Pete Enns and my faith

The only baseball I watch is when there is a spot on something about it on the evening national news, something like someone making a freak catch in the stands or a story about a family.

Whew, that’s not a requirement here. But you have to like Husker volleyball to remain a Nebraskan (not so much football anymore :grin: …which I never particularly did anyway, heretic that I am ; - ).

1 Like

Another recommendation . . . .

I’m seeing excellent books recommended here faster than I could read them!

That and football are two sports I could only get excited about if someone I knew was playing.

2 Likes

Thanks for asking this question. I have struggled with my faith for many years. So much so, I eventually lost it.

Needless to say, it was one of the best things that happened to me. I lost my original narrow evangelical faith and gained a whole new perspective. In fact, I have been awakened and have not looked back since.

Each person’s journey is unique and you may end up in a different place. I would just encourage you that struggling with your faith is part of healthy spiritual growth. If we don’t struggle is probably because we are also not growing or stop asking questions. Healthy faith is one of movement not of stagnation.

Stay curious and stay open.

Blessings.

2 Likes

So to follow up…

I picked up the first book yesterday and have been reading it since.

The first surprise for me, is that the title “The Bible tells me so” is not sarcastic but honestly about what you learn if you actually read the Bible. Like I said before very little of this is likely to apply to me since I was not raised Christian and didn’t have my head filled with things people had told me was in the Bible. I read it myself (cover to cover) twice taking notes. And what I found was quite surprising to me also. What I noticed most, having been raised by extreme liberals full of criticism of the Christian establishment, was that these same criticisms are right there in the Bible itself. Religion is dangerous and it is easily used the wrong way for a great deal of hurt and evil.

I will have to see what people at my church think because the way they do church could have been taken right out of this book. We don’t listen to sermons we discuss the Bible and wrangle over the parts which are disturbing.

3 Likes

It’s an open forum. We let anyone hang out here as long as they follow the guidelines and refrain from being jerks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.