Pithy quotes from our current reading which give us pause to reflect

I was listening to “Art and Faith” (Fujimura) while I was tromping around the yard, looking for daffodils I planted last fall (like a squirrel). This section jumped out:

Hyde identifies the blind spot of modern economics and provides an alternative; he presents a hybrid model combining elements of market economies with his framework for a gift economy that would take into account creativity, the arts, and sustainability. He proposes inventive ways to share creative gifts, such as creative commons and agreements for open sourcing of creative gifts.
For me, reading Hyde’s book for the first time was like walking into the wardrobe that leads to Narnia. Hyde’s words reverberate into the enchanted heart of culture making, and the Good News presented in the Bible. Hyde writes: “A gift may be the actual agent of change, the bearer of new life. In the simplest examples, gifts carry an identity with them, and to accept the gift amounts to incorporating the new identity. It is as if such a gift passes through the body and leaves us altered. The gift is not merely the witness or guardian to new life, but the creator.”
Though Hyde does not go so far as to say this, the gift of God, “the bearer of new life,” is Christ, whom the New Testament calls not only the Savior, but also the Creator (Colossians 1:16). Christ is an example of a pure gift, and he is the Gift. During communion, the Gift literally passes through our bodies and leaves us altered (or altared, if you will)—both transforming us and sanctifying us. There is no reciprocity in this transaction: God likes to give one-way gifts that cannot be reciprocated. We cannot outgive or outgift God.

For a long time I’ve been thinking about Communion/The Lord’s Table and what I find to be the insufficiency of the memorial view that I’m most familiar with . [J. Todd Billings wrote a splendid book on the matter that I still need to finish.] Rememberance (alone) doesn’t seem to reflect what Jesus was doing, when he instituted it. We even call it The Lord’s Table, but we don’t invite him to join us there.

Hyde quote by Fujimura above, and Fujimura indicate what I think is closer to the reality and purpose. Jesus uses this gift and all that it represents to alter us.

Strangely, in a similar vein, I recently read Blood Music, which may seem to have nothing to do with all of this. But considering that what we bring into ourselves becomes part of us and also changes us, is a valuable tangent. Granted, we are not infected with intellegent noocytes, which will completely alter our biology and being. However, we take in other types of “intellegence” in the vast forms of media, in relationships, experiences and the like. Living our lives alters us. At least it should. We are not the fixed selves we like to think we are.

2 Likes

He told them tales of bees and flowers, the ways of trees, and the strange creatures of the Forest, about the evil things and good things, things friendly and things unfriendly, cruel things and kind things, and secrets hidden under brambles.
As they listened, they began to understand the lives of the Forest, apart from themselves, indeed to feel themselves as the strangers where all other things were at home.

Fellowship of the Ring
In the House of Tom Bombidill

1 Like

I like that it challenges our human centric perspective. I wonder why so many think anything that isn’t all about us is superfluous, inessential and disposable. If I thought what gave rise to God belief was a centralized being apart from us I would try hard to imagine that we might not be the creature it was most concerned about or delighted in. Rather than assume what is highest regards it all as we do I’d be inclined to think from that perspective everything would be essential and wondrous. Our self absorption knows no bounds.

1 Like

Keller is not talking about the arts, but that still sure sounds like his Generous Justice.

1 Like

There is more I want to read [watch and listen to] than I have time left (in my week or in my life): Silence and Beauty: Hidden Faith Born of Suffering.

1 Like

It is not self-absorbed of a child to know that it is beloved of its father, nor is it selfish of a child to understand what its father has truthfully told them (he should tell them otherwise?). Imagine an artist’s favorite work or their favorite medium – they can’t have one? (I have a little experience – my sculpture prof in university asked me if I might change my major to art – I still want to be a sculptor when I grow up. ; - )

It would be better for us all if you did. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You know, it’s kind of striking to see how the desire of the self or selfish desire, is impervious to being denied, but how amazing is it that it can be redeemed. This is something I appreciate so much about how John Piper and Jamie Smith write about it.

1 Like

I’m provincial and not well read (and have senior memory to boot) and don’t know Jamie Smith, but pretty much the first hit I saw was this, and just the title is encouraging:

1 Like

My reading is pretty horrible. I do better with audiobooks. And even then I can’t listen to everything I like, or remember the main outlines of the ones I do. Definitely looking forward to that upgrade Elon has been talking about.

As far as pithy quotes, this article has ten of them from Smith’s book You are What You Love:

1 Like

A budding transhumanist! Wouldn’t have thunk it. ; - )

1 Like

This. All of it. Maybe a handful here will read it.

1 Like

Thank you for this. If only …

1 Like

You were number one : )

Sorry to pop Klax’s bubble. ; - ) I read it last week, and you can right-click or touch-hold links and have them open in a new tab without Discourse tallying it.

1 Like

There. I was number four. ; - )

1 Like

I think you’re mistaking what would really just be more comfortable for you for what would actually do you some good. The novelty of my professing to believe what you do would soon wear off leaving you in exactly the same condition. Too bad your faith isn’t sufficient without everyone in the room agreeing with you. :hugs:

Unless you meant it would be better for me in which case no, me professing lies would not be good for me and the only piece of the eternal that interests me is the part I can contribute to in my lifespan. :lying_face:

Or Maybe you were aiming to be humorous by making God sound like a mob boss who has made me a deal I shouldn’t refuse. I like humor! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I was talking about being family. Do you decry that?

Yeah, right.

Sorry, it falls pretty flat, as in way flat.

I was talking about true faith and recognizing reality, as Maggie did – objectively.

To have Jamie Smith and Craig Keener’s books… Kant… ANE languages… the entire Very Short Introduction series… Ravenhill… Packer… Coppleston… Augustine… I’d be sorely tempted.

When I came to the realization I could not possibly read Kant’s CPR, I settled in the hope that I could read it in the new creation.

I mostly know Smith through his book Letters to a Young Calvinist. Recently I picked up his book The Nicene Option, and was impressed with his ability as a philosopher. The book feels like a real mile marker, and I’d like to get back to it.

“It is important to emphasize that the logic of determination and the logic of incarnation are two different stories about difference and particularity, two different construals of finitude, both of which have the epistemic status of faith commitments.”

Excerpt From: “The Nicene Option: An Incarnational Phenomenology” by James K. A . Smith

Read this book on Scribd: The Nicene Option by James K.A. Smith (Ebook) - Read free for 30 days

2 Likes

No surprise then, that Mako Fujimura attends the church Keller pastors. : ) Kindred spirits, I think.

1 Like