Something From Nothing

Interestingly many authors describe their writing process as recording what their characters come up with on their own.

Many fiction writers say that their characters seem to have minds of their own. Writers sometimes report that they feel that the events in their novel, or even the words themselves, are being dictated to them outside of their conscious control. Some writers report that they need their characters to do something, presumably for some plot reason, but the character “refuses” to do it.

This feeling, the “illusion of independent agency,” is quite common. I was at a writers’ panel and one author said that her characters wouldn’t do what she said, and another writer said that he was in complete control of his characters. Marjorie Taylor surveyed 50 fiction authors and found that a full 92 percent of them experienced this phenomenon of their characters having their own agency.

1 Like

@JoshCarlsen

if you are close to Cambridge, we will be there next month hosting an event talking about science and religion in the UK. You might like it!

ttps://www.eventbrite.com/e/diving-deep-into-science-and-religion-tickets-379707564547

2 Likes

Hi Hillary!

Unfortunately, i cant make that in person but ill be sure to listen to the podcast! Im actually in the north west of England so id have to make it an overnight thing haha!

3 Likes

Josh,
The Latin words for the situation you are struggling with are *ex nihilo," which means “out of nothing”*and “de novo” which means " new beginning." The caveat is that “ex nihilo” means “nothing physical” and *de novo’*new beginnings are like the, Genesis “let there be” creations. Nothing physical, before time or space is beyond science, however, it accurately describes the mind, will and Word of the Creator. The *Bible" is not intended to be a science textbook. Still, after years of scientific and theological study, I am confident that John 1:1-3 and Genesis are true. I will list a few points to explain what I believe is biblically and scientifically solid:

• General and Special relativity is the best scientific explanation of our origin from the Initial Singularity (see Britanica or Wikipedia), which began spacetime at the second picosecond (best calculation) of time and started the Planck epoch (Big Bang.)

• No one ever has or ever will actually know how the Initial Singularity arrived with our universe and spacetime in that first picosecond (or possibly an eternity before time). So, I think there are more reasons to believe in a Creator than speculate about Black Holes, String Theories and other “shot in the dark” guesses.

• IF** you go with ex nihilo" creation*; science and theology fall neatly into their places. For instance, John 1: 1-3 is fulfilled and Genesis is an eyewitness outline of creation by the Creator himself. Remember that "without faith it is impossible to please God. At the creation you are required to choose a Creator on faith, or something else on speculation.

• IF** you continue with de novo creation; Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is the scientific tool of nature the Creator probably used to initially speak His creation into material being. The new beginnings are the “Let there be” instructions to the electromagnetic field outlined in Genesis. By the power of His Word, quantum interactions respond with Standard Model Elementary Particles. (Possibly like Jesus calmed the Sea of Gallilee.)

This is not a “God of the gaps” explanation. Only the God if the Bible could “do it” unless you prefer the Black Hole, String Theory or other speculations. And, yes, God does interact with our physical reality, Evolution is a feature of nature He put in place to maintain and develop the creation for His purposes within His guidelines. A careful examination of the anthropic principles active in our universe reveals glaring examples of His grace to humanity. Otherwise we would have gone extinct eons ago. Earth was “taylor made” for us. For example, Astrophysist Hugh Ross points out that the heavy elements and radioisotopes to make Earth and us required at least three generations of supernova many times larger than our sun to explode to provide the necessary raw materials. Yes, it turns out that we are made of star “dust.”

No, the universe was never “self existent.” It has a finite age of about 13.8 billion years old. The first nine to ten billion years were required for the three generations of supernova mentioned above, before the creation of the Milky Way galaxy and our planetary system about 3.8 to 4 billion years ago.

Finally, you pointed out the need for God’s involvement with us. Jesus explained it to Nicodemus. His Holy Spirit is alive, well, and deeply involved. Here is a sentence to ponder in light of what God is doing as explained in the little book of John. Think about this, “God works with us anonymously so we can live before Him autonomously.” If He did it any other way we would not have the freedom of choice to respond to the Holy Spirit and choose to be adopted into His family.

No, the "foundations of your faith do not rest on falsifiable evidence and yes there are good reasons to believe in the God of the Bible. His promises are true, His love is dependable, and He is faithful. The foundation of your faith must rest on the finished work of Jesus Christ because there is none other who can safely bring you into the presence of God as an adopted son. His sacrifice on the cross paid your way. Dig into the Bible and study God’s Word to understand how this all comes together.

Allowing yourself to be vulnerable is a sign of trust and deep questions are appropriate here in this safe environment.

I hope my brief comments are helpful. I am working on a 345 page manuscript to explain these things for my grandsons who are 22 to 28 and other young adults like you.

Blessings

Bill

2 Likes

@klax, “Umney’s Last Case” by Stephen King. Only thing I’ve read by him.

Josh, the Original Post (OP) for the thread is here:

There’s a link in the OP for the book we are reading, available to read online for free through Internet Archive, and our reading schedule. There are also links in the OP to slides with resources and “chapter questions” that some of us have posted.

Dig around, You are very welcome to the Forum as well as the End of Apologetics thread.

2 Likes

The most fundamental maxim of all reason, and all science, and all philosophy is the maxim, “ex nihilo nihil fit” out of nothing, nothing comes.

Nothing could be more irrational than the idea that something comes from nothing.

If there was ever a time when there was nothing, the only thing there could possibly be now couldn’t possibly be now. Because the only thing there could be would be nothing and nothing is not something.

Not even a little something, not even a microscopic something, not even a subatomic something—it is nothing. And if there ever was a time when there was nothing, there would be nothing now. So there always had to be something—something that had the very power of being within itself or nothing could possibly be.

I rest my faith on that

1 Like

If we discuss our belief that God created everything, than we are involved in theological matters. If otoh we discuss science, than we are facing difficulties as science deals with what is, and nothing in this context is an absurdity. Philosophically, I am aware with being and non-being, although I think people such as Satre have written on being and nothingness.

My understanding re theological discussions is that the creation is sustained by the Energies of God, and this doctrine has been discussed for many centuries, mainly by Orthodox Christian theologians. It is within these discussions that we may reason on creation from nothing.

Then your faith is on unreasoned, unreasonable, unscientific, non-philosophical ground.

Science and rationality beyond it have no such maxim. The opposite in fact.

Existence is not rational. Nature’s, let alone God’s.

Something and nothing have always co-existed. Nothing is the ground of being. Nothing is the eternal source of being. It is in nothing that quantum noise starts. The signal is silence.

Faith has to rest on that.

The ‘energies’ of God, whatever they are, are not nothing. If God grounds being, from eternity, for infinity, despite their being no rational requirement, that’s something.

Believing not only that a cake can’t bake itself, but that a cake can’t be baked if cake ingredients don’t exist is “on unreasoned, unreasonable, unscientific, non-philosophical ground” ???

Clearly something has always existed. How can that be anything less than a brute fact?

Vinnie

I agree, eternal infinite nature is the brute fact below all.

Piece of cake.

1 Like

Maybe we should talk about an infinite regress of cats.

“Let’s not”, and just pretend somebody did that already and got nowhere with it.

Let’s make it a rhetorical question, since the implication is… implicit.

Oh!! in that case, let sleeping cats lie. :zzz:

Exactly! And just as true whether that be prior existing conditions nestled all the way down like Hindu turtles or a slumbering creator God.

1 Like

Except the sum total of our possible and “probe-able” reality appears to have begun 13.7 billion years ago. All the space-time, matter, energy and dimensions of our universe with physical constants that also appear hardwired for life is not the eternal infinite nature. No proof but I’m a simple man. If it quacks like a duck…

Vinnie

How many fallacies do you see there?

Zero but I see language and human ability to comprehend and describe things at this high of a level breaking down. It’s like we’ve finally reached the end point of what science, real science, can tell us. In other words, we found God:

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” Jastrow