Race: A Brief History of its Origin, Failure and Alternative

I don’t think they have been separable since the founding of the US. Slavery is America’s original sin, and it has echoed all the way through US history. All you need to do is look at the Civil Rights Act which led to the defection of the Dixiecrats to the Republican party in the 1960’s to get a feel for how long race and politics have been intertwined even in more modern times. I still think that the strong ties between the conservative church and the Republican party is a hangover from the politics of segregation.

3 Likes

I agree. It is somewhat ironic that the Evangelical movement was a very progressive movement that disagreed with many things found in the fundamentalist wing of Christianity. I think the founders of the Jesus movement would be very distressed if they saw their work being melded into the very things they were against.

Hopefully, more moderate and progressive voices in the church can start to be heard more widely. I think that would be good for all of us, believers and non-believers.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Atlantic article, Evangelicals, and the culture war

Truth is where you find it.

“Race” is an exact equivalent to “breed,” refers to a subspecies. The recent statistical science of DNA genetics demonstrates it. Some Right wing Protestant Dispensational Christians think DNA research has identified ancient Jewish Priest markers and those people will be the priests when the Temple in Jerusalem is rebuilt. see google/wiki

No it isn’t. Humans aren’t bred, for one thing. There is often more genetic diversity between two people identified as the same race than there is between two people identified as different races. Two people from the continent of Africa who are both identified as black are likely to have quite a bit of genetic variation, because Africa has the greatest genetic diversity in the human population. Genetic Similarities Within and Between Human Populations - PMC

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.