Taking COVID-19 seriously

I do think it’s a very simple concept that it’s ridiculous that grownups go years and years and years without putting even 5% of their income away for general emergency purposes and then get mad when they are told to not go to work to stop a virus being spread and then they go to work anyways against the law and get arrested and lose their business licenses and then instead of taking any fault of their own they say it’s the governments fault.

That’s what I wrote right?

Then what did I say about corona virus and y2k? Did I say I’m comparing them as events or that I’m showing how in several different events, and I mentioned a several, that you can see these waxes and wanes of fear in the general population over things such as a guy who never buys a mask while cutting wood and cement fiber and is breathing in dust all day everyday that has warning on them and then that same person who dismisses all of that gets into a fist fight over masks because he does not want tinted the corona virus?

Let’s be contextual and logical with exactly what I said and what it was about.

Yes I do feel it went over most people’s head because they are arguing points I never made and was never the focus.

I was bringing up how ridiculous it is for people to disregard their life and well being and the life and well being of others for the majority of their year and then when something pops up that’s all over they fixate on it and then move past it back into the same willful disregard.

Nothing I’ve said today had anything to do with taking the corona virus less serious. I pointed out how amusing it is that for the same amount of effort and for things we’ve known about for decades the people seem to ignore it.

It would be nice if all of life was so simple. But you can’t put away money you don’t have, and minor emergencies are pretty common for many people. Very few people in the world are in a financial position to weather a global crisis, and that’s not necessarily their fault.

I get that you’re lamenting how humans often focus more on the acute than the chronic, but that may be because it’s difficult to have the energy for both at once. Maybe this crisis will help highlight how we are capable of fighting things like climate change more aggressively, and encourage the average person to put more pressure on those in power to take it seriously. Or maybe we’ll be so burned out from taking COVID-19 seriously, as we should be, that climate change will take a back seat for a while, further highlighting how difficult it is to fight chronic problems.

1 Like

Actually … might it be true that nothing has done so much to help mitigate our bad contributions toward climate change as the coronavirus? Not saying we want it around for that reason. But it should give us all sober pause to reflect on how health for the planet means doom and woe on Wall Street; and alternately our social health (‘health’ on Wall Street) means doom and woe for our ecological future. Not exactly a great recipe for long-term prospects when we have such a dichotomous choice.

[Mother nature will always win in the end.]

2 Likes

This horrible virus is just a prelude to the full ravages of climate change.