Prayer - Does It Work? How Can We Know?

I heard about Mueller and the answered prayers but, again, these are the prayers that anyone could answer and there is no falsifiability. Let’s say that I claim that I will answer prayers. Someone prays for healing and then goes to the doctor and takes the medication. And then they are healed. Am I a miracle worker? Or did I not contribute anything and simply took credit for the medical system working as it does?

You heard about Müller. Read just a few of pages of his autobiography (through at least the starting of an Orphan House). Then you can remain in honest denial.

You have forgotten that we are not talking about science.

I have not forgotten that I’m striving at the truth. Without falsifiability everyone who claims to answer prayers will be the prayer answerer.

It’s about noticing them. Nothing more.

Dasein.

If they weren’t on your radar, and you weren’t praying for them, they would happen anyway. And you’d never know.

This is nothing but statistically insignificant cognitive bias.

The prime example is healing. Prayer has no statistical effect on it whatsoever. So what other areas of life are statistically affected by prayer? Where are the coincidences that wouldn’t happen without prayer? Job hunting? Pay rises? Careers? Dating? What else is there? I suspect it will only be in areas where no statistical analysis of the effect of prayer has been done.

Read any Müller yet? And I answered my own prayer above. Right. So did Maggie.

You’re funny. I should hope we notice. Like getting whacked by a 2x4. Müller built orphanages out of them – answered prayers, and yeah, 2x4s too.

To me it just seems like you’re struggling with context and want to say others ignore it and uses loopholes. But the reality is that you can do that with any of the verses concerning anything.

But I can see that’s the move you’re sticking with.

1 Like

“Yet not what I will, but what you will.”
-Mark 14:36

1 Like

Men in a boat during a storm on the Sea of Galilee. It wasn’t exactly prayer, but it was a remarkable coincidence. (The disciples did make a request of Jesus, so yeah, a prayer.)

Even better, an area that cannot be statistically tested, that’s where the coincidences are. In that inaccessible gap.

George racked up some statistics. Read the unabridged version.

And what’s that got to do with life? As in the life of anyone you know or is known? Not in any gap.

George Müller is known. Maggie.

That’s right. He was there all right. Not here. Not in the statistically amenable realm. Unlike Maggie’s ordinary life which is as insignificant as anyone else’s.

How do you do statistics? Using testimony.

As in mortality.

Mortality statistics? Everyone dies. Or else what did you mean?

And that is never, as in never in living experience, in statistical experience, affected by prayer.

Well, God’s existence is not going to be scientifically proven, and neither are his answers to prayer. That in no way certifies that neither exist.