Speaking of the inspired word of God

Are they recorded in the Word of God? If not, then no they are not inspired.

And I still don’t know what you think inspiration means.

If the commission was only given to the 11 does that mean we shouldn’t be sending out missionaries?

No! It was an objection to the claim that we are all called to be missionaries. Some people do not have either the temperament or the abilities to do any such thing. The world would collapse if everyone did the same thing. Civilization exists because we specialize. The notion that in order to be a good Christian everyone must live their life exactly as Christ did is just wrong headed.

1 Like

My apologies for whatever insult you inferred. I would add that you are quick to infer insults from your own misreadings and misinterpretations, which is also not gracious and definitely part of the reason I approach you somewhat defensively.

3 Likes

No one actually claimed that though, if missionary means going to another country. Vance said that is what the Great Commission implies and it was only directed at the 11 apostles. I said all Christians are called to make disciples, because the Great Commission does apply to all Christians and the Great Commission is not the only place in the Bible Christians are told to spread the gospel. You just don’t have to leave home to make disciples.

1 Like

I clicked a like on that post not to takes sides but from a similar experience that the first ad-hominem is often an accusation of ad-hominem. I say… just keep a lid on the personal comments altogether and stick to the topic!

So… the topic was… the great commission and the feeling of both 03Cobra and myself that this doesn’t mean everybody has to be a missionary. When Jesus says to be a light on a hill, I don’t think he meant works of service with a Bible behind your back which you are ready to whip out any moment.

1 Like

Agreed. But I also don’t think what you describe is a very accurate characterization of biblical “mission” either.

I interpret this to mean that you think only things found in the Bible are inspired, and the Holy Spirit speaking through a person through either prophecy or tongues and interpretation is not inspired.

Did I understand your post properly?

Amen

1 Corinthians 12:27-31 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers; then deeds of power, then gifts of healing, forms of assistance, forms of leadership, various kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But strive for the greater gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.

Ephesians 4:9-13 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

9 (When it says, “He ascended,” what does it mean but that he had also descended[a] into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is the same one who ascended far above all the heavens, so that he might fill all things.) 11 The gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ.

And:
“ Preach the Gospel at all times . When necessary, use words.” This is, perhaps, the best known and most commonly quoted statement made by St . Francis of Assisi.

Anyone actively using their spiritual gifts to edify the Church is participating in the corporate commission to make disciples.

2 Likes

If the Holy Spirit gives these gifts on people, are those persons inspired?

Did God ever stop inspiring people?

This passage came to mind:

1 Samuel 3:1

Now the boy Samuel was ministering to the Lord under Eli. The word of the Lord was rare in those days; visions were not widespread.

There do seem to be times when God is less engaged with people. Yet I think God is still active today, as I have seen His work.

Me too. I have have no difficulty with that at all. But scripture is the gold standard. If anyone claims that something is inspired and it contradicts scripture, it is not.

(I think there is a lot of ‘I felt led’ or ‘I was led’ statements that are really just excuses for failing to think well or to be wise. I’m sure that I am not the only one to have heard a YEC claim that their belief is legitimate with that kind of pseudo support.)

Dale, have you thought about the fact that the Pharisees used that same logic to dismiss Jesus as not coming from God?

They decided Jesus’ healing on the Sabbath, doing work contrary to the law, proved that Jesus was not from God.

The Pharisees valued their interpretation of scripture above the work of God being displayed right before their eyes. They rejected Jesus because they valued the scripture of the Law of Moses and their interpretation of that scripture more than the work of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus mentioned this situation with the example of David eating the food of the priests — a clear violation of your “gold standard,” yet the scriptures about David do not identify it as sin.

Just as the Sabbath was designed to serve man, not the other way around, we should consider that scripture is designed to serve man, not the other way around.

The Pharisees may have used that logic, but they didn’t understand the scriptures, did they, so their premises were wrong.

You also don’t appear to understand, as the Pharisees didn’t, that mercy trumps law, which was the case with the examples you gave.

(Yes, I have thought about those things, thank you.)

On the contrary, part of my point was that mercy trumps law, and your proclamation of a “gold standard” of scripture indicates the misunderstanding is more yours than mine.

Not. That mercy trumps law is part of that gold standard. There is no misunderstanding on my part.

It sounds like you have revised your views in the matter of a few posts.

First, anything that differed from the gold standard of scripture was wrong.

Then you revised that to mercy trumps law.

Well, that is progress, even if you are spinning it.

The misunderstanding is entirely on your part. I never suggested that mercy trumps law was not part of the scripture. In fact, check here. There has been no revision “in the matter of a few posts.”

You are spinning and not showing progress.

So, Dale, try again to clarify your answer to my question “ Are current days tongues and interpretation and prophetic utterances the result of inspiration?”

Your original answer was: “ Are they recorded in the Word of God? If not, then no they are not inspired.”

If you haven’t revised your opinion, are you still claiming that any modern message through a gift of tongues and interpretation or through prophecy is not inspired unless the words are written in scripture?

In other words, are you claiming that no gift of tongues and interpretation or prophecy is inspired unless it is just a quoting of scripture?

If you aren’t sure that is fine, but don’t be cryptic.

I don’t do well with your condescension and gross misrepresentation of what I have said. The latter fact I have already demonstrated and you are doing it again. Have a good evening.