Science and Faith in the Movies

That would be nice…I haven’t watched that one. I do enjoy BBT, but don’t care for their mocking of Christianity, even though it’s mainly just caricature.

2 Likes

Missed it last night, but enjoy the show. The young actor playing Sheldon does a great job. Jim Parsons grew up in East Texas, so as producer does a good job of keeping it sorta real. The pastor in the show is interesting also.

1 Like

Yeah – I really like the dad in the show. While he’s a little goofy, he’s obviously got intelligence, humor, and makes good use of it. He’s a welcome break from the Homer Simpson extreme of dad caricatures [another guilty pleasure in our family]. The pastor is just a little more out there when he shows up (and even just “showing up” is nothing to be taken lightly for pastors and churches in TV world). But you’ll enjoy that last episode - they actually give the pastor a few good lines I thought. (along with his bumbling, perennial inability to handle any of Sheldon’s challenges - that stays, of course.) But the religious theme of the episode wasn’t centered around the pastor; nor did it need to be. I’ll take what I can get!

2 Likes

The Jurassic Park movies have always been my favourite movies, and now I realise there is a strong Christian message found throughout them, about the dangers of too much rationality.

Game of Thrones may not be entirely suitable for Christians, but at least they avoid the common mistake of portraying medieval religion as a consistently sinister, negative force. I am debating whether or not to continue watching it, or reading the books.

1 Like

I’ve never seen that show. I enjoy Plugged In, which reviews movies and other entertainment from a Christian standpoint. Here’s their post: Game of Thrones - Plugged In

It does sound depressing.

I’m not sure that Christianity considers rationality too dangerous. Going that way would discard it as “pie in the sky,” and in contrast, it’s Gethsemane and the lamenting Psalms, Ecclesiastes and Job that I find comfort. @swamidass just posted a link to C S Lewis’ journey from faith to doubt, then faith again–"One Mythology Among Many": The Spiritual Odyssey of C. S. Lewis | VQR Online interestingly, first because he thought Christianity was bare myth, then that it was too true, bare and boring to be myth. We had discussed myth earlier on our discourse, and the link from @Christy was very helpful to me. The necessity of myth

I’m discovering more and more that it’s not by focusing on the material in question that one finds whether it’s appropriate–but by focusing on Jesus’ account and “what would Jesus do” that helps me decide.

On the other hand, that definition will vary from person to person. As parents of a 10, 8 and a 5 year old, we have to decide what to have our kids watch. I grew up with parents who were anti-gun and anti-violence. We couldn’t play with toy guns–something I at first found very onerous. However, I grew up avoiding violence as a result, and find myself shocked to see young children playing Call of Duty and other games. As a physician, I loathe even more the gratuitous cruelty portrayed in Jerry Springer than the violent films, but they’re both really hard to watch.

However, everyone will have to decide for themselves about what is best to watch. I am still learning this one.f

1 Like

Yes… or not enough balance between rationality and ethics. Too much of one or the other and we seem to be in trouble.

1 Like

It’s interesting how different this is in different communities/backgrounds – in my house growing up it seems like (non-graphic) violence was one thing that wasn’t that big a deal in movies – it was language and sexual stuff that were much bigger taboos. But I have a hard time knowing how to navigate that with my own kids too – seems no matter what we watch there will be aspects I don’t like.

2 Likes

Speaking of movies, our pastor showed a clip of this one in church this morning, as he is doing a series on “Games People Play” and today used chess in the sermon. Will be on my short list to download, sounds quite interesting:

2 Likes

What Game of Thrones illustrates is that religion is an incredibly powerful force in human societies, be it for good or for evil. I got to hear GoT producer/writer David Benioff at my library before I’d even heard of GoT. He was giving an author talk about his novel City of Thieves. The book was so good, and Benioff seemed so intelligent, that I decided to check GoT out. I don’t have cable or anything so I borrow GoT DVDs from the library. Great show!

I remember that Pete Enns once wrote about GoT: His article started with “I watch Game of Thrones and so do you.” LOL!

2 Likes

And sometimes it’s eerily prescient, as can be seen in The Hand Maid’s Tale, a dystopian story in which the USA becomes a harsh fundamentalist theocracy and women lose all their rights. That’s why some women dress like hand maids (long red dresses and white bonnets) when taking part in demonstrations for women’s rights.

Yeah, that’s a good example. I heard Margaret Atwood limited the rights violations in the book to things that were actually documented as happening before so she couldn’t be accused of making things up. I would like to read that novel someday, when my to-read stack gets a little smaller.

1 Like

Well, I have defending Martin on my blog, and I’d be lying if I told you that he wasn’t an influence on my own writing, which will have Martin’s maturity (without gratuitous sex) and dark themes, without his nihilistic worldview. There will be a clear sense of right and wrong, there will also be actual divine presence.

I would certainly not recommend ASOIAF to those weak of faith, who may be tempted by lust (though perhaps the same can be said for the Song of Songs), but if you can get past that, then there is a good story about power and political intrigue.

As I like to say, God searches the heart, he cares not what you watch. but why you watch it.

I don’t understand. Where is this like Christ or Christianity? Where is Christianity infertile? Per Plugged In, “Atwood’s story damns a certain kind of demeaning Christian fundamentalism, even though the vast majority of Christians would find this world horrific and repulsive.”

The Handmaid's Tale - Plugged In The Handmaid's Tale - Plugged In

I read Atwood’s “Surfacing” years ago and hoped to find something better–but her self centered heroes and heroines nihilistic and depressing. I’ve not read the Handmaid’s Tale, and I do acknowledge that it is always good to realize that at bottom, each of us has the potential to be despot, Hitler, or racist, and any number of most evil things–so we can read this with some profit; but I am afraid that the predictions are prejudiced and sweeping. Or am I off track? Now I’m sentenced to read this! :). sorry. I am just really surprised by the premise.

But then, I’m the one who can’t stand the suspense in parts of “Anne of Green Gables”–don’t take my questioning as too dogmatic. I’m willing to learn. Thanks.

Addendum–I was judging before reading, and am duly reproved–please see below and disregard that jibberjabber above. Thanks.

What on earth are you talking about? I was referring to a dystopian novel called “The Handmaid’s Tale.” Did I call it Christlike? Did I call Christianity infertile? Hint: I didn’t Perhaps you should read the novel. If not, you should at at least read reviews besides that fundamentalist one. (btw, the Hulu series is really good.)

You shouldn’t be. Look what happened in Iran after the Shah was overthrown. And persecuting people of the “wrong” faith has gone on for centuries.

1 Like

No, I didn’t mean you would have called that Christlike–I was a bit surprised that Atwood would. Yes, I committed the sin of judging before I opened the book or read the movie–

Harry Potter, the much reviled series by fundamentalists, is an example of where reading the book is so much better than the fundamentalists say. My wife and I have read the series 3 times. There are good lessons we are using the books to teach our boys with.

Sorry. I can take down my post if it’s better–or maybe I should display my reason for humility here anyway :slight_smile:

Although–Plugged In isn’t that bad, really. they actually like Harry Potter, as I recall–so I’ll review them later after I read the book. I needed that rebuke. Thanks

To quote Bonhoeffer, “Good Germans would never let that happen” --in the 1930s.

Ok, but where does Atwood call that Christlike?

1 Like

I don’t mean to be petty, but do you know where he says that?

Touche’. She doesn’t. Not at all. And maybe that’s the point.

The implication seemed to me to be that the extreme of devotion to God was dystopian. Whereas, there was a review of those individuals who most affected the world–and it was Isaac Newton, Mohamed, and then Jesus, in order of decreasing influence–because Jesus’ sermon on the Mount was on surface great, but not followed. (sorry, I took an antihistamine last night and my mind is scattered–I can’t recall which one did the review) This story seemed more Hitleresque (who did try to use Christianity’s influence for his own means). However, I’m going to stop there, because, as you said, I was wrong to question this without reading it myself. Thanks for pointing that out.

It seemed to me a strawman for those who want to pillory a given belief system. But strawmen help illustrate a
However, we really need stories like this to keep us on our toes. The older I get, the more I do appreciate criticism. Thanks.

Re the Bonhoeffer quote–that was from a dramatization (Bonhoeffer, the Price of Freedom–again, Focus on the Family) and after I wrote that, I wondered if that was a real, exact quote or not. Probably it was a synthesis. it was wrong, of course, and showed how we are frail and can be evil as well as good.

1 Like