Signing doctrinal statements

This is creepy. And why not just teach good morals?

How would all the companies who sell ‘purity jewelry’ make their money if the Christians thought just teaching good morals and buying jewelry from pagans was the way to go? These people have to feed their families too. You probably don’t think there’s a need for Scripture candy either. Or Christian lingerie and ‘intimacy products’ for when you cash in those purity rings. No sense of entrepreneurship, there.

1 Like

Chastity belts might be the way to go.

Now, the Mormon leaders exercise the most control over the lives of their congregants. Anybody can go to a local Mormon church, but to be able to enter a Mormon temple is quite the ordeal. (And the temple is where all the important stuff happens.) To get in, a Mormon must obtain a “temple recommend.” For this, he faces a detailed interview by a bishop and must produce documentation such as tax returns that shows he has paid his tithes and whatever. He’s also grilled on his personal life. And this recommend is no lifetime pass, either. Not sure how often it must be renewed; just glad I’m not part of it.

1 Like

I looked at your links. Is this stuff for real and not from the Babylon Bee? Good grief.

1 Like

Well described, @beaglelady !

And the whole time, all he can think about is his sacred under-garment bunching up right where he normally pockets his wallet. It’s all very distracting …

1 Like

We saw what happened with the US division of World Vision seeking to be like the world with changes in their doctrinal statement.

Change of leadership can bring strong or weaker DS.
DS is important because doctrinal creep happens.
DS clarifies definitions because we all have a tendency to interpret to convenience.

I think that this is right–the purity ring seems to have been an understandable reaction to a destructive force (promiscuity has never been tolerated in any successful culture; we see the sadness that results from unstable families from sexual infidelity all the time) ; but as followers of God, we don’t have to let ourselves (we shouldn’t let ourselves) be defined by a reaction. Christ is much bigger than that.

Our society seems to define itself by causes and the accompanying emotionalism; both of these tend to oppose Christ’s mission. We forget empathy and personhood in this morass.

It’s even from the reason, I think, that my parents did not naturally carry crosses, use bumper stickers or other identifying markers. It mirrored their personality, which showed in their interactions. Their first act on meeting someone was not to declare what they were about, but to listen, and ask what the other found important.

3 Likes

I signed a doctrinal statement like this when I first joined our church 13 years ago. At the time, I was able to get a pass on the evolution issue as the pastor was not a legalist and he agreed that I could accept evolution. I didn’t think in great detail on the inerrancy issue; at the time, I was a strong concordist. Reading and taking Denis Lamoureux’ course in the last 2 years encouraged me that one could be a faithful Christian and not a concordist; so I’m not sure that I would pass that muster this time, by their definitions. However, the statement has changed now, and while my church is still YEC and very inerrantist, I don’t think they include it as a prominent portion.
The original version also was written near the repeal of Prohibition, and as a result, it actually forbade drinking. No one could hold church government positions who drank. The incoming pastor who had the statement changed was a Brethren background (open), who pointed out that it’s not biblical to forbid that; that part was dropped a few years ago.
It’s a good point that Christy made, that we are all going through our own adjustments to sometimes rapidly changing perceptions; we all need grace in that.

Great post. Thanks. I’m more amazed by that “2 YEARS LATER” label at the top.

2 Likes

It remains relevant today. I am on a new deacon selection committee at church (moderate SBC affiliated, though mainly Baptist General Convention of Texas, if that means anything to you as far as church politics) and we were discussing various changes in stance. The last cycle we ordained several divorced men as deacons which was a big change, and allowed men to serve as deacons who may have an alcoholic drink on occasion, which is also a big change. The question we are considering now is whether to ordain women as deacons. I think that at least a simple majority are fine with it, but whether our church culture is ready is another question, as we would probably lose a few families if we did. It will be interesting.

2 Likes

Interesting topic…

I have never had to sign a doctrinal statement – never had official employment with a church organization. I don’t have a strenuous objection to the idea. Seems to me, this is an issue with honesty in working with a church organization. I definitely have deal breakers and they would tie back to those reasons I believe in any of this stuff in the first place as I often link back to.

Just recently rejoined the UMC church of my parents, all they asked me was to obey the Gospel of Jesus Christ, resist sin and evil and be a faithful member of the church. the UMC is very liberal and open so though if I were in charge I would go a bit further in theological unity but that would just be me being the theological Wesleyan-Methodist conservative that I am.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.