Serial Killers and Morality

I disagree obviously with a lot of what you said.

Yes I live alone. Even if I did not he can’t get into my house without me being here. It’s hard to meet people in public places and talk to them in depth about God and have them really open up. Not everyone is meant to do everything. Lots of people I study with are people who are in similar situations. I often work with ministers who do prison ministry and help felons in jail be able to get out on parole by getting them jobs with construction clean up crews. As a Christian and citizen of USA I believe it’s my duty to help rehabilitate men and women and give them a real second chance in actions and not just words. If I called the cops on every drug user I am studying the Bible with who breaks down about robbing a house, or have drugs on them I would never get anywhere with them.

As for Juan we studied with him for a long time. Me, and several other brothers even got him off the streets and into an apartment. He lost his one job and we ended up getting him a job putting gym equipment together for a store. As stated we went over with him about the difference between repenting and being forgiven and how that does not erase crimes, just sins. As far as I know it’s true. I have no reason to believe he lied since he turned himself into prison and a disciple from the same city within the CoC met him and traveled with him from California to Mexico and to the prison. So I had no reason to call the cops.

When my fiancée does move here some things will change. Most of the time I am already talkings with people outside in my backyard or in my barn with the ac. Rarely does anyone come into my house without me knowing them except for when it’s acquaintances of friends or family that needs a safe place to sleep for a few days. Once my fiancée is here, that will completely stop. It essentially already has now.

If the worse case scenario ever comes up I was in the military for six years and went to the gun range already every week for four years. I have shot people before and i plan on getting another gun in the future for when my fiancée is here and if needed I can aim center mass in second within 50 feet and fire a round. Small arms training goes over hip verses line of sight techniques. Unless it’s obviously a larger weapon like ms16a2 or m4 I prefer hip shooting. Unless it’s a crowded place and even then it’s only a fraction of a section longer. However, hopefully none of that will ever come into place but I’m not some lollipop gagging boy ignorant to violent people. But what I am is someone who understands that those people also still need to hear from a christ. If someone is dangerous, and I think cops need to be called I will. I’ve done it several times. But it’s not always necessary.

With Juan after a few years of on and off studying with him he got to the point that he was willing to count the cost and repent and be baptized into Christ. So that’s what we did. A day before his baptism he confessed. A few days after his baptism he left with a minister. I strongly believe we made the right choice.

I do understand your concern though.

One thing to consider is that with strangers you never know who they are either. We can go off of gut feelings ( subconscious data analysis on things like body language ) and direct in your face issues like someone getting mad. You may have grown up in a very different environment than me. Some people freak out over someone yelling. Some are not phased by it. Some grew up with lots of older cousins and have gotten in fights their whole life and have had people who are genuine friends and get into arguments that results in fighting later followed by apologizing and becoming stronger and stronger friends and all kinds of scenarios. I’m not worried about the guy. He’s a guy who had a crappy life and has anger issues and is becoming a better person. We are still studying the Bible together and I will still continue to study the Bible with him. I don’t go out looking for crappy people to share the gospel with. I also just refuse to ignore them.

Before becoming to Christ I was a very mean spirited person. The handful of guys who studied the Bible with me for many months before I accepted the truth was committed to me and it’s that love and commitment that helped bring me to Christ. I’ve cussed them out, ive slapped drinks out of their hands, and shoved them. I thought several times after freaking out and walking off that there was no way they would ever come back around. But they did. Not blindly. They told me how I hurt them, they told me it angered them, and how they woke up at 430 on the morning to get to my apartment by 530 to study the Bible with me before they went to work at 7. The met me because they knew I would never show up at their apartment 30 minutes away. Sometimes they would show up, and I would be so tired I would look out the window and see them and just lay back down in bed blowing them off.

Finally one named Joe told me that everytime I agree to meet them they will come. Even if I blow them off a hundred times they will make that’s sacrifice and come meet me. Their commitment made me want to be more committed to my promises to them. They put up with me drunk calling them at 3am in the morning for a ride and many other very crappy selfish things. Often completely aware that I was purely taking advantage of them. They did not care because to them they were making sacrifices out of love. If God would not have sent those people into my life, especially the way he did, I never would have been brought to Christ. Especially since at that time I already thought I was saved. I ignored my fruit. I justified by badness by claiming goodness because of a handful of random things I’ve done that was good.

So for me I feel that it’s part of my duty to put up with crap while broken people find Christ. That includes some crappy people. These people are not even the worse to me personally. Studied with a drug addict stripper who almost got me jumped twice when I came to get her and give her a ride to my cousin. Not studying with her now because she’s in jail. She’s gotten made and kicked my mirrors off my truck before. People who are lost are often big headaches. I know that someone has to be willing to share the gospel with them. I know for a fact many of these people never even hear the gospel from someone whose actually trying to share the truth with them.

2 Likes

Then that means that their actions are predetermined? Isnt thst unjust from Gods part to let these people on their own?

You speak of the wiring of the brain like this is exclusively a product of genetics or something prenatal. But we know for a fact that this is wrong. A good portion of our “wiring” is a product of learning and development and thus influenced by environmental conditions. Thus I strongly doubt your claim that psychopaths are born that way. I am quite willing to acknowledge that there is likely to be considerable variation in the tendency to psychopathology in the newborn (i.e. due to genetic factors). That is reasonable. But I think you go a little too far in what you say (or imply). I don’t think the evidence supports a claim that this is exclusively genetic or that all psychopaths are simply born that way.

Perhaps talking this way is born of pragmatic reasons of assuring parents that this is not their fault. I believe pragmatic reasoning lies behind similar claims about other behavioral phenomenon. But these pragmatic reasons don’t make it true. And ultimately these untruths can do more harm in the long run.

No. Actions are not predetermined. I realize you’re not a native English speaker, but you keep confusing “predetermined” with “predisposed.” Predetermined means that the person has no choice – every action is determined in advance. Predisposed means that the person is inclined to make certain choices, but neither biology nor upbringing/environment determines those choices in advance.

What we’re talking about is a birth defect. Does spina bifida or cystic fibrosis make God unjust? I don’t think so. The fact that the problem occurs in the brain rather than the body doesn’t change the equation.

See here, again …

No, it’s coming from the scientific research. I could pass along more, but what I do share is mostly ignored, so I’m moving on.

That’s good work. I did a prison Bible study for five years before I started working in the system. My biggest complain was always the lack of programs/services for those newly-released from prison. Churches are eager to send volunteers to visit prisoners but not so quick to help those same folks after they’re released.

Not entirely. I grew up in a neighborhood where fights were an everyday occurrence. From middle school on, I was suspended from school at least once a year for fighting. Now, I live in the barrio, don’t own a gun, and only bother to lock my doors when I leave the house. I’m not a fearful person.

What I’m trying to impress upon you is how dangerously unpredictable psychopaths are. Your friend isn’t just someone who had a crappy life and has anger issues. That describes half the prison population. A true psychopath is rare and a totally different ballgame. Never, ever let your guard down when dealing with them.

Finally, you may choose to take risks with your own safety, but you don’t have the right to put friends, family, or the public at risk. Turning a blind eye to drug use and petty crime is one thing. Ignoring serious crimes like rape and murder is something else entirely. You took a huge risk with other people’s lives. Please, please never do that again.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.