Science and pantheism

Oh! Boy. Not those old chestnuts. Again.

No, of course not. But scientists have evidence from scientific investigations in their favor, and not just a bunch of talk.

1 Like

Your insistence that the scientific establishment with “‘scholars’ and ‘experts’” in scare quotes is a huge conspiracy sure fits with flat eartherism!

I’m sorry, but the word “theory” in science does not mean “a human postulate with its origins in naturalism.” It means an explanation for some aspect of the natural world that has been repeatedly tested and corroborated using proven and reproducible methods and protocols.

This means that you do not challenge a scientific theory merely by pointing out that it is a theory or hand-waving about “naturalism.” To challenge a scientific theory, you must either:

1. provide evidence that contradicts its core fundamentals (not just the fine details), or
  2. provide an alternative theory that explains the evidence in at least as much detail, with at least as much precision, and with at least as much predictive power.

Anything else is a red herring, and tells us nothing.

1 Like

Humans have not been around for long in terms of geological time, but the ice ages and land bridges do tie in. As for oil exploration, foraminifera and other microfossils play a key role. Coal is principally derived from carboniferous forests. Iron oxidation and biomineralization are markers of life history on earth, as is chalk and limestone formations.

1 Like

Yes- Oolitic limestone in particular. These are reasons I am not tied to a young earth hypothesis.

Actually, this is where you are fundamentally wrong. I don’t ‘have to’. It’s not my job.

And what, pray tell, is fundamentally wrong about it? Are you claiming that you can legitimately respond to evidence-based science with unsubstantiated assertions and vacuous non-sequiturs? Or are you saying that there is another form of challenge to scientific theories that I have somehow missed out? If so, what is it? And of course if it is “not your job” to challenge scientific theories, then why are you actually attempting to do so?

The fact of the matter is that if you are going to challenge a scientific theory, there are at least some rules that you need to follow and some standards that you need to maintain. If there weren’t, then you would legitimately be able to claim that the earth is flat because ase;lhvqwt4 o grhj agrljaevtniopw4evtniopwe4vt.

3 Likes

Have you always been a controlling person? There seem to be one or two here. Scientistic bully-boys would be a good description. I don’t have to obey your rules. Who are you?

I’m not forcing anyone into my worldview like you are, or saying they have no intellectual integrity or saying they are a troll. A person’s own personal doubt isn’t good enough for some of you lot.

I am not telling anyone what they ‘need to do’ like you are doing or ‘you must believe what I believe’. I’m saying I don’t have to believe your theory of evolution as an explanation of origins even though you say I have to. I’m afraid here’s nothing you can do about that.

Evidently he’s always been a thinking person. The nerve of him.

3 Likes

That seems to me to be a cop-out, sidestepping the issue.

2 Likes

Nope, you don’t have to hold to a logical, rational, and evidenced position. You can hurl eggs at the knowledge we have gained over the centuries. You are certainly free to do so. However, if you hope to gain the respect of others you are doing a very poor job.

1 Like

So let me get this straight.

I simply point out that you have to draw the line somewhere between what constitutes a coherent argument and what constitutes patent nonsense, even if that line is nothing more than speaking in grammatically coherent sentences rather than smashing randomly on your computer keyboard.

In response, you tell me that I am a “controlling person” and a “scientistic bully-boy” who is “forcing [people] into my worldview.”

I won’t comment on that. I shall simply let the nature of that argument speak for itself and leave others to draw their own conclusions as to whether or not it has any intellectual integrity and whether or not it is trolling. I would recommend everyone else to do the same.

5 Likes

Good. No one had to make it personal.

Let’s leave it there.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.