Scientific evidence for any fine tuning?

Given the false claims that followed that statement I’m not sure why we should give any weight to your opinion.

500 years ago we couldn’t reproduce lightning in the lab. That didn’t mean Zeus was hurling lightning from the heavens.

We understand the processes of mutation quite well.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21322/

I don’t think you have a full understanding of how common mutations are in coding regions. I took a quick look at the human gene MMP3 and I count over 500 known missense mutations in that gene alone. Most of them are rare and many are tolerated just fine.

http://uswest.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Gene/Variation_Gene/Table?db=core;g=ENSG00000149968;r=11:102835801-102843609

Then those scientists are wrong. The chances of humans having those mutations is 1 in 1, because it happened. What you are falling for is called the Sharpshooter fallacy. No matter which mutations occurred the chances of those specific mutations is 1 in trillion and trillions. The very process of evolution guarantees that we will see extremely unlikely outcomes.

These basic mistakes alone cast serious doubt on the reliability of your opinion. I can address your other claims if you wish.

3 Likes

I’m under the impression the multiverse is suspected as a potential byproduct of quantum mechanics and cosmic inflation.

But to be clear. I don’t know enough about quantum anything let alone physics and mechanics , and I have no idea what the science for inflation. I’m just parroting what I see as various things I’ve read, though by scientists on it.

Most would say 5 major mass extinctions.

if it’s not a secret, what are these reasons? I am experiencing a crisis of faith, so the opinions of other believers are very important to me. thanks.

Even if there were (hypothetically) multiverses, that would not incapacitate the God who is from providential intervention, as Herr Doktor @Klax’s straitjacketed one is. Multiverse theory is also preferable to nontheists, because it allows there to be no beginning.

Read Maggie’s testimony, and maybe follow the advice given at the end of Tim Keller’s book:

During a dark time in her life, a woman in my congregation complained that she had prayed over and over, “God, help me find you,” but had gotten nowhere. A Christian friend suggested to her that she might change her prayer to, “God, come and find me. After all, you are the Good Shepherd who goes looking for the lost sheep.” She concluded when she was recounting this to me, “The only reason I can tell you this story is—he did.”

Tim Keller, The Reason for God, p.240

As Maggie’s testimony demonstrates, God can providentially intervene without breaking any natural laws. He is sovereign over time and place and timing and placing. People who pooh-pooh God’s providence could think that someone could win five lotteries in a day without something being rigged, and then someone else the next day.

1 Like

Is the question “‘why do I believe in God despite not personally believing in any concrete evidence for his existence?”

No secrets on my end. At least not about my faith.

It’s definitely understandable that if someone is raised up to believe in a perfect Bible without flaws in a world where science clearly points towards a creator and then they find themselves realizing some of the gaps in the Bible snd they realize how ID and YEC just seems to always fall short to suddenly find themselves deconstructing their faith and struggling. It’s very common and almost everyone goes through through phases to various degrees.

For me the things that mostly help me are rather simple arguments.

1. Science does not know everything. We don’t really understand cosmic inflation, multiverses and so on. It’s so grand it goes beyond what we can figure out at the moment. Even if a multiverse is proven and it explains our particular universe it simply pushes back the question of where did the multiverse comes from? How did cosmic inflation begin. If you keep backtracking “ where did this come from “ science eventually starts hitting “ we don’t know right now”. I personally do find God in gaps and I do find God in unlikely coincidences. It seems like it’s a forever door that God can life in. But this is no evidence. It’s faith. I can’t prove in orbs exists by pointing to the fact that someone can’t say they don’t exist in another dimension. There lack of answers does not mean my answer is true or evidence. But nonetheless in the gaps of science and history I fill them in with Yahweh through faith.

2. This is a other issue of faith. I feel something calling. I feel a tug at my soul and it won’t go away. No matter the doubt I face, there is this tugging, pushing and pulling towards God. I simply believe in a higher power. I understand people from every faith can make that claim. At times I feel a tug towards other things. But I always find myself back on Yahweh. I can’t shake him. No matter how much doubt there is. No matter how much peer pressure there is. No matter how equally convinced others are of something different t I find myself drawn towards God. I have faith that it is the Holy Spirit searching my heart and influencing it.

3. This is also a issue of faith. Ive experienced things in my life thst I believe are miracles. Not miracles like those shown by the laying on of hands where a man howls like a beast and breaks steel and tosses people around only to be silenced and healed by words. It’s not a corpse sitting back up taking in air and it’s not stage four cancers being healed instantly by finger tips. Instead I’ve had a few prayers and coincidences happen that seems as if it’s directed by the supernatural. One on one I can come up with statistics on coincidences. I could possibly explain away each one. But the sheer number leaves me to istead place faith in God.

So ultimately it’s looking at the world through the lens of faith.!

3 Likes

And the score is: splitters 10, lumpers 5 … maybe 6.

That’s a little outdated (maybe 20 years). There are five really big ones with enough data to be obvious: the Precambrian ones are speculative, the Cambrian ones were only recognized within the last five years, and the end Cenomanian one blurs into the P-T boundary.

2 Likes

(See my previous response)

The American Museum of Natural History lists 5 major ones. I’m sure there were smaller ones. I’m also pretty sure we’re in the middle of one.

I’m always a bit curious about the various debates of mass extinctions and how much of it was major die offs versus how much of it was simply better fossil making environments and times.

Most of the extinctions also are centered on animals.

Do y’all have any info concerning how quantum sciences could play into a way God could manipulate a extinction?

Information is the problem (and the processing of it…). There is nothing that breaks the statistical surface. No signal in the noise. You’re not suggesting that God would cause Chicxulub of course, that would make Him infinitely worse than Satan, as usual, but that by altering what would have been the spins of electrons by His foreknowledge of those absolutely uncertain events, He made sure a particular rat survived that wouldn’t have done otherwise and here we are?

1 Like

That’s essentially how I see it but I wanted to remove any biased set ups as much as possible in my question. But ultimately I think we agree that there is no evidence for fine tuning in anyway. You can look at all the coincidences and use faith as a thread connecting them but thread will always only be theologically and philosophically and never scientific.

1 Like

Real faith can have nothing whatsoever to do with nature, is in spite of nature. To make nature subject to faith, change, to conform to faith, is just cognitive bias and degrades, devalues, demeans both. Is mere superstition.

Real faith does not make nature subject to itself. Real faith recognizes that nature is subject to God. That in no way degrades, devalues nor demeans either faith or nature. Some cognitive biases are correct.

I still view it as i originally said. I find god in nature and it’s through faith, not science.

Of course. Those of us with faith can echo this, though:

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:28

And if we didn’t know that God was sovereign over nature, including time and timing and place and placing, we couldn’t.

The phrase “fine tuning” is an unfortunate choice - the evidence that science has provided is overwhelming in that all that we can observe is consistent with the universe as unique, and remarkably conducive to life as we understand it. Thus the often stated - if a particular value for a constant were changed by such, things would not occur. Those who argue against this provide speculation and wishful thinking, but no scientific evidence that can be tested.

It can also mean collectively all those in Christ ends up being saved. So therefore all things work for the better of them. It’s definitely not about this life snd the nature that governs it because Christians die everyday in horrible ways. Christians end up in really bad positions every day. Christians have been tortured , along with their families until they die. Christians have been killed in mudslides, drowning because of rip currents, from covid, and animal attacks. So it seems the better is not about the quality of this life but the hope in the resurrection.

1 Like