Should "Bible" = "Word of God"?

Why do you attribute this to Paul if you believe it is the Word of God?

I am still waiting on that dictionary entry for Bible that says “Word of God.”

And it is your opinion that people are not misled by calling the Bible the “Word of God.” How would you know that? Even if you have never met people misled by the misapplied term, I have certainly communicated with people who were misled into the doctrine of inerrancy in whole or in part by the use of the term “Word of God” for the Bible.

No, I certainly do not see how my arguments fail.

Because they are in English and not Hebrew or Greek?

I don’t want to play that game. I already showed you one that says they are synonyms. The more important evidence I showed you is all the in context usages where Word of God cannot mean anything other than Bible.

It is only as misleading as calling buildings churches and calling the message of salvation through Jesus’ death the gospel. Yes, maybe sometimes some people get confused, but language never communicates perfectly. They can always ask for clarification. The fact that the use of the Word of God in some hypothetical context may not be perfectly clear does not erase the fact that it usually is very easy to understand what people mean when they use it. People making claims about the Bible (it’s inerrant, it’s dictated by God, etc.) is not the same thing as using a widely known label to refer to the Bible, a label that has a theological history in the English-speaking church. I have communicated with lots of people who have mistaken concepts of all kinds of things. I don’t automatically assume I am therefore using the wrong words. People don’t form their concepts from the labels, they try to find appropriate labels for their concepts.

2 Likes

If that is a question, it will need more clarification.

I know many Christians calling the Bible “the word of God” who were not misled into the doctrine of inerrancy.

2 Likes

What @Christy has said clarifies it adequately.

1 Like

No, you showed an entry for Word of God that indicated it could mean Bible.

You did not show an entry for Bible that had the definition “Word of God.”

Try looking up church in the dictionary and you will see how your argument fails.

I did. It doesn’t.

1 Like

Vance, if you notice, you brought up the ‘Word of God’ here not @Mervin_Bitikofer. In the post you respond to he uses the word ‘bible’, see:

As to the question you pose, I’d reply with a question of my own if I may:

• in the biblical narrative who is responsible for the Jewish people going into exile? The Lord or The Babylonians?

Apparently not well

How is that relevant?

If you’d be so kind as to answer the question, I’d gladly explain the relevance.

In your humble opinion.

Okay. I give up. I hope other people found the discussion enlightening.

2 Likes

How is @Christy’s exposition contrary to that?

That may be the wise option. :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t disagree with your position, Vance. During a child’s formation of conscience (2yr. to teens?) becoming acquainted with Scripture can be extremely important, but IMHO, arguing over the details of how God chose the method of communicating with us, that can be distracting . I reach this conclusion after interacting with scientists (mostly chemists) for almost 70 yrs. and seeing so many of them, who were raised in Christian homes, abandon their Faith because they have seen so much quibbling over details and not enough inspiration to encourage them to lead a virtuous life; i.e., they decide that Socrates gives them better advice than do their pastors.
blessings,
Al Leo

1 Like