The Bible and Treatment of Animals

Some devil’s advocate here, how would you respond to this:

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/proverbs/commentaries/12_10.php

Sorry, I have neither the time nor the interest in reading everything people dredge up from the internet, which is truly a bottomless pit.

Yes, but the hero of Jurassic World (and the upcoming sequel) is Owen Grady (Chris Pratt), the velociraptor researcher/trainer. It’s clear that he has a loving relationship with the velociraptors. When a newbie gets into the raptor paddock and is about to become lunch, Grady persuades the security men not to fire on the velociraptors, and instead rushes in and distracts them, allowing the man to escape.

He is firmly opposed to the army’s plan to exploit the raptors as weapons. He is a true guardian of the galaxy.

“I don’t control the raptors, it’s a relationship. Based on mutual respect.”

As for a sense of wonder, didn’t anybody notice the little nephew’s eyes as the tram arrived at Jurassic World?

So now I’m wondering if the Think Christian reviewer actually saw the whole movie.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom will be released on June 22. btw, wouldn’t a movie about a dinosaur revolt on Noah’s Ark be awesome?

1 Like

The writer (whilst not denying that animals deserve compassion) is saying that the passage does not concern care for animals but rather illustrates the goodness of compassion as a whole, in particular for humans.

Genesis Park:

https://www.genesispark.com/

The Lost World: Genesis Park:

1 Like

In all seriousness I also think that the Jurassic films portray a valuable biblical message about how human rationality cannot be trusted on it’s own (we desire to play God, regardless of the consequences). I’ve heard suggestion that the first film may in fact be a retelling of Genesis 2-3.

I believe hunting animals to extinction is a sin, for God did everything in his power to prevent this during the flood.

I wouldn’t go quite that far, but I think the films really do have a moral message about the consequences of corporate greed/playing God. And there is a wise voice warning them of their folly, but he is ignored. As they said in the first film, “Hold onto your butts!”

btw, it was 25 years ago today that Jurassic Park was released!

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.