Reaping the Whirlwind: protein function without stable structure

Having taken some time to ruminate on our discussion over the past week I offer the following comments. Steve challenged me in a not so friendly way, but helpful nonetheless in steering me in a direction that would help me navigate thru some of the issues. I appreciated it and was even honored that he responded with some constructive input. The central point that I was trying to reconcile in my head regarded the central tenet of Systems Engineering (SE) that states that in a large and complex “system of systems” change(s) must be coordinated for the obvious reason that the subsystems are functionally integrated and depend on each other if the larger “system-of-systems” is to perform its function(s). I offered the fact that the International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) now has a Complex Systems Working Group formed to enhance the ability of the systems engineering community to deal with complexity. The wording in their Mission and Objectives statement says the following which I believe can rightfully be applied to the cell:

“The Complex Systems Working Group focuses on the challenges and opportunities presented by systems with large numbers of components, with even greater numbers of interactions distributed in scope across multiple scales and/or across large areas.  Systems of interest are characterized by rich interdependence among diverse components, non-linearity, open systems boundaries, networks of causality and influence (vice linear causal chains), emergence, varied and changing system goals, self-organization, and multi-level adaptation.  These traits limit the utility of traditional systems engineering paradigms, which are generally centralized, goal oriented, requirements driven, and reductionist in approach. These traits, however, are increasingly the norm and not the exception. The Complex Systems Working Group collaborates with the Systems Sciences Working Group to define the scientific basis of these characteristics.

Further, complexity is a characteristic of more than just a technical system being developed. The socio-technical ecosystem in which a system under development will be employed exhibits these attributes, as does the environment that gave rise to the challenge or opportunity to which the system was developed in response. Further, the design and development of technical systems is a complex endeavor itself. It is critical for systems engineers to understand the nature of the systems with which they are working, and of which they are a part, to be effective.” (Complex Systems)

Sorry for the long quote, but the sentence “Systems of interest are characterized by rich interdependence among diverse components, non-linearity, open systems boundaries, networks of causality and influence (vice linear causal chains), emergence, varied and changing system goals, self-organization, and multi-level adaptation.” is not far from a summary description of the complexity of the cell.

My statement that the inherent interdependence of the subsystems in a cell makes random change of one part of a subsystem destructive to the cell unless accompanied by specific changes to all the other subsystems that are dependent on that one subsystem. How can a cell continue to function properly if the component subsystems no longer function as a coordinated “system-of-systems?” By the way, this is not a strawman. The cell absolutely is a complex “system-of-systems” that must obey the laws of nature.

Steven responded by saying “We know this to be false, because we know a fair amount about various sources of robustness in molecular biology (and at other levels).” He insists that because research has proven that cells have remarkable levels of robustness, flexibility, and redundancy, mutational (random) changes to any one subsystem can be accommodated to ensure the cell remains viable when faced with random mutational changes. His point was well taken. The research has indeed shown it to be so.

As I pondered his points, I wondered that given the large number of proteins in a cell, has the research community investigated all the proteins to ensure they all have these levels of robustness, flexibility, and redundancy? If not, then Steve, et al., are extrapolating the results from investigation of a few proteins to all. Is that legitimate? That implies that failure modes for all the proteins have been identified, analyzed, and engineered (by nature of course) so that they now have the requisite robustness, flexibility, and redundancy to accommodate a large number of changes that might occur. There are several problems with making such an extrapolation. Firstly, do we even know all the proteins in the cell along with their individual and coordinated function(s), failure modes and thresholds, and the solutions they employ to provide the requisite levels of robustness, flexibility and redundancy? (It should be noted that the number of failure modes is more than one might imagine. For each protein failure mode, all 999 (in my hypothetical example) remaining proteins must be able to adapt to that failure mode either directly or indirectly. Each must have solution that gives that subsystem increased robustness, flexibility and redundancy.) You can better answer that than I can. I’m guessing that the research community has a long way to go before that is true.

Considering these facts, is it appropriate to do the extrapolation advocates of evolution appear to be doing? If not, then doesn’t this challenge the conclusion that evolution accounts for the cell’s viability? One of the tenets of the ID movement is that of design inference. Looking at the complexity of the cell, and even more the complexity associated with the built-in robustness, flexibility and redundancy, I think that inferring design has merit. Comparing design to evolution, which do you think has the strongest abductive reasoning behind it? What’s even more challenging to believe is how certain molecular machines are produced. They are reproduced every time a cell divides so I wonder if we have a description of how, for instance, the ATP Synthase Enzyme protein machine is assembled. Some of my questions would be to identify: parts that are needed, where they come from, how they get to the assembly site, how the parts are assembled, the tools (proteins) required to do the assembly, the sequence of steps in the assembly work flow (where’s the command and control function is hosted, what communications mechanism is employed, etc), how each tool navigates to the proper position to do its job, WHAT initiates its function, what stops it, where it goes when it stops, etc. Do we know how that works? If not, how can you be sure it’s the result of random mutations and natural selection? Design seems like an attractive alternative to evolution.

Thoughts?

Design requires a designer. A designer that is capable of far more than anything a human could do and has been around for far longer than humans. So to me ID is just God directed evolution which is the whole point of EC.

One of my earliest questions when I first thought about evolution was what I see today in terms of distinct separation of species or as commonly termed “missing links.” If evolution were true, and small changes accumulate with each successive version of a species being only slightly better that the previous version, but having survival advantage, why do we not see the continuum of the improved versions? After all, each successive version is better than the previous one. If we have 100 versions all alive at once, why do we only see version 01 and 100 and not 2-99 or some smaller group say 49-70? Version 2 is more fit to survive than version 01, and version 3 more fit than version 2, etc. It seems that I see only versions 1 and 100 of the all species. Survival potential would seem to suggest that we’d see versions of species that are much closer that we observe and observe consistently. Even the fossil record has this problem. I suppose that one could argue for evolutionary capacitance where all of a sudden a large number of “stored” changes appear and you have a markedly new looking species. If those stored changes don’t manifest, then the species will simply stagnate in terms of change, and natural selection would not be at play. Having a large number of changes all of a sudden appear seems unlikely.

If God is directing, why would he not show evolution to be rock solid with gradual changes. instead, he provides distinct specie groups.

Why does design require a designer? Does movement require a mover?

What if design is the driver, and not the result? What if Design Space is a thing, and the universe is exploring it?

Maybe this is a rabbit hole (or a new thread). And maybe you are asserting this as an axiom and not as a foregone conclusion, I can’t tell. But in my mind, design is something amazing and interesting and in need of explanation, and simply saying “it comes from the designer” is to me unsatisfying.

This rewording gives the impression that I and/or others believe that any mutational change can be accommodated. The two-word refutation of that strawman is “lethal mutation.” What I actually wrote is “tolerance of change varies over orders of magnitude.”

We already know that proteins vary in all of those characteristics.

The rest of the argument is a strawman. I recommend further reading of introductory evolutionary genetics.

No it does not, but intelligent movement implies movement under the control of intelligence just like ID.

Actually to me evolution is a process that is exploring the possible design space. It just doesn’t do it in an intelligent fashion but more like a drunken walk.

1 Like

Why would He not simply write in the sky “Here I am, believe in Me”? But there are many examples of gradual changes if you simply read what is available. And BTW, new species have been observed forming so we know that it does happen.

I don’t understand how you’re visualizing evolution. If version 100 is an improved version of number 1, we don’t see number 1 – it’s been dead for a long time. All we can ever see is the current version and remains of previous ones. Humans aren’t in “improved” version of chimpanzees – the two are different species, each equally evolved.

3 Likes

If all species are undergoing neo-Darwinian evolutionary change right now, why do we not see that change going on right now? Let me illustrate. If version 01 is an Ape and version 100 is modern man, why do we not see the intermediates alive and thriving especially if version 01 is alive and thriving? After all, versions 2-99 are all more fit to survive than version 01? Instead, we see that version 2-99 failed to survive, while version 01 is alive and well. Trying to be fair and take the other side, I would suggest that a succession of migrations into ecosystems more favorable to the new versions would lead to geographic separation initially. But if that ecosystem changed quickly it could cause the disappearance of the later versions except for the most advanced versions who moved on to an even better suited ecosystem and survived. Of course, version 01 remains in its ecosystem and continues to thrive which would explain its continued existence. Seems plausible, but when you consider that it seems to be the case throughout all forms of life today, it starts to strain as a good explanation. Interestingly, you see ver 01 and ver 100 thriving together in some ecosystems with versions 2-99 missing.

Shouldn’t we see some exceptions today where you have a nice continuum of changed species where both the earliest and latest versions of that continuum are alive and thriving. If there were, it would be ideal for study to see where the genomes and resulting phenomes could be compared to see the small gradual changes that happened. A mapping of the changes in the phenomes to the changes in the genomes would certainly answer some challenging systems engineering questions. Has that been done?

Finally, seeing that we don’t have that kind of data, I’m puzzled at your confidence in evolution and quickness to reject ID as the best explanation.

Are they really new species or simply a new expression from the existing genome where a range of potential expressions are designed in? If indeed it’s a new species, how did you show that it’s not simply a new expression? Why are you confident that it’s a new species?

Intelligent to whom? Your question triggers my memory of Rom 11:33 -

“33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!

34 “For who has known the mind of the Lord?

Or who has become His counselor?”

35 “Or who has first given to Him

And it shall be repaid to him?”

Is this not a text book illustration of a strawman?

Not to those who know what a strawman is.

I reject your conclusion that my argument is a strawman. Again, the point is that SE is a solid scientific discipline that poses a serious challenge to neo-Darwinian evolution as the best explanation of biological data. Its implications are that random changes to the genome are overwhelmingly destructive, and that evolution is far from the best explanation of the data. ID seems far better. Do you deny that design is easily recognized? Do you believe that wind, rain, erosion, freezing and thawing are the best explanation to Mt Rushmore?

Technically no, because the “earliest version” of anything is in the past and is therefore not alive. We can compare current versions and infer how they changed from a previous version, either by very lucky access to fossils or perhaps collections over time (the latter limits us to a very tiny slice of evolutionary time), or by careful inference, or by reconstruction (aka resurrection) of potential ancestors. That last approach can really only be done for genes and not for whole organisms.

Nevertheless, the LTEE run by Richard Lenski at MSU was designed from the beginning to allow a particular kind environmental change drive evolution for thousands of generations, while preserving a sample of every generation. This has allowed Lenski and his collaborators to do just what you seem to seek: map phenome onto genome, and track population-level genetic change, over evolutionary time. It’s still a tiny slice of time, but it’s pretty cool.

Another example where we can see species-relevant differences side-by-side is the phenomenon known as a ring species. For other examples of evolutionary change where we have access to the underlying events, see a list I made a while back: ERV evidence for pastor with a lawyer's mind - #50 by sfmatheson

1 Like

Apes are still alive!

You haven’t shown a single solid reason to accept that point. Your claim is hopelessly wrong. But it’s not a strawman.

This is known to be false, and this has been shown to you over and over and over. THIS is a strawman.

I will have no further conversation with you about the strawman concept. Biology is more interesting.

The apes from which we descended aren’t. This is such a simple concept. Would you please think more before responding?

Your responses are nothing more than denial. Your understanding of SE is as bad as my understanding of biology. Notwithstanding, scientific thinking solidly supports SE and its implications regarding evolution are real and crying out for someone to address it other than calling it a strawman.

Good luck to you!