Questions YEC believe support a literal bible narrative of the age of the earth

That was presented as a cautionary tale in the text used when I taught high school science briefly. My students were astounded that anyone would dare claim a new species just from a tooth, and I couldn’t disagree.

2 Likes

But are there any? What I see as the conclusion from question lists like these is that there are no good YEC arguments.

2 Likes

The only “good” argument I have seen is to place the literal reading of Genesis ahead of science and hope and pray that one day the science will get corrected to match.

4 Likes

I can’t blame folks for being attracted to that. I think Todd Wood does that. It took me a long time to discard that (though I am not as smart as he).

1 Like

I’m sorry but this had me laughing so hard I couldn’t stop.

1 Like

None I know of, but there definitely won’t be any good arguments as long as they don’t care if the arguments are honest.

3 Likes

I appreciate Timothy reproducing the list of “Questions YEC believe support a literal bible narrative of the age of the earth.” I cracked myself up remembering @adamjedgar’s prior thread about questions that keep him up at night as a YEC believer. Compare the seriousness of the two lists:

I’ll stop there.

This was the only surprise of the whole thread. Are you really a college freshman, Timothy? If so, you certainly had me fooled. I’ll refrain from giving old man advice, but I’m pretty sure you have a bright future.

3 Likes
1 Like

Yes. My immediate family includes the majority of the current or recently deceased world experts on Carolinian Neogene molluscan faunas (5 of us, counting me), so I have had some good reasons to rapidly become familiar with geology and paleontology.

6 Likes

That is part of how science works. Observations demand explanations. When there are no generally accepted explanations, any hypotheses explaining the observations are steps forward. Showing that these hypotheses are wrong are also steps forward. It is like first collecting a pile of pieces looking crudely correct and then removing wrong ones until only one or few pieces remain.

One fellow published a hypothesis that our life is just a simulation in a very advanced alien computer. That person did not believe in the hypothesis, he published it just because he noted that nobody had published such an idea before. Being the first to publish a scientific hypothesis can be a merit, even when the hypothesis is not true. It may show creative mind and increase the number of citations because every time a hypothesis is mentioned in the scientific literature, it should be accompanied with a reference to the paper where it was first published. In practice, scientists do not always cite the original article but many do. If you get enough of citations, you may be listed as a ‘highly-cited scientist’ which is considered a heavy merit.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.