Stephen Hawking has passed away

How is it that not believing in a fairy story is a fairy story?

The truth? Faith is the least reliable way to know something is true! By faith, you can believe anything.

If atheism is a belief then “Off” is a TV channel.

That is why it could not be the Beginning of the universe.

herefore, the main difference is that a black hole singularity is the end of space time (and pulls matter in) and the big bang singularity is the beginning of space time (where matter and space were made ‘real’). from _Answers.com

100 years ago, there was no evidence for a singularity. At that time, did we know that God did not use a singularity?

How is it that not believing in a fairy story is a fairy story?

Is this a serious response? First and foremost, it’s obvious John Lennox was just outlandishly outwitting Hawking when he said that, and curbing these ridiculous attempts to just offhand dismiss the other side. As for atheism being a fairy story, please see John Lennox’s talks, like this one at Harvard.

Atheism isn’t on as strong legs as its proponents would like to believe.

2 Likes

One thing is that it is really up to God to decide those things, and I am sure glad about that, as we know that whatever happens, God is merciful.

Frankly, I can hardly blame him for giving up on God with the theodicy issues he must have had, but I still think it is worth trying to fight the good fight anyway.

Whereas the no-boundary universe might even be the truth (though not everyone agrees on that), what is virtuous, what is right to do, why should I do right, and even why anyone should bother to want to know the truth about the universe really seems largely out of the purview of science. I would say that it is better to stay in, even if you don’t know.

All I say is maybe some of the lines from a song by Amy Grant
Why why, why, does it go this way
Why, Why, Why, and all I can say is
Somewhere down the road, there’ll be answers to the questions
Somewhere down the road, though we can not see it now
Somewhere down the road, you will find mighty arms reaching for you
And they will hold the answers at the end of the road
Somewhere down the road

Maybe a classic hymn to say is Great is Thy Faithfulness – inspired from the content around Lamentations 3:19-24
19 Remember my affliction and my wanderings, the wormwood and the gall!
20 My soul continually remembers it and is bowed down within me.
21 But this I call to mind, therefore I have hope:
22 The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end;
23 they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
24 “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.”

may he rest in peace
– by Grace we proceed

100 years ago there was no physical evidence for a singularity, but there was strong theological and philosophical evidence that God created the universe ex nihilo, which is basically the same as creating through the Big Bang with a singularity.

Thus there was evidence for a singularity almost 2000 years ago. Science contributed its evidence over the last 150 years or so.

I guess that settles that then.

Answers.com is the consensus authority on astrophysics now? That’s interesting.

You tried to define singularities as “a singular event that comes from nothing”. That’s wrong. That is not how singularity is defined.

"A gravitational singularity or spacetime singularity is a location in spacetime where the gravitational field of a celestial body becomes infinite in a way that does not depend on the coordinate system. "–Wiki

That is how singularities are defined, and nowhere does it say that they are singular events that come from nothing.

It’s the equivalent of “I’m rubber, you’re glue”.

The definition of the singularity form Wiki does not apply to the Beginning which is not a location in space/time, but the beginning of space/time.

Your definition from Answers.com said there are two kinds of singularities, the first is the black hole which is a localized end of space/time where matter/energy collapses. The singularity is re4ally not infinite, because radiation escapes and the black hole will disappear.

On the other hand the singularity that began the universe is really singular. It is the beginning of space/time and the beginning of matter/energy which are interdependent on each other as per Einstein’s Theory. Thank you Stephen and friends for explaining this to us.

?
I don’t quite understand your response.

Why not?

Nothing in the definition of singularity does it say that it has to be infinite. Also, there is no evidence that the singularity found at the beginning of our universe was infinite.

“Well, atheism is a fairy tale, too” is equivalent to the playground retort, “I’m rubber, you’re glue. Whatever you say bounces of me and sticks to you”. It just seems like a childish tactic in a grown up debate.

No, the playground insult is “you just believe in a fairy tale!” That’s the playground insult. Simply retortnig, “ugh, no, you are” is a quick demonstration of just how weak reasoning like that is.

Which doesn’t make any sense. Not believing in a fairy tale is not a belief in a fairy tale.

His ashes will be interred next to Sir Isaac Newton in Westminster Cathedral. Read the article in the Telegraph And you know who else is there? Charles Darwin. Rest in Peace. May God have mercy.

1 Like

Sorry, I have no clue what you’re talking about at this point. In my previous comment, I unequivocally established “you believe in a fairy tale” is the primary, Hawking-ian playground insult first thrown around. Not the response. It’s invalid on its face, and Lennox provides a witty response to intellectually curb this playground, arrogant statement.

At this point, you haven’t offered anything to either challenge this, or contribute to my point.

1 Like

That is what the science says!

A childish response.