Race as a real thing or as a social construct

You don’t think racism exists among members of the Black and Asian races?

It’s irrelevant in societies where they are not the ruling class.

Not just whites are racist, although we certainly win the prize. The Nation of Islam, under Louis Farrakhan, is extremely racist. There are other examples.

1 Like

LOL!! hear that? It’s irrelevant where “they’re” not in charge. Put that guy in charge of Biologos Diversity Training.

2 Likes

Again, there is no moral equivalence whatsoever.

Somebody wanna tell the bloke, sin’s sin, whether the Queen or a barmaid does it.

2 Likes

As you say, you have to have power to be racist, otherwise you are just a bigot. Of course, if your group has the power, you can be racist no matter your skin type.

So a racist is a successful bigot??

It seems that way. Or a least a society constructed by successful bigots. It does get confusing as how big a group of bigots must you have to consider them racist? Of course, bigotry can be about lots of other things other than race.

1 Like

In America, white has always had, been, the power.

It’s not irrelevant for understanding how human psychology and culture works. Bigotry and discrimination are common features of all human societies, either now or in the past. It’s a human flaw that we need to be aware of. In China the Han discriminate against the non-Han. Japan has a long history of discrimination against non-Japanese, and they see nothing wrong with strict immigration policy as a way of preventing an increase in minority populations.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not excusing racism by any country or society. All I am saying is that if we want to understand racism we should look at all of humanity, not just the West.

6 Likes

Sounds meet, right, and proper to me; as long as we stay above the equator. No need to look Down Under, nothing untoward happens there.

2 Likes

Aye, bigotry is human normal from adolescence. We do understand it. The biggest driver of it is the biology of social injustice. And we understand that too. It’s politically impossible to do anything more about it. In the West. Let alone anywhere else.

Blacks have been in political power in Atlanta for decades. It has been many decades since a non-Black leader.

So, my question is relevant. Do you have an answer?

Does racism exist among Asian and Black people?

Here is an example:

There are many worse examples.

1 Like

One city in America. In a white power state where Jim Crow never went away, where slavery was never restituted. Nothing can be said to you.

Martin, it all depends on scale. I know a primary teacher who was forced out of a south Texas school where the power was Latino, solely because of her skin color.

In the US overall, yes, but the US is diverse and a patchwork quilt of sorts. Sort of like asking if the Irish in 1600 could be racist towards the English, since the English had the power.

1 Like

I also mentioned Atlanta’s long history of black leaders. Atlanta is in the Deep South.

It appears you have no answer.

I know power is fractal, I would expect any local dominant group to be bigoted. Including liberals. Power always corrupts. All sin is abuse of power. Unless the old money elite from the top of a nation’s pyramid devolve power, divest themselves of it, even by empowering, voluntarily by single taxation, restoring the commons; social injustice, class will empower racism.

1 Like

Even if they aren’t white?

That seems to contradict your earlier claim that racism is a white thing.

I found that to be a racist statement. Perhaps I misunderstood you, so I ask for clarification

1 Like

I could mention Lori Lightfoot, mayor of Chicago, who declared she would only do interviews with brown or black reporters.