Should "Bible" = "Word of God"?

I am sorry but we really have to rubbish this whole notion that Scripture can only work if perfect. It is based on the ridiculous notion that we are not able to decide what is real and what is not. I can tell the difference between theology and science. So if there is something that does not match up to current scientific knowledge that will not affect the theology in any shape or form. And just because there are errors in science does not invalidate the theology behind the narratives involved.

Richard

When we share and discuss, we all teach and learn if we are willing.

I just sold my 2003 Mustang Cobra convertible this year, after driving it for 17 years. 2003 was first year they were supercharged.

The supercharger gives a long, flat, and high torque curve ā€” with more than 320 foot-pounds at the rear wheels from 1900 to 6200 rpm.

1 Like

The apocrypha was added in the forth century at the Council of Carthage at the same church council that first identified the 27-book New Testament as canonical.

Donā€™t you agree?

And the apocrypha was still in the 1611 KJV more than 1200 years later.

Do you have a different history, Bill?

Liam, I quoted the specific and supporting passages from Metzgerā€™s book.

You havenā€™t supported your position with any quotes from the books you recommend,

You seem to have misread or misinterpreted Metzger. He clearly stated the early church leaders viewed the canon as inspired, and many other documents as inspired.

If you have scholarly work disagreeing with Metzger, you should present it.

As for: ā€œShould I or Dale at any point argue that the Patristic writers used inspiration as a criteria of canonical status, feel free to quote Metzger to your heartā€™s content.ā€

I note you did not present that argument. You can find many non- or wannabe scholars say inspiration is unique to the canon. But I welcome your showing such an opinion from someone whose training and knowledge approaches Metzger, who supported his views with early church leadersā€™ quotes.

Nobody here is advocating that. To affirm the canon, i.e. Christian Scriptures, i.e. the Bible as the word of God is to affirm that it is inspired revelation from God and authoritative for the Christian faith. It does not imply inerrancy; it does not imply the every word was dictated by God or was quoting God. Those are extra ideas that people bring to the concept of revelation, but they arenā€™t entailed by it.

I just want to reiterate what BioLogos resources say about this issue:

The Bible holds an essential place in Christian faith. The Bible claims to beā€”and the Church has recognized it asā€”the Word of God. The Church through the ages has acknowledged this status by referring to the Bible as its canon, which means that the Bible is the written standard for its faith and practice.

I encourage people to check out Tremper Longmanā€™s article, which addresses many ideas that have been touched on here.

2 Likes

Rather than leave this thread with annoyance (the internet equivalent of flipping a table and storming off) as I did in the last post. I instead want to thank everyone for their contributions and trust that the conversation will continue to envolve without me (Iā€™ll still be muting this thread).

All the best everyone. L

2 Likes

Strange, since the Bible never claims to be the Word of God. I wonder why he would make that claim and not support it in the article.

An algebra textbook does not need to contain the word ā€˜algebraā€™, and likewise for history and several other subjects as well. Funny, huh.

Your example is not like for like. Calling something history does not evoke any authority, likewise algebra. Clearly the specific name of ā€œThe Word of Godā€ is more evocative and / or provocative.

Try again. (or the laugh is on you)

Richard.

It doesnā€™t have to be like for like, does it. Maybe you havenā€™t heard that an analogy is a three-legged horse.

(Youā€™re trying. :slightly_smiling_face: Iā€™m laughing ā€“ well, chuckling, anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:)

Dale.

Donā€™t textbooks evoke authority without claiming to?

Got to say this is a most amazing thread. 535 posts?! Arguing over what is IMO minutiae. Why is this?

1 Like

I agree. Sort of like watching the waves at the beach. Oddly transfixing.

2 Likes

Ahh, but to some it is the core of their faith. If the bible is not what they claim then their whole modus operandi for quoting and proofs goes out the window, big time.

Richard

Not me. Calculus exists with or without the textbook, but guess how we learn about it.

Dale

Not the record though. :slightly_smiling_face: This one is rather large:

A.Suarezā€™s Treatment on a Popeā€™s Formulation for Original Sinā€™s Transmission!

Okay, so why are you so adamant that the text be perfect?

Richard