Should BioLogos produce science textbooks for college use?

Because it wasn’t such an important conference (according to organizer Pigliucci, anyway). Besides, I have other reading to do. There is no reason why I should not have read “Nonsense on Stilts.” It was a real eye-opener.

We first need to find out how old Newman is.

1 Like

You mean you don’t remember preaching that the older generation doesn’t have the latest and greatest training in evolutionary theory? You preached it over and over and over again. And recently also.

No, YOU are the one not answering questions. You can’t possibly forget all the times you preached that the older generation doesn’t have the latest and greatest training in evolutionary theory. You can’t contradict yourself like that without offering an explanation.

Have you honestly forgotten the many times you have preached that the older generation is not up-to-date on the latest and greatest in evolutionary theory? Seriously?

I am only a little bit curious about Newman; I might read up on him later. From a reliable source, not your Suzan. I have no idea what Miller thinks about him, perhaps you do? Differences of opinion are common among scientists, which I think is healthy.

Hello Eddie,

I’ve reviewed some of your comments in this forum.

Why do your comments on evolutionary biology contain nothing about evolutionary mechanisms and concepts beyond “random mutation plus natural selection” and “drift”? Why do your comments about science consist almost entirely of recitations of authors’ names, as though that demonstrates an understanding of concepts and evidence? How does that contribute to understanding for others? Elsewhere, Steve gently pointed this out but you did not engage in any substantive discussion with him.

For me, your insistence that you’ve READ vast amounts of material, coupled with your frantic flinging around of authors’ names as some sort of mantra, only serves to point to a lack of UNDERSTANDING of evolutionary biology.

1 Like

To me, it’s also important to present evidence for claims one makes. You’ve made a claim about generational differences. Could you please supply some evidence to support that claim?

There are several misunderstandings in this single sentence. First, Shapiro is really not an evolutionary biologist either. He’s clearly kept up to date on the subject, but that’s not his field of research, as far as I can tell. Second, Shapiro has got ideas about evolution, ideas that he’s been promoting for more than 25 years, but those ideas are really not part of modern evolutionary theory; he’s decidedly a fringe voice. (Looking at all of his papers that look like they touch on his proposals subject since 1990, collectively they’ve been cited 600+ times. That’s not the record of a thought leader in a field.) Third, “random mutation plus natural selection” is not only a formula that was taught in the last century. It’s also the heart of much of evolutionary biology today. As I said previously, I’ve heard and read lots of formal scientific presentations about evolution, all within the last 15 years or so. In all of them, I’ve heard the specific ideas or the name of Shapiro, Wagner and Newman precisely zero times, while I’ve heard about natural selection and mutations (yes, random mutations) literally thousands of times.

It would be really helpful if you could choose some particular points of contemporary evolutionary biology that matter to Christian theology. Mostly, I still have no idea what you’re actually complaining about.

When I just used the search function on the BioLogos homepage “evo-devo” yielded two pages of results including a blog series by Carroll himself and and links to explanatory videos in an Applegate post. It’s hardly being ignored.

http://biologos.org/blogs/archive/endless-forms-most-beautiful-part-1

Just keeping you honest. :wink:

You are an example to all. If I had access to Brad’s stash of forum bonus points, I might give you some. Have a cookie. :cookie: