atheistic propaganda machine was a thing. If they could latch onto anything to show that the Bible and science were irreconcilable, they would have done so.

If “yom with a number” had any merit, they would have milked it for all it’s worth to show that the Bible demands a young earth and can not be understood otherwise. While at the same time, hammering home the point that the scientific evidence and a young earth are irreconcilable.

@Wookin_Panub

God also gave us John 1:1 which gives us Christians another view of Creation different from Gen. 1. It also says that Jesus Christ is the Word of God, not the Bible.

Are you aware that Jesus took issue with Gen 1 in John 5:16-17? God may be Perfect, but humans are not. God needs to speak us in incomplete pictures so we can understand what God is saying incrementally.

When I say, “no one” I am referring to Christians; not unbelievers. Please can you deep six the soviet union argument.