Pithy quotes from our current reading which give us pause to reflect

Not new but very timely for our discussion of Penner’s book. I wasn’t at all familiar with the author but I like contrast he draws between cerebral belief and the kind of faith we cultivate in hope that understanding will be granted when and where it is needed by we know not what. I came across this on the Huffington Post here:

Faith and Belief Are Not the Same

This is the teaser used in the article itself …

The next time you find yourself in spiritual crisis, my advice – attach no value to it, positive or negative. Release your beliefs for the time being, and do not labor at bringing them into congruity with the crisis.

And here are a few short teasers I like even more to lure you in…

The enabled mind says that if we hold our beliefs strongly enough, God will listen and favor us. If we only believe! Believe in what though? Believe in our own version of an indefinable Being who transcends us and all created things?

Belief is a product of the mind, but faith is not. Faith is a product of the spirit. The mind interferes in the process of faith more than it contributes to it.

Beliefs come and go, but real faith is not so fickle. Real faith is not a statement of beliefs, but a state of being. It is living life midair – standing commando on a tightrope fifty stories up with no preconception of the outcome. It is trusting beyond all reason and evidence that you have not been abandoned.

Edited to add the @Randy and @Mervin_Bitikofer as I promised @Kendel I would.

2 Likes

Not at all. I had taken it as a genuine invitation and was thankful for the opportunity. If there was any ire on my part it was directed at Chesterton. :slight_smile:

That is helpful context, thanks, Merv.

On this, we can definitely agree! :+1:t2:

Chances are you may know Cowper’s work, without knowing him directly. William was also a staunch abolitionist and friend of John Newton. His most famous anti-slavery poem would go on to influence Martin Luther King, Jr. in the battle for US Civil Rights.

3 Likes

Me too. 11 characters achieved in post!

2 Likes

Yes, he was a prolific poet/hymn writer.

3 Likes

Mark, and @merv, and I think @jpm, and anybody else I missed,

I needed a break from busting my head against Penner in the allowed short intervals yesterday, so at the clothesline, I started listening to “Jaber Crow,” which has been waiting on my phone for quite some time. Thanks to any of you who mentioned the book. I’m 16.2% into the book right now, and it’s been a treasure. No easy answers but a real beaut!
He had me at “barber shop.” My sister and I would sometimes accompany my dad to the barber’s, Mr. (Clarence) Doyal, a wonderful, cheerful man with a beautiful speaking voice that I think I must have heard sing a time or two. His shop was a mysterious world of manly things we didn’t understand, but he had Orange Crush in a refrigerated chest pop machine I don’t think I’ve seen anywhere else, and the best (well worn to be sure) comic book collection anywhere. The bathroom was revolting beyond description, however.
I”ll get back to Penner in the morning. Between work and other components of real life today, though, there was no time. I really appreciate all of your posts over there, though. They are helping me focus more on what I DID understand and try to be less bogged down (at least for now) by what I don’t.
Thanks for the Jaber Crow recommendation. I am actually feeling a good deal better than I had been.

3 Likes

I saw it on a list of the 20 best books for some time period or other which Phil shared and since that included McGilchrist’s book and Haidt’s The Righteous Mind I had to take a look. Very rewarding and unlike Penner’s it is all down hill coasting. Some might find it aimless but I didn’t and I doubt you will.

1 Like

Jayber Crow would be excellent companion reading to some heavy theological thesis like Penner’s. While Penner is busy theorizing about deep theology, Berry has his characters just living it (or not!) in the most delightful tapestries of relationship. That novel probably delivers as much theological payload through the back door as theological freight trucks like Penner’s can deliver at the theology-loading dock.

2 Likes

Nothing aimless so far. Plot is not the only thing that drives a story wonderful novel.
Grouding in place, which I understand a lot yet less than I wish I did. Transitoriness of relationships, as well as our pasts for good or bad. Development of the self. Deep questions of faith. Yeah.

1 Like

When we were free of the trees, he set the boat right in the channel and down we went, just booming along. Not far below the mouth of WIllow Run we passed by Spires Landing. Having kept it so clearly in my mind for so long, I saw it now in the strangeness of time. It was a floating world, I thought, a falling world, a floating world rising and falling. All the buildings were still there, changed by whatever had happened during the last twelve years, and by the flood that had risen up to the foundation of the store and had carried a good-sized barn into the road in front of the house. But it seemed to me that even if every thing had been changed I would have recognized it by the look of the sky. (Jaber Crow p. 92)

One day we went west, first to Wheaton, and then after lunch, farther west to DeKalb (home of DeKalb Genetics) and Northern Illinois University, where Scott and I spent our first year of marriage. Nothing looked familiar as we came into town. Even the parts of campus that we had walked by often were unfamiliar. Then we found our old apartment building, which looked nearly identical. And started recognizing places friends had lived and how to get to our old department buildings. Econ and English, standing side by side. The entire experience was utterly surreal.

This passage from Berry struck me similarly. That strange moment, when your eyes focus as well as your brain, and you start sseing things in a different, familiar way.

2 Likes

You know I think the warning he writes in the beginning of the book is pretty interesting in light of Penner’s ideas. See if I can find it above … here it is:

NOTICE
Persons attempting to find “text” in this book will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find “subtext” in it will be banished; persons attempting to explain, interpret, explicate, analyze, deconstruct, or otherwise “understand” it will be exiled to a desert island in the company of only other explainers.

BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Sounds to me like he doesn’t want anyone mining it for epistemic nuggets.

2 Likes

I love it! And the kid raised with awareness and a lot of acceptence of PoMo might reply, “Dear, Mr. Berry, with great and enduring respect I say, if you didn’t want anyone to apply thought to your text, you should never have published it. There is great risk in putting our work out to public view. Anything can happen once that horse is out of the barn. In which case, I accept your challenge, then, and all associated risks.”

2 Likes

Yeah while epistemic concerns predominate you can’t get too far without a bit of analysis, and I didn’t think “understanding” belonged on that list, no how. Probably he worded this so extremely by way of suggesting you can’t just think your way through the book and expect to get much of value. If your feeling and intuition don’t light up regularly while reading his book, the author at least isn’t interested in reading whatever you choose to blather on about.

1 Like

Nor can you get anywhere at all if all you do is analysis! I’m sensing a common theme among our authors (Penner, Fisher, and Berry) here: and that is that true life (true religion … whatever) will never be contained in the cerebrum. It is almost entirely to be found instead in the hands and feet.

I ran across another passage of Fisher’s today that made me think his perspective is almost a kind of “post-Pauline” one - and perhaps in a good way! (i.e. - one that I think Paul might have approved of were he here in our context now.)

5 Likes

Citation, please, Merv? Would love to look that over.

I once told a friend, when we were talking about some idea or another and where we had read it dicussed, that at times my life feels very much like a walking-talking bibliography.

Bibliographic standards human.

Those were all my paraphrased words in that last post - not a direct quote.

But as for the passage of Fisher’s that I had just read that gave me the idea (expressed in the 1st paragraph if that’s what you had in mind) … here one of them is (and here is some background so I don’t have to include even more of an already long extended quote). Pastor Fisher is preparing to travel to Nepal to help train some very needy pastors there, and yet he is having his own turmoils, doubts (and physical sickness) fueling his ‘dark night’ of struggles afflicting him the night of his departure. I’ll let him pick up the story from here (p. 144)

I lay in bed—miserable, sweating profusely, aching all over, running a 103-degree fever—and nasty thoughts started running through my head. In the past forty-eight hours, two planes had gone down in Nepal. (Due to the altitude, mountainous terrain, severe weather, and inexperienced pilots, Nepal is the most dangerous place in the world to fly.) My faith was fragile; I’d feared I would lose it at numerous points over the past year. I did not want to leave my wife and son. I did not feel like traveling to the other side of the world in service of a faith I had lost much faith in. And then the voice of my inner atheist (we’ve all got one) started rattling off every deep and dark doubt that lurks down in my soul. “Let’s level with each other, Austin. We both know that you don’t really know if any of this Christianity stuff is real. I won’t argue probability percentages with you, but what do you think the chances really are? Sixty/forty? You want to fly across the world for a wager like that? And not to be emotionally manipulative, but how many children have to die before you sober up and see that life is a cold, ugly tragedy? What must happen for you to accept the obvious fact that the universe could not care less what happens to anybody? And while we’re at it, what kind of father leaves his family to fly across the world in the name of a faith he is not and could not possibly be certain of?” With both my physical and theological immune systems down, I could not put up much of a fight. I was tired of fighting. And I wish I could tell you that at the end of this dark night of the soul, the voice of God came to the rescue, banishing my doubts and filling me with peace and assurance. Faith did not come to my rescue that night. I got up early the next morning and boarded my flight, but faith didn’t get me on that plane—love did.

Fischer, Austin. Faith in the Shadows (pp. 144-145). InterVarsity Press. Kindle Edition.

And regarding the 2nd paragraph (if that’s what you had in mind), I had Fisher’s entire chapter 12 in mind (beginning on p. 147). I won’t do any more extended quotation … these quotes are all teasers and need the text on either side to express his more complete thoughts. So my summary of what I’m suggesting might be his “post-Pauline” idea from ch. 12 is this: that even if we were faced with the stark choice (inspired by Dostoevsky) of choosing between Christ and Truth, Fisher comes to the conclusion that he would have to choose Christ. I.e. Now that he has seen something of what Christ was about and the beauty of who Christ is to and for the world, Fisher declares that he would be a fool to walk away from such beauty … and for what? Some finally nihilistic truth? So in the “worst case scenario” (which Fisher says it can’t really come to that in any case - no proving stuff either way - but even if it did…) in that worst case scenario he would “rather be wrong about Christ, than right about anything else.”

I’m calling that Fisher’s “post-Pauline” idea because it is in stark contrast to Paul’s “If Christ has not been raised, then we are to be most pitied of all creatures.” So Paul is declaring that Christianity is not in any way a desirable road if it turns out to not be true, and it would seem that Paul places his commitment ultimately with truth, having the confidence that Christ then is (had better be) that truth. Paul was not finding ‘beauty’ in all his beatings and sufferings and humiliations, and understandably so. But Fisher, in contrast, is seeing something in Christ which is riveting his loyalty single-mindedly to His narrative - stark realities be damned, should they fail to match. Has Fisher then, surpassed Paul in this regard? He would probably not own that suggestion. But I think Fisher is living in a different time than Paul, and has had yet more exposure the the nihilisms inherent in modernism with its selective skepticisms than Paul could know of. After nearly twenty centuries of philosophical/religious navel gazing and agonizing over philosophies and texts, there is a certain amount of “get off your butts and do something” that has become more appropriate for so many now. Yes - belief is important, but we need to lose our attitudes of thinking that our highly modernist, highly cerebral belief must come first. There are times that love, in action, will lead us to the faith that can help sustain such love and action. And I think Paul would absolutely be on board with that. Paul is entitled to object that all his sufferings are, for him a highest expression of his conviction that this had all better be true! Nobody will begrudge Paul that given what he’s gone through. Nor should we neglect to think (given what Paul writes as a whole) that Paul wouldn’t absolutely agree with Fisher about the beauty of Christ, regardless of whatever our intellects or faith is able to make of the apologetics of our day. So I don’t really think Fisher has left Paul behind in the end. I’m just saying Fisher is on to something that seems to contrast with what Paul wrote in that one letter to the Corinthians.

2 Likes

Wow! Merv, all I was expecting were page numbers! Thank you for fleshing you thoughts out so fully and beautifully. Need to go back now and reread.

I hope not. Paul had just had more irrefutable manifestations than Fisher apparently, and therefore his faith more unshakable? When reading the NT, take note of all that Paul says about confidence and security. It’s not brash, just founded.

It cannot come to that because truth cannot contradict reality, and reality cannot contradict truth.

You’re missing the point. Entirely. Nobody here disputes the modernist conception of truth as a correspondence to reality.

Where it’s probable - in fact nearly certain - that contradictions are lurking is in your perspective of reality as opposed to actual reality. Because you don’t have access to actual reality. What you have access to is your perceptions and understandings of reality. Correspondence will only be parts of that to varying extents that science can help some with, but cannot get us all the way there.

That’s like saying I don’t have access to gravity.

I’m also not saying I’ll never have a “dark night of the soul”. I do hope, should such circumstance tend to influence me that way, that I will be obedient and remember all the times God has faithfully rescued me (and others), as we are admonished to do from the Psalms particularly, but elsewhere as well. (A Spurgeon on fear: April 22, p.m.)