Ponderings about AI & Theos paper

Cool.    

I tell you, if these were silent, the very stones would cry out.
Luke 19:40

(Some louder than others? ; - )

That is super cool. I wonder if Randy or Kendal ever see these. Of course it probably wouldn’t look like this without tumbling.

1 Like

Mine, too!

Pet Oskey Stone.

Fillin’ in those 11 characters.

@jpm, that is a huge petoskey. What a beaut!
@MarkD , we often leave them unpolished, because it’s fun to see the fossils appear, whe they are wet and the disappear as the stone dries. The simple pleasures.
I have only seen a few in the wild, because they are not common in the places on the lakes where I have spent the most time. (All or most of my few have veen gifts.) Few spots on Lake Huron, where I spent time almost every summer growing up.

While I have been to Lake Michigan many times, I just haven’t spent as much time there and not at most of the places where they are more plentiful. I will make an effort though, and whenever I get a wild specimine, I will mail you one if you like. Any excuse to go to our wonderful lakes is a good one. “I need rocks for friends.”
I am always amazed at the variety of types of rock that the lakes churn up. I’ve spent a lot of time at Surgeon Point (Lk Huron)(and the lighthouse there), where the point, and shallows and point are all stones and boulders. While there are commonly recognizable stones, there seems to be a great variety. But not petoskey. : (

Maybe @Randy has some good petoskey stones and stories. He lives closer to the main source.

2 Likes

I don’t collect them myself, but know a lot of people who go north to do so, and tumble and polish (and sometimes sell) their own. This is a really nice lady who makes her own, and I buy them from her Polly Varboncoeur (ncca-artsplace.org)

I’m not sure I would recognize them on the lake myself!

2 Likes

Thank you but don’t go to any trouble. If we ever get by for that picnic you can point me to the source but I’m not really a big collector.

2 Likes

They’re the only rocks with the cool design like Phil’s has. And when they’re dry, they just look like boring gray rocks.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I know. They’re beautiful and I would love to know more about the coral that made them. I just am not sure I would recognize them when they’re dry. Everybody seems to have brought me a beautiful one already made and polished.

1 Like

I look for them where the water hits them. Gotta roll up those pant legs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.