Practical Christianity

As a comfort or compensation for suffering maybe but as a motivation it smacks of self interest.

Richard

That does not rule out the possibility of rewards (perhaps in heaven, perhaps on earth, perhaps both) for good deeds, whether we want them or not, and whether we were motivated by them or not. What I believe we can be sure of from scripture is that good works are not meritorious in terms of our salvation, which is fully by grace.

2 Likes

I never said that it did, only that they should not be a focus or motivation. To do so would make our efforts self fulfilling rather than because it is the right thing to do.

Richard

My mistake. So when you wrote

you meant that we are not credited with good deeds insomuch as our salvation is concerned. So we are in agreement in that regard.

2 Likes

You may not have heard of enlightened self-interest, apparently. That was Jesus’ motivation, too.

…who [u]for the joy set before Him[/u] endured the cross, scorning its shame

1 Like

Even the Beatitudes belie you. “Blessed are…” Rewards are a good motivation for action and sacrifice. Ask anyone involved in sports.

That is also the divinely inspired metaphor that Paul uses. (You might remember the terms ‘race’ and ‘strive’, along with ‘prize’?) A pretty good prize is hearing ‘Well done!’ from our Lord, along with an embrace.

1 Like

Like I said, Paul uses it as a compensation for the suffering to get there…

Why should it matter to you? Can you not do right for the intrinsic value?

Richard

You certainly can. Why else?

1 Like

Doing right for the intrinsic value is gratifying, is it not? But you appear to disagree. Are self-denial, sacrifice and suffering good things in themselves?

All we need to want (check out that subtitle :flushed:, an apparent oxymoron :grin:):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DEPEO6/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

This speaks to motivation:
https://www.amazon.com/Future-Grace-Revised-Purifying-Promises-ebook/dp/B008LMD8S0/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I’d like to make that claim , but honestly I can’t, not totally. I agree with C.S. Lewis that “I never had a selfless thought since I was born.” I am okay, imperfectly but for the most part, with people not seeing whatever “good works” I do. But I always hope God takes note.

1 Like

This has always been at the heart of the matter for me whenever the question of free will vs determinism comes up. If free will means being free from being the self that you are then, please, make me determined.

2 Likes

I bet you don’t always. I would wager (if I were a betting man and had any wages :slightly_smiling_face:), I would wager that you do the right thing spontaneously and unthinkingly much of the time without reflection on whether or not God takes note. Coram Deo is our perpetual condition, hopefully. :slightly_smiling_face:

My wife just asked me what the conversation was about. When I told her, she replied astutely, “Virtue is its own reward.” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Kismet

Richard

John Henry Newman

Dale

I see no virtue in dwelling on something that I have no control over.

That is my prerogative. And it does not affect the Gospel in the least…

Richard

If the Gospel isn’t gratifying to anyone, it makes a huge difference:

…who [u]for the joy set before Him[/u] endured the cross, scorning its shame