Quality of the extrapolation leading to billions of years

again- not according to your own paper.

any sequence may have high-copy number. but the papers check about the whole genome sequence. so it not a factor.

here:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v344/n6267/abs/344656a0.html

i actually talk about all of them. look for yourself here for example:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/41506123_The_35_Ga_Siurua_trondhjemite_gneiss_in_the_Archaean_Pudasjarvi_Granulite_Belt_northern_Finland_Bull_Geol_Soc_Finland

you can see variations in a lot more then 1% uncertainty.

about the stalactites: an average stalactite is about 50-70cm long(as far as i aware). an avergae stalactite growth is about 0.13 mm per year. do the math.

It is hard to do the math when you keep changing the growth rate.

I am not a spelunker, but in the caves that I have visited, including Carsbad Caverns, the stalactites are much longer than 70 cm. Those are just the “babies”. I see where you got the 0.13 mm per year, but where do you get that the average is 50-70 cm? And why would you even care about the average? Shouldn’t you be looking at the longest known stalactites?

I wrote:

It might be possible.That’s within an order of magnitude for estimates.

The paper I referenced estimated about a 1MYR range. The plant samples listed were about 17-20MYR. Here’s the section from the paper I referenced:

Even rough estimates such as this imply that sequenceable bone DNA fragments may still be present more than 1 Myr after deposition in deep frozen environments. It therefore seems reasonable to suggest that future research may identify authentic DNA that is significantly older than the current record of approximately 450–800 kyr from Greenlandic ice cores.

I mentioned previously that these chemical degradation estimates are secondary to empirical determination as we understand chemical reaction rates are greatly affected by the immediate environments. I’m not surprised that they may be off by roughly an order of magnitude. Of course, the further back sequences are found, the greater the need for independently repeating sequencing results under strict conditions for validation.

Now, this question has been asked previously, but I’m having a hard time understanding how estimates of DNA degradation factor into the age of the Earth and the universe. DNA degradation in an uncontrolled environment is a terrible clock. That is known. Aside: Even then, ages well in excess of 10K years is supported.

Likewise stalactite formation. They aren’t great clocks, though one could calibrate formation against radiometric or isotopic markers. You originally referenced documents that mistakenly used formation rates for cement or gypsum-based stalactites as examples of rapid growth, chemistries which do not apply to formation in limestone caves. Now you are using the more consensus ‘upper-range’ average of about 0.13 mm/year. That’s good, but oddly, you apply calculations against an ‘average’ stalactite length. I sense that you are doing this to arrive at a figure of about 5K years to buttress a YEC viewpoint. However, to support that reasoning, when faced with multi-meter long examples, you would have to also assert that all the longer stalactites grow much faster. But can you back that up? Oxygen isotope measurements that correlate with local temperatures through warming and cooling periods can track such periods in stalactites back about about 180K years. Radiometric methods date some to well beyond 1 MYR.

And still, how stalactite growth or length indicates anything about the overall age the Earth, besides strongly arguing against a 10K year-old work, escapes me. Absolute growth rates can vary, within certain constraints. And we know that caves form and caves collapse as geological events perpetuate the cycle of cave growth and demise. Some caverns persist for a mere eyeblink in geologic time while others may persist for millions of years. If you are investigating the age of a cave, you’re not saying anything about the age of the Earth, beyond the simple fact that the Earth would be older.

Or is this instead an example of ‘poor estimates’ used to date the age of things? Hardly. Bad clocks make bad clocks. Sometimes one can calibrate some of the poor clocks under certain local conditions, but this argument doesn’t ‘extrapolate’ to other, better clocks and physical phenomena.

As I wrote near the top of this thread:

There are rational extrapolations and there are dodgy ones. GCS was wondering about the rational extrapolations behind dating measurements that have been back-checked, validated numerous ways and widely accepted by knowledgeable experts in the many fields the research covers.

And then there are others, like dscccc’s ‘Compatible with young earth’ extrapolations, which are not consistent, do not agree well with the overwhelming preponderance of data, are not remotely justified by historical or archaeological knowledge and are proposed primarily to rescue a dogma.

2 Likes

This reply will be my last one on this thread, since you rebuked me earlier with the classic “someone is wrong on the Internet” xkcd.

All I shall say is that he is still not quoting error bars. Until and unless he starts to do so (and gets them right), his claims can not be taken seriously.

Incidentally, this is a very common flaw that I see in YEC “evidences” for a young earth. Some people complain about their “Gish Gallop” tendencies making it difficult and time consuming to address them all, but as far as I can see, vast swathes of them fail this one simple question: where are the error bars? As I said, quantitative evidence without error bars is not evidence. No exceptions. No excuses. End of story.

With that, I shall retire from this thread and leave it to others to have their say.

1 Like

Not a rebuke, James. A caution. I get pulled into these things too (as you can see).

A: The Earth is flat!
B: No it isn’t and here’s why…
A: Well here are cases (often taken out of context) where results aren’t perfect!
B: Actually, you’re mistaken because…
A: Well here’s another case…
…And so forth.

Rest assured that reasonable readers will take the history, arguments and references provided by various commenters and reach their conclusions relatively easily. It’s not like these topics are new or haven’t been better discussed elsewhere. The Biologos site has a reasonably good description about how the ages of the universe and Earth are determined, including pointers to deeper discussion.

1 Like

Let us sing:

The wheels on the bus go round and round,
Round and round,
Round and round…

2 Likes

you can see here that most of them are not more then one meter in length:

https://www.google.co.il/search?q=stalactite+cave&biw=1366&bih=657&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwio-Le8h5TMAhXF6xoKHS63DmYQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=_

no. because we have the average rate. so we need to check the average length.

and because of this i check the average. so we can get a correct result.

why not? if all the caves in world are date about 1 my. where is all the caves that date about 10my?30my?100?500my?

but its not an empirical determination. the fossil is date by radiometric dating. so if extrapolation show us that the dna cant be more then 1 my therefore the radiometric method itself may be invalid.

1 Like

Hi dcs- I want to make a claim, and ask you to evaluate whether I am using math and logic correctly.

Here’s my claim: There is a man in Japan who says he is 105 years old. I don’t believe it! He is wrong, because the average age of a human is 32 years old.

What do you think? Good logic or bad?

bad logic chris. but where you see any conection to my argument?

1 Like

“A geologist who studies the Carlsbad Caverns claims that a certain stalactite is almost 200,000 years old. I don’t believe it! He is wrong, because the average age of stalactites is only a few thousand years old.”

Good logic or bad?

5 Likes

DCS,

Interesting that in all of the images where there is something to give you a sense of scale, the stalactites are all much, much longer than 70 cm. I can tell you have never actually been in a cave. If you had you wouldn’t be trying to claim they are all extremely short. You also have the problem when stalactites reach from ceiling to floor they start growing in width. Some of those in Carlsbad Caverns are hugh. What is the growth rate for width?

1 Like

Hi Bill - I agree with the general ideas behind your post (although I have been in caves). If you will read through the thread, you will see that my last comment posed a rhetorical question to our friend dcs. I am trying to help him step through the reasoning process regarding stalactite ages.

Grace and peace,
Chris Falter

My response was intended for DCS. I used the wrong Reply button and as near as I can tell there is no way to change to whom my reply was intended.

No problem! Have a great day.

this scientist base its claim about radiometric method(or other method that base on extrapolation). but the whole discussion is about the question if its a good method or not. so its claim isnt relevant to this discussion.

bill. see this image:

you can see that most of them are very short (about dozens cm). do not confuse with stalagmites.

DSC,

There was no image, but it doesn’t matter. If you go to a young cave where stalagtites or stalagmites are still growing you will see many that are very short. But what is your point? If you go to a forest and look at all the saplings will you conclude that the forest is young? Or will you find the biggest tree in the forest and date it from the growth rings in that tree?

2 Likes

again- i talk about most of them and not just a several percent. if you will find that in most forests the trees are about 6000 years old it will not be an evidence that the forests are young?

No it is just evidence that those trees are 6000 years old. The oldest tree that you can find will tell you how old the forest is. And even then the oldest living tree could be younger than the age of forest. You would have to look for evidence of dead trees and possible match their tree rings with the rings for the trees still living to see if you can push the date even further back.

Another example, the median age of the US population is about 37. Does that mean the US has only been around for 37 years?

3 Likes

so if about 99% of them are about 6000 years old then you cant conclude that the rest 1% are the result of fast growing?

again- if its only about few percent then it means that those trees grow up very fast. we only need to look at the average. more then that- what is the longest stalactite that you know about?