Poetics, humanities, and life

A catchy quote from your O’Connor quotation page:

“Everywhere I go I’m asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don’t stifle enough of them. There’s many a best-seller that could have been prevented by a good teacher.”

― Flannery O’Connor

I had to forward that one (among others) to our literature teacher. Not exactly poster material for the classroom wall, though.

1 Like

I’ll try, but I have a hunch that I’m going to bungle the job.

• Let A = an Atheist and M = me, an aging Christian curmudgeon.
  • A discussion of the place of the Fall in evolution, between A and M, is about as exciting as the “Is The Fall compatible with evolution?” thread.
  • A Biologos forum search for “The Fall and Evolution” yields: The Fall & Evolution 100+ results. My cursory review of that list fails to confirm that there is a “huge ‘agreement-fest’” that is taking place, or that has taken place in Biologos. So either there really hasn’t been one yet, or I need help finding it.
  • Even in my own thread: “Dating the Fall: A conjecture”, my “alternative” interpretation of the Genesis account, i.e.

failed to get more than one like and two replies. Hardly a “love-fest”, IMO. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

You lost me there. Please expand on that if you don’t mind.

It seemed to me that if the exchange could be faulted for anything, it would be for being a huge “agreement-fest” - the kind absolutely loved by all the conflict avoiders like me.

I think that happens most often when both parties think the truth and reality are simple and obvious. For the rest of us there can be real conversation.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.