"Soft Tissue" again

Hi @r_speir -

The way you have defined the nature of the problem has already made the practice of science impossible.

Once you say that, any ability to practice scientific investigation is gone. If I agree with your premise, there’s no point in attempting science because we have no way to translate observation into inference.

I want to make it clear, though, that you are not making the claim, frequently heard, that “we are looking at the same data, we just come to different conclusions because our worldviews are different.” No!

Your worldview claim is that it is impossible to come to any conclusion based on any geological data.

Given the nature of your claim, it is indeed possible to make any progress.

Peace,
Chris Falter

EDIT: It’s also worth pointing out that your worldview claim, @r_speir, does not even have any basis in Scripture. You could claim on the basis of a literalistic interpretation of Genesis 7 that the heavens have physical windows above the clouds that were opened on a one-time basis to let the water in the heavens flow down to earth. You could also claim that literally oceans of water came forth from underground. However, lava flows are not recorded in Genesis 7.

4 Likes

Well stated, Chris. R_speir doesn’t seem to grasp that this kind of selective dismissal of science actually dismisses ALL of science.

Of course, it is also a glaring example of the Kruger-Dunning Effect. Does r_speir ever wonder why the scientists who spend lifetimes investigating radiometric dating are impressed by its accuracy—while those non-scientists who don’t understand it have so easily dismissed it? Why hasn’t some PhD student made himself famous by publishing a paper exposing the worthlessness of radiometric dating? For that matter, why doesn’t r_speir publish such a paper and help out the scientific world in that world? (So much money is spent on RM and he could save us all that money!)

2 Likes

At this point, we usually hear about conspiracy theories and the like.

1 Like

The series of BioLogos articles begins here The Bible, Rocks, and Time: Christians and an Old Earth. I don’t believe the information on magma cooling was included in the series. It is Chapter 11 “Of Time, Temperature and Turkeys” in the book.

Sorry if you mentioned it before and I missed it, but are you thinking about extrusive or intrusive igneous rocks? I initially assumed you were talking about intrusive rocks. The book talks about both types. Now that I have glanced over Chapter 11 I think you may be talking about extrusive igneous rocks. Think volcanos.

So in which are you interested?

Post deleted

@r_speir

So you have invented a “science” which asserts that all geological processes are impossible to measure because of the admittedly bizarre circumstances of global flood sediments.

I don’t think you have a leg to stand on. You are using fantasy-science to justify rejection of real science.

George

2 Likes