Randomness shorn of people and books

For starters, if you had 10% of the understanding of evolutionary theory you pretend you have, you’d clearly know that you would have to stipulate the size of the initial population and the polymorphism of the population.

Secondly, real scientists are doing real, empirical work on the subject, unlike your buddies at UD and DI, who just talk.

A good intro is provided right here:

and here:

As for specifics, we can discuss:

Physicochemical Evolution and Molecular Adaptation of the Cetacean Osmoregulation-related Gene UT-A2 and Implications for Functional Studies
Scientific Reports 5, Article number: 8795 (2015)
doi:10.1038/srep08795

Comparative genomics reveals conservation of filaggrin and loss of caspase-14 in dolphins
Experimental Dermatology, 2015, 24, 365–369
DOI: 10.1111/exd.12681

Insights into the Evolution of Longevity from the Bowhead Whale Genome
Cell Reports 10, 112–122, January 6, 2015
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.celrep.2014.12.008

Convergent evolution of marine mammals is associated with distinct substitutions in common genes
Scientific Reports 5, Article number: 16550 (2015)
doi:10.1038/srep16550

And let’s not forget your rant:

How much of your insincere attempt to debate here is based on familiarity with the latest relevant evidence?

@Eddie,

WHAT ON EARTH!? ? ?

Did you really write that?

Surely I must be misunderstanding this discussion …

Did you just suggest that evolution from Artiodactyl to Whale could take place WITHOUT mutations? Is this part of that older “madness” about evolution just being a change in allele ratios?

Unless there is already a WHALE in that gene pool somewhere … we are NEVER going to get a whale without mutations …

If I’m misunderstanding the “Index of Facetiousness” or the “Barometric Hyperbole of Sarcasm” in this particular discussion, just let me know … and I’ll take a nap.

George

[Image below focuses on EAR STRUCTURES for various whale phenotypes… fairly interesting …]

Eddie, YOU are confused and you know it. That’s why your posts are about people, not ideas. That’s why you put words into the mouths of others instead of engaging in substantive discussion.

That’s why you don’t support your claims about what other people have written here.

I think we are on pretty solid ground with this belief!

George

P.S. I liked the pictures too!

Let us see what @benkirk actually asked:

He doesn’t claim that evolution would continue forever if new mutations stopped. And he certainly doesn’t claim that the transition from artiodactyl to whale would have taken place at nearly the nearly the same rate and with the same results had there been no new mutations after about 50 million years ago. (That’s about the time of Pakicetus attocki)

Correct. Let’s see what Eddie actually answered:

I suppose that’s just as well. Especially since you preached post after post about internal whale testicles not that long ago.

AT LAST, @Eddie! Perhaps now you can understand how some people react to you …

Blessed tidings on you and yours.

George

[quote=“Eddie, post:23, topic:4327”]
I’m not going to let Benkirk play teacher with his questions to the class. If he thinks I have made an erroneous statement, he can provide the statement and provide a correction. I’m not his student and won’t answer his quizzes.[/quote]
You won’t discuss anything of substance, Eddie! I think that we are all aware of that.

I don’t think that showing you dodge and bob and weave, when faced with a simple question that goes to the heart of the sophistry you promote here, is a waste of time. You are very, very predictable.

Are you really so deluded that you think that I think that you would ever intend to address such simple questions?

[quote]He could use that time to read Shapiro and Denton and Wagner and broaden his intellectual horizons. That is what I’m recommending that he do.
[/quote]I’ve read Shapiro and Denton. They are tedious.

Why don’t you explain the “logic” that you used to convert my questions about the relationship between mutation and natural selection into a straw man claim about whale evolution?

1 Like

Why? I don’t see any logic or more importantly, understanding of evolution underlying that leap that the first part somehow necessitates the second. Kindly explain instead of baldly asserting.

[quote=“Eddie, post:28, topic:4327”]
To answer Benkirk’s insulting question, it’s of course obvious that if “evolution” is defined as “change in allele frequency in a population,” then “evolution” can occur even without any new mutations; e.g., “selection” can and sometimes does alter the allele frequency.[/quote]
Hallelujah!

And invoking your favorite word, would such evolution be completely Darwinian? How rapid (relatively) would it be in the generation following the abolition of mutation?

(Again, your scare quotes are unnecessary and look silly.)

Of course not, because one animal never changes into another. Evolution only occurs with populations.

Many people who deny evolution share a gross misunderstanding and describe evolution as happening to single animals so that they can simply view it as impossible. Many people who promote evolution denial describe evolution as occurring to single animals. From my perspective, they do so to promote misunderstanding and deceive the man on the street.

So, Eddie, are you a man on the street, a deceiver, or something in between?

Isn’t the mission of BioLogos to help correct such gross misrepresentations of biology?

[quote] I wanted Benkirk to commit himself on the point whether major transitions of that sort could occur without any new mutations
[/quote]“Major transitions of that sort” is far too vague to be useful, but I’m pretty sure you’re smart enough to know that.

I know! Let’s look at real, relevant evidence!

Let’s look at a real figure: Figure 1.

Simple question for you that illustrates the population-genetic incoherence of your ill-conceived gotcha: do the inactivation events (X in a circle) represent:

1. mutations, or
  2. fixation of a previously-rare null allele in a population because the selective environment changed?

Kindly keep in mind that inactive or null alleles are virtually always recessive, and population genetics–that mathy stuff that your ID/DI colleagues love to ignore–tells us why deleterious alleles can’t be eliminated from a sufficiently large population even when they are (homozygous) lethal. I’m saying they are far less deleterious than lethal alleles.

Do you see now why I demanded that you stipulate the population size before I addressed YOUR question?

Evolution is a change in allele frequency in a population. I’ve heard that definition from scientists, e.g. Brian Hare at Duke. (And no, that is not all he knows about the subject!)

What is the ID definition of evolution?

Hello Eddie,

You’re hilarious!

Let’s discuss that issue with your favorite example of evolution denial: whales.

How many differences in functional genes between any hippo and any whale, separated by ~120 million years, are not merely allelic? All of the relevant data are readily available.

[quote=“Eddie, post:30, topic:4327”]
I’m going to ignore the technical shop-talk in the rest of your post, which will be lost on at least half of the readers here, and probably more like 80% of them.[/quote]
I don’t think so. I think that YOU don’t understand it and you know that you don’t understand it.

Why don’t you look at the DATA, Eddie? We have a hippo genome and we have at least one whale genome. How many hippo genes lack an ortholog in whales and vice versa?

What new genes? Name them. Eddie, you don’t have a clue!

And there are plain data to address it. Why wouldn’t you look for yourself instead of pretending that I or anyone else would need to guess? Why are you apparently so afraid of evidence? Why is it all people almost all the time?

They, like me, would laugh at your preening and posturing from a position of such willful ignorance.

Eddie, you’re not making any sense. You just switched between genes and mutations. Mutations are not genes!!! Mutations, alleles, and genes are all different things. I’m pretty sure that no evolutionary biologist would conflate any of them.

Given an infinite LCA population, only a handful of new mutations at most would be necessary. Given an LCA population of a few hundred, millions would be necessary. Satisfied?

[quote]If you are interested in communication rather than scoring a victory, you will answer in such a manner.
[/quote]If YOU were interested in communication rather than supporting your political position, you wouldn’t portray evolution as one individual animal morphing into another. You wouldn’t equivocate between mutations and genes. You would know what an allele is. You would eliminate “Darwinism” from your vocabulary instead of deliberately using it in ways that have very different meanings. Most importantly, you would learn the basic facts of the nature of the genetic differences between species and higher taxa.

So I’ll ask again, just for laughs:
How many differences in functional genes between any hippo and any whale, separated by ~120 million years, are not merely allelic? All of the relevant data are readily available.

[quote=“Eddie, post:30, topic:4327”]
On your next point, I am not “many people,” as should be evident from the level of discourse I carry out here.[/quote]
I agree there!

With respect to evolution, the level of discourse you carry out here is almost entirely pseudoacademic name-checking and recycled creationist tropes. One could produce close facsimiles of your comments on evolutionary biology simply by changing names and terms at the Postmodernism Generator:

[quote]I have not spread the misconception you are talking about, and in fact have said ten thousand times that I am not disputing common descent.
[/quote]The misconception you continuously promote is orthogonal to common descent.

So we finally agree that selection acts upon existing polymorphisms in a population. Isn’t this pure, unadulterated Darwinian evolution WITHOUT MUTATION? And doesn’t this represent the vast majority of real-world evolution?