Scientific evidence for any fine tuning?

The American Museum of Natural History lists 5 major ones. I’m sure there were smaller ones. I’m also pretty sure we’re in the middle of one.

I’m always a bit curious about the various debates of mass extinctions and how much of it was major die offs versus how much of it was simply better fossil making environments and times.

Most of the extinctions also are centered on animals.

Do y’all have any info concerning how quantum sciences could play into a way God could manipulate a extinction?

Information is the problem (and the processing of it…). There is nothing that breaks the statistical surface. No signal in the noise. You’re not suggesting that God would cause Chicxulub of course, that would make Him infinitely worse than Satan, as usual, but that by altering what would have been the spins of electrons by His foreknowledge of those absolutely uncertain events, He made sure a particular rat survived that wouldn’t have done otherwise and here we are?

1 Like

That’s essentially how I see it but I wanted to remove any biased set ups as much as possible in my question. But ultimately I think we agree that there is no evidence for fine tuning in anyway. You can look at all the coincidences and use faith as a thread connecting them but thread will always only be theologically and philosophically and never scientific.

1 Like

Real faith can have nothing whatsoever to do with nature, is in spite of nature. To make nature subject to faith, change, to conform to faith, is just cognitive bias and degrades, devalues, demeans both. Is mere superstition.

Real faith does not make nature subject to itself. Real faith recognizes that nature is subject to God. That in no way degrades, devalues nor demeans either faith or nature. Some cognitive biases are correct.

I still view it as i originally said. I find god in nature and it’s through faith, not science.

Of course. Those of us with faith can echo this, though:

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:28

And if we didn’t know that God was sovereign over nature, including time and timing and place and placing, we couldn’t.

The phrase “fine tuning” is an unfortunate choice - the evidence that science has provided is overwhelming in that all that we can observe is consistent with the universe as unique, and remarkably conducive to life as we understand it. Thus the often stated - if a particular value for a constant were changed by such, things would not occur. Those who argue against this provide speculation and wishful thinking, but no scientific evidence that can be tested.

It can also mean collectively all those in Christ ends up being saved. So therefore all things work for the better of them. It’s definitely not about this life snd the nature that governs it because Christians die everyday in horrible ways. Christians end up in really bad positions every day. Christians have been tortured , along with their families until they die. Christians have been killed in mudslides, drowning because of rip currents, from covid, and animal attacks. So it seems the better is not about the quality of this life but the hope in the resurrection.

1 Like

The universe is unique just like the infinity of others from eternity. Mediocre. Nothing special at all. If nature can exist, then it’s conducive to accumulating complexity in so far as it continues to exist. If nature can exist then all of the self tuning follows, very likely to the same values. Those who argue against that are being irrational and unscientific in each direction.

It definitely is and you are definitely mistaken. The way one dies is irrelevant – we all die. It is more important to die well honoring God than to die easily.

Just a few verses later:

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?

Romans 8;35

And…

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 5:11-12

…you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me.

Matthew 24:9

That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2 Corinthians 12:10

Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

1 Peter 4:12-13

…and more. There is a lot about our faith that is counterintuitive, but not irrational, in the big picture.

2 Likes

His imagination is entertaining. :grin: And his defamation of God will not serve him well.

The heavens declare the glory of God,
    and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
Day to day pours out speech,
    and night to night reveals knowledge.

Psalm 19:1-2

That’s all irrelevant though.

The verse about all things working out is about all things working out collectively for the body of Christ because despite the crap that happens on earth they all eventually go to heaven.

It’s not about life on this earth. No one was complaining about facing persecution or sickness it just is further support that the better is not this life. All verses say the hope is in restoration.

I strongly disagree. That makes God useless and impotent in this life. He is not. Ask Maggie. Or George when you meet him, if you haven’t read about him first. Also recall about my nephrectomy, and med school.

I don’t see how you drew that conclusion. It’s beyond what I care about and as before those people’s stories hold no particular value to me and I also don’t think it’s related to the verse. The verse is talking collectively, not individually. If you disagree then it’s just that. We disagree. Nothing will change it.

Yes, I strongly disagree, based not only on my life experience, but many others. I’m sorry other Christians’ lives do not seem relevant to you.

If he is not my Father and does not work good in my life’s circumstances, than what is he? ‘Good in my life’s circumstances’ also includes good for his renown, per the prayer’s request in the first petition of the Lord’s Prayer. His providence is delightful, but not always easy.

Blessings by Laura Story

We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love is way too much to give us lesser things

'Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt your goodness, we doubt your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we’d have faith to believe

When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know that pain reminds this heart
That this is not our home

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
What if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are your mercies in disguise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CSVqHcdhXQ&app=desktop

I don’t see how you can not draw that conclusion. Is this also speaking corporately, and not individually?:

For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives. It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline?

Hebrews 12:6-7

This is a great example of why many of us don’t spend much time on the Biologos forums. People apply aggressive skeptical criticism to those who question whether Evolution really is adequate, yet some shallow responses are allowed to stand utterly uncriticized.

In order:

• 1 Ad hominem. Utterly vacuous without detail. Be specific. This should have been moderated.
  • 2 Straw Man. Many are skeptical of “Evolution alone” NOT because of what we don’t know and can’t do.
  • 3 Understanding “getting one” and understanding the odds of the lottery are some orders of magnitude apart.
  • 4 And the most ridiculous. The odds of winning the lottery do not change when someone wins.

I respect the author’s right to his opinion, and I really debated whether to get involved. Guess I couldn’t stand it. I’ll probably regret it.