Red flags in FDA 5 - 11 yo vax analysis?

And most people find PBS news to be extremely trustworthy.

2 Likes

I thought of that, but I didn’t want it confused with NPR which, while the news is trustworthy, there are some very far left opinion shows on it. (I miss Mark Shields on Fridays’ PBS NewsHour broadcasts, and I like David Brooks a lot. Capeheart is okay, though. :slightly_smiling_face:)

It is kind of ironic that the conspiracy theorists now seem to be talking out of the other side of their mouths (not Marty). Remember how at first, they accused docs of diagnosing a car wreck related death as Covid (that was based on a misunderstanding of how death certificates work)? Now, a vaccine can do everything bad.

2 Likes

Not directly platforming. But I think the question must be asked sincerely, and the questioner should engage with the answers and not just dismiss them.

Not replying to you directly per se, but here was a helpful explanation for me of some of the claims in the OP and why they are mistaken and why the consensus of vaccine experts all agreed we should vaccinated 5-11s based on what we know so far. It also discusses @Marty slide 14 which again, was only a model of risks assuming very low transmission of the virus:

3 Likes

A doctor is the person people should be talking to about any concerns about vaccine safety. No medical intervention is 100% safe.

Meanwhile Center of Italy’s Anti-Vaccine Protests Is Now a Covid Hot Spot.
After leading the resistance to the government’s new health pass, the northeastern port city of Trieste is home to a worrying spike in cases.

Meanwhile, Dr. Paul Offit has written a new book: You Bet Your Life: From Blood Transfusions to Mass Vaccination, the Long and Risky History of Medical Innovation.

Why do people choose the common disease over the rare side effect? One reason, Dr. Offit claims, is that a sin of commission may be seen as a greater risk than a sin of omission, even if statistically it is not. Thus, you may feel guilt over a sin of commission but not over a sin of omission. Further, and equally regrettably, people see themselves and their children as invulnerable – “I am strong and healthy; it won’t happen to me” – and Dr. Offit attributes this kind of denialism to the unfortunate fact that the emotional centers evolved early, before what I shall call the thinking centers. He did not, according to my notes, discuss the political implications of refusing vaccination.

I haven’t read it yet but I intend to.

4 Likes

Interesting point. We are likely blind to a lot of the latter (and probably the former, too).

The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can know it?

Jeremiah 17:9

1 Like

Dr Offit is very eloquent and scientifically based in his writings. I think that you’ll enjoy that book (I haven’t read that one yet). I do believe that his insight is a good one, about omission vs commission.

I give information from him out to patients.
Thanks.

3 Likes

What is your scientific counter evidence?

I have the book on hold at my library. His statement about emotional centers evolving before thinking centers is also very interesting. People seem to really connect when there are prayer requests for sick people. But for information on staying healthy? No so much.

2 Likes

@pevaquark your link to Nirenberg is what I was looking for. Before this thread closes itself, wanted to let you know. The dismissals and ad hominems in most of this thread are available in lots of places. This engages well. Thanks.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.