Richard Dawkins: the case for militant atheism .. I'm not convinced

I’m not aware of any good quality ones he’s made. Evolution is neither necessary nor sufficient for an intellectually satisfied atheism. Just because some religious people are brainwashed, terrorists, and/or stupid does not mean all of them are; after all, there are plenty of atheists who fit into one or more of those categories. How someone came to believe something does not tell us whether that belief is true. Atheists are not all atheists because they carefully thought through the options. Globally, most atheists are atheists due to government coercion and indoctrination; Dawkins and those like him appear to be atheists as a revolt against a particular religion rather than through any careful consideration. The fact that atheists can take the 10 commandments and edit them to make a list of rules that they like better does not prove that atheism is good at providing ethical direction. I don’t particularly want to go through the misery of reading more of his ranting to give more examples.
Note that antievolutionists like to agree with many of his bad claims.

What bad claims? Quote one. Any one at random, any claim at all, as all of his philosophical and religious claims are bad, according to you.

Why isn’t evolution neither necessary nor sufficient for an intellectually satisfied atheism, according to you?

I just quoted four bad arguments of his.

Spontaneous generation or an eternal universe with things similar to how they are today would be two possible atheistic alternatives to evolution, for the intellectually competent pre-evolutionary atheists. It is not sufficient because it does not explain non-biological physical origins, nor does it explain non-physical things. Dawkins likes good music (i.e., Bach), but evolution by natural selection does not provide much explanation of good music. (Yes, one can make vague claims about general benefits or spandrels, but that doesn’t help with music theory.)

3 Likes

Quote them. Not your interpretation.

Thank you for the heads up. I fixed it.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.