Pseudogenes: functional or non-functional

(Curtis Henderson) #21

Oh Phil, thank you for that good laugh!

You missed the low hanging fruit!!

Bladderworts are carnivorous plants. If they share a common ancestor with tomatoes then we already have examples of the transitional forms:

(Chris) #23

If you search their site you will find several articles on pseudogenes but I don’t see that they’re "cranking them out ". E.g.
As Research Advances, Debunking “Junk DNA” Is Almost Trendy
…transcript numbers, and working like switches to turn other genes on or off. We’ve seen “ pseudogenes ” (still assumed to be decaying remnants of evolutionary duplication events) acting as regulators. Even…

(Curtis Henderson) #24

It’s been a few months since I perused Bio-complexity, but I don’t recall seeing any research done on potential functions of pseudogenes. A report on the discoveries of other groups is not the research I was envisioning. Obviously, there would be hurdles to such research in humans, but analysis of psuedogenes in human cell lines should be feasible and would be a great way to actually support what they claim based on the ENCODE project.

Finding a handful of pseudogenes that act as gene regulators does not mean the other 100,000 also have function.

(Chris) #26

Correct, however since some pseudogenes that formerly were believed to be non-functional have now been shown to have function it casts doubt on the assumption that pseudogenes are non-functional. Remember that very few have at this stage have been examined in detail.

From a YEC perspective we would not be surprised that some pseudogenes have lost their function since creation since everything has been affected by the fall.

(Matthew Pevarnik) #27

Like the pseudogenes (even with shared deactivations in closely related species) for digesting insects that all mammals have or the pseudogenes for making teeth in birds and turtles or the pseudogenes for making enamel in baleen whales or the over 50%+ deactivated genes out of 1200 for smelling that are gone but have remnants in cetaceans. Does YEC have any specific pseudogenes that we should expect to find or just simply come in after the data and claim some happened after the fall and the others are all functional?

You would first have to show that those specific pseudogenes were once thought to be non-functional.

They have all been examined for sequence conservation. A lack of sequence conservation is very strong evidence for a lack of function.