Science and Faith

You bind God with time. He is not so bound.

1 Like

Sorry, but you have not understood my statements.

A god out of time cannot be bound by it.

Basically you have created a god with one hand tied behind His back (maybe voluntarily)

Richard

You don’t understand your statements! :grin: You don’t know what you are saying.

Plans imply time and you contradict yourself.

How so? That statement out of thin air (you do that a lot) has no basis in anything I’ve said. An omnitemporal God is not tied (either hand), bound by time, no way, no how.

Sigh.

Time is not the issue.

The issue is the difference between lighting the touch paper and retiring immediately, or sitting on the rocket and guiding it to a destination

Richard

How would that look different in terms of the biology that we see, that’s real? In his providential interventions? They are not detectable ‘scientifically’, but we see his M.O. in timing and placing with respect to where his children are concerned, so we can trust where we cannot see.

Can you see his hand, can you detect his guidance?

As God was sitting on the rocket of the evolution of the cosmos, guiding it to the creation of the earth, was his hand detectable?

Yes, I am sorry that you cannot.

Richard

Yes, GOD is Sovreign, which means that GOD determines how evolutionary change takes place, not science or Darwin. GOD has determined that it takes place in response to ecological changes, not random gene mutations, as science has taught.

This does not deny the reality of evolution, but corrects a problem in how and why it takes place. If BioLogos as poe4ple of science is truly interested in the truth, it would accept or give evidence why this is wrong, instead of denial.

Science knows why the dinosaurs went extinct and how this effected the evolution of the mammals. This is aq scientific question, not a theological one, but believe it or not, one can effect the other.

Richard, you are correct. If GOD is Absolute, if GOD is out of time, then history, evolution, and Love are irrelevant. The answer is not some fancy theology, but GOD making GODSELF Personal or Trinitarian and allowing us and Creation the freedom to be ourselves within GOD.S Will.

GOD created Time. GOD did not have to create Time, but GOD did, so GOD could create our limited universe and us. Therefore, GOD must live in Time even though GOD is not limited by Time, because God cannot go against GODSELF.

We see the universe as dualistic even though we know that GiOD us Triune. Please read my book The GOD Who RELATES…

I am sorry but our theology diverges once again.

I stated the paradox. I stated that I do not have the answer. I did not state that God does not have the answer.
I have always seen Christ as God’s only way of being visible within our time structure. It is also an explanation for the necessity of the Trinty (or something similar).
My “theory” is that God can “interfere” because He knows all outcomes so that HIs actions do not impinge on His gift of freedom. It is a theory, which is why I do not claim the answer. It is a shame that I can admit it while Evolutionists can’t.

Richard

Good grief, Richard. What a silly thing to say to someone who is so evidently all about God’s providence. Do you see his physical hand and you can see which way he physically moves things?

I answered your question. You did not claim a scientific or even physical answer.

I have seen God physically change things, yes. I have seen people as the hand of God in this physical Universe. But I doubt if either of these things will satisfy you.

It would appear that your providential approach is just a smokescreen for cessationism.

God is still active in this world. I am still sorry that you cannot see Him. I suggest you think twice before criticising my understanding again.

Richard

Maybe you haven’t read, sad, but it’s believable:
Factual evidence for Christians to rejoice in, remember and recount, and for true seekers to ponder.

It’s more probable though that it comparable to adding 2 + 2, speaking of twice.

But you did not see God’s physical hand, was the point.

Exodus 20 (Bible Gateway NIV)
19 And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.”

You ask for the impossible

Richard

A deistic God, on the sidelines and not fulfilling plans, is quite different from a God of love, care, and guidance. However, if God is “using” mathematically random processes, then God is not on the sidelines. The Bible pictures God as working through “random” events, such as the casting of lots (mathematically random), weather (mathematically chaotic rather than mathematically random, but humanly random in the sense of unpredictability), and unplanned action (such as the “random” bowshot that hit Ahab). If God is not guiding “random” processes in any way, that excludes a lot of guidance.

People have a range of positions on the degree to which God controls everything that happens (e.g., a more Calvinistic position) versus more allowing things to happen (e.g., a more Arminian position). But neither of those implies that God is simply on the sidelines, not fulfilling plans. (Note: if one wishes to discuss Calvinism versus Arminianism, I would recommend it not be in this thread; also, it would need to have specific relationship to science as well to be on topic for BioLogos.)

To take another example of the error, an ID advocate claimed that we are made either by God or by mindless molecular processes. But this is untrue. Each individual is constantly being made by molecular processes such as development, and metabolism. None of the molecules have minds. If God makes us, He uses mindless molecular processes.

Theoretically, a god (or functional equivalent) could use evolutionary processes in making new kinds of organism, or could use some other processes, or could let “natural” processes do their own thing but be involved in some other aspects of the universe. Evolution, like science generally, is not very theologically informative.

3 Likes

You should have quit while you were still ahead.

The view that GOD is both Absolute and Relational is not a paradox. It says that GOD is broken. Since we know that GOD is not broken, it would seem good to determine which view is correct. Absolute or Relational, which is what I am trying to do. If you do not want to help me, that is up to you, but I fail to see what wrong in trying to solve the problems GOD gives to us.

First, problem you accept two theologies as true, God as Absolute, which is based on philosophy and GOD as Relational, which is NT-Biblical. They are not equal, but you do not seem interested in determining how and why.

Second, you know that GOD is not bound by our theologies, but

Third, your theory in effect says that GOD is Relational, which is true, but you stil lleave the Absolute God on the table.

“… a single system composed of several well-matched, interacting parts that contribute to the basic function, wherein the removal of any one of the parts causes the system to effectively cease functioning.” – Michael Behe

That describes the mammalian middle ear.

The mammalian middle ear meets all of those requirements.

1 Like

Sorry, but we seem to be at cross purposes. Trying to fathom God has always been futile. The balance between control and freedom is one of the many incongruities of God. Whether chance exists? There is a reason why Urmin and Thuramine ceased to be used. The Ephod had a very brief usage. Obviously God could control chance but it is very doubtful that He needs to let alone chooses to. I see no reason for God to interfere in meteorology that is not actually random but governed by balancing divergent air pressures and temperatures.
I do see a reason for God having more than a passing interest in how nature develops. If Evolution is truly random then we could easily have ended up reptilian. The difference is not the physiology but the mental capacity. But the Bible is adamant that we are created specifically. Whether the idea of the “image of God” is physical or theological, it was never random.
Unfortunately this does give me a jaundiced view of evolution. I admit it. But that does not make arguments automatically any less valid, unless you are going down the ad hominem route.
Obviously I do not see God as broken, or having lost control of His creation. (Unlike people who proclaim original sin, for instance) Random evolution is likewise claiming God had no influence in our makeup, be it physical or mental (we may just as well have stolen it).

Richard

That was your claim. You have only inferred, and hopefully legitimately, to ‘see’ God physically change things, so yeah, duh, my point.

Are you calling me a liar?

Secondhand miracles are almost impossible to prove. You either believe or you do not. My evidence is firsthand. So you can accept it or not. (But my experiences are not unique)

This conversation has nowhere else to go,

Richard