Pastor Rejects Evolution Theory

Indeed. It could be said that there is no such thing as a secondary issue. Every part of some structure is critical to the whole somehow, right?

Perhaps they could be asked the hopefully rhetorical question of what (or rather who) is the cornerstone of the foundation of their faith? And would it disturb them to discover that some of the stones being added to that foundation are actually false? Shouldn’t any of us want to make sure that the things we are depending on as foundational are actually true?

That truth and reality ought to be expected to match each other is surely a foundational conviction, or very much ought to be. We can argue over what reality actually is - but no one should be advocating that it doesn’t exist or ought to be dismissed as insignificant.

What is “evolutionary theory”? There are plenty of things that have been claimed to be a part of evolution that are indeed bad. Likewise, what is “intelligent design”? Is it the general claim that everything is ultimately designed by God? That is a basic Christian belief. But the ID movement makes specific (and problematic) claims about how to detect design and how it has been implemented. So it’s important to clarify terms.

The study page photographed above makes a serious theological error, as well as being scientifically wrong. It’s claiming that a scientific model is an alternative to God. Biblically, evolution is an alternative method of God’s intelligent designing, not an alternative to God. This is the “God of the gaps” error, which is extremely common in young-earth, ID, atheistic, etc. propaganda. But the Bible affirms that all things are under God’s control and guidance. All science is an attempt to model God’s ordinary ways of running creation. Whether or not evolution is an accurate model is a scientific question, but the authors of the study were extremely sloppy theologically when they wrote that section. Ecclesiastes 3:11 raises the possibility that someone might read on to :18-21, which affirms that, on a purely physical [“under the sun”] level, there’s no difference that you can pin down between humans and animals. Indeed, overall, Ecclesiastes tells us that the Intelligent Design movement’s goal of finding scientific evidence of God is misguided - the “under the sun” approach leaves us with mere vanity when it comes to the key questions of God, meaning, etc. The argument from Romans 1 goes on to the example of the conscience, not to scientifically measured things, as the sort of evidence that is available to all that points to God. Genesis 1 teaches that everything is a part of God’s good creation - again, science is thus looking at how God does things, not an alternative to God. It’s also quite untrue that no species or genus has been seen evolving into another; there are myriad examples. In fact, the claim that each species is unchanging was a popular tenet of older antievolutionism but is now rejected by most professional young-earth and ID advocates. They don’t draw attention to the change, which leaves errors like this in their audience, but they have changed significantly in their claims. (Though both young-earth and ID also don’t pay much attention to consistency; when the goal is attacking evolution, any attack is seen as good).

But also, because science is merely looking at physical patterns, the claims that evolution justifies a particular social or moral position are wrong. Ideas such as Marxism, social Darwinism, and eugenics claim that evolution is Progress and we should seek to advance it. But biological evolution merely tells us about God’s usual way of creating new kinds of organisms, not what we should do. In reality, such social schemes generally directly contradict the principles of biological evolution. But they have been widely endorsed as a part of the package with biological evolution, and those errors need to be addressed.

The Intelligent Design movement is a self-described big tent. Thus, there is quite a range within it. If they said “Denton believes that all biological evolution is an example of design, and Behe believes that creation of the first cells was followed by lots of evolution and Wells rejects all evolution, but we can get along”, that could be a good thing. But instead, it’s generally marketed as “ID holds the view that [insert what we think this audience wants to hear]”. Likewise, ID markets itself as just science when trying to promote the idea that it deserves to be in schools, or as a purported apologetic, or when someone raises questions about some of the weird cults represented within its ranks, but claims to be Christian in marketing to Christian audiences or when problems with the science are brought up. Jonathan Wells claiming to be a Christian because Christianity is about opposing evolution, not about Christ, should set off some serious alarms. He’s in the Unification Church, claiming that Rev, Moon was the true messiah. Of course, Christians can work with others on matters of agreement, but that needs to be distinguished from what is uniquely Christian. Likewise, relatively few fans of Intelligent Design would approve of the Raelians’ clothing-deficient parades aimed at attracting people to their goofy UFO cult by promoting their “free love” position. The Raelians claim that humans were produced by cloning by space aliens, not by evolution, and thus support the ID movement.

5 Likes

This response is fantastic! Thank you for it. I was disheartened by the apparent equating of acceptance of evolution and atheism in the study materials.

I did reach out to my pastor for the first time via email. I was respectful and honestly I don’t really care if we disagree on a personal level. I just wanted to point out that many Christians may not share that same level of rejection of evolution theory “whatever that really defines”.

The title of the devotional is called “Battle Lines” and it aims to address hot button, socially relevant topics. Do we know enough to be able to state unequivocally one way or the other? Does it matter? Reminds me of Galileo’s debacle.

3 Likes

Yes, for many people, everything becomes a major issue. Everything is gloom and doom for some.

Re: navigating the topic at hand. Ive learned to live with the lack of certainty and that opinions on almost every issue can differ from person to person. In my opinion, less defensive, more learned and reasonable Christians can clearly distinguish between salvific and other doctrinal concerns.

My Bible study on Monday nights is all conservative but me. But the people running it are of the opinion, if you love Jesus that is all that ultimately matters. I think accepting his divinity is also an expected and unspoken rule. Our group focuses strictly on reading scripture and trying to get closer to God. We try to avoid debate and simply ask questions like: what does this mean for you, name a time in your life where this has been relevant…are you struggling with such and such? We just keep it personal and find spiritual meaning for personal growth rather than engage in theology and try to make sure we understand everything fully. Yes, differences inevitably pop up but we try to move past them. I know I am respectful of their beliefs and will say “I know some is us think Adam and Eve were literal but from my perspective…”

Non-scientific people disregarding evolution in favor of the Bible is at least a bit understandable. The Bible is God’s word, God is real, he guides them, He saved them, they perceive scripture as being fulfilled all the time in their lives. It is true and authenticated in their eyes. Their salvation is incorrectly viewed as being based on the veracity and literalism of the text. Let me get real: I was just reading Sparks and he pointed out the irony of a famous apologist needing to create an entire encyclopedia of Bible difficulties to solve and I immediately recognized what work he meant and chuckled. But if we take it literally, there are all manner of scientific and historical errors, immorality, propaganda and primitive beliefs in the Bible. Despite this, those holding on to inspiration offer some very convoluted theories about the nature of inspiration from the modern perspective. In my mind the evolution-believing Christians are often drowning in the middle. Their exegesis is not conservative enough to join club fideism and not critical enough to join club Ivy League. I tend to perceive it as no-man’s land here in the states.

Also, I think it’s legitimate to ask if science can compete with a genuine salvific experience and personal relationship with God? Not for a lot of people. Science is just something they don’t know about and their knowledge isn’t even sophisticated enough to evaluate the arguments. It’s the misogynists, homophobes and those who seem to lack compassion in the Church I can’t get along with. Every single one us must have some incorrect doctrine or understanding on some point. Getting Genesis right has nothing to do with salvation. It absolutely is a secondary issue in a closed setting of believers when you are there to grow closer to God and lift one another up.

When it comes to witnessing to the world at large, it can be a very open stumbling block. But in today’s world so can repentance which I hear some churches don’t teach very much anymore. For many, the Bible is the stumbling block as it’s commonly understood. Much of it is still a stumbling block for me! Also, countless people have been saved under the guise of incorrect doctrine. God is real whether or not our personal doctrines are correct.

In my experience directly confronting someone’s beliefs as wrong doesn’t tend to go over well. To me you have to plant seeds and just ask the right questions. I can’t just sit down in a few minutes and teach someone the basics of chemistry and radiometric dating or the basics of geology and paleontology.

My opinion is before anyone politely approaches (confronts?) YECs in a closed setting, you have a real good alternative to the literal creation story. Personally, I don’t see even those who accept evolution as getting much of the story right. If you don’t accept a form of the documentary hypothesis, that there are two different creation stories and that is it based on similar stories of the time, your exegesis is no better than the literalistic YEC model. I think evolution believing Christians just read it in light of what they already know about God and read that back into the text. We see this with the very beginning which does not conclusively state that God made the entire universe. He may have formed a pre-existence void. But the majority of Christians take this one way because it’s convention to think the universe was created today. In some ways the YEC interpreters are at least trying to accept scripture at its word and let it serve as conscious and corrector. Non-YECs are just naively trying to read meaning from their current beliefs back into the narrative. For me, you have to become a redaction critic. We absolutely know it’s based on and existed with earlier myths. The parallels are way too extensive. Seeing how the Biblical accounts diverge from the other similar Mesopotamian creation myths is the key to unlocking most of it in my humble opinion. The divergences get you into the mind of the writer. What is needed is a mock synopsis of the various creation and flood myths of the region. But how do you explain ancient Mesopotamian history, the historical critical method and science in one fell swoop to a YEC?

Few will be satisfied or accepting of what you are selling if you undermine the epistemic basis of their intellectual beliefs without giving them something that makes sense in return. I realize what Christy says about “literary references” not necessarily implying factual existence but even to a super-liberal thinker like me, this is unsatisfying. I can’t shake the fact that much of the NT takes the OT at its word. Accepts much of it as history and so on. I mean Luke traces a genealogy back to Adam and Eve! To most conservatives, and I wholly agree with them, it is absolutely silly to think Adam and Eve were literal people and maintain the other 90% of the creation narratives are mythological. That is such a dubious hermeneutic I sympathize with them in rejecting it. Not to mention once you accept science on Genesis 1-11, why are you not accepting archaeology on the Exodus or rejecting many traditional ideas critical scholars now reject. YECs rejecting science in my eyes, is little different than non-YECs rejecting most of Biblical criticism. Obviously hard science is far stronger in certitude than Biblical criticism but to me, this is just the pot calling the kettle black.

To me the issue is not really about YEC. It’s about the nature of scripture and inspiration. It’s really about “inerrancy.” Viewing the Bible as something it’s not. In my mind most Christians seem to think that since the Bible is God’s word you should be able to believe the plain sense of what is written in there. I even have friends who ask me “you don’t believe that? But isn’t it in the Bible?.” In my neck of the woods, to regular folk outside universities and on some message boards debating finer points of doctrine and Biblical exegesis, most people think in simple terms like this. The real question is how do you present a good alternative to this? Approaching a pastor, even politely, with the facts of evolution is probably not itself going to be fruitful. In my mind, verbal-plenary inspiration is the real problem in all of this.

Vinnie

1 Like

Well stated. But it’s worth pointing out…we’ve got each other here at Biologos!

7 Likes

You could try all the suggestions, but it wouldn’t hurt to start looking around.

Tell him his discussion of biblical kinds was interesting, and that he should follow up and provide a list of all the kinds.

1 Like

Thank you for your well-thought reply!

In regards to biblical inerrancy; what about the following scriptures;

*Matt 5:18 “For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.”

& in 2 Timothy 3:16-17. It says,

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

2 Likes

Matthew 5:18 is hard to interpret. This requires a very careful analysis of Matthew. In Mark Jesus said to hell with the law and declared all foods clean. He also used dubious exegesis (it was actually Mark, not Jesus) to justify his disciples plucking grain on the sabbath). Not to mention in Matthew itself, Jesus overthrows the Mosaic teachings on divorce and throws oath taking under the bus. But I would also point out most Christians have ditched many of the 613 precepts the torah OT law. Jesus certainly had a high view of the OT but a wooden literalism doesn’t seem to be part of his repertoire and ascribing the modern doctrine of inerrancy to jesus is anachronistic.

I agree with 2 Timothy but God breathed to me means inspired. It doesn’t tell us how God inspired it (chose the very words or just gently moved the authors as he saw fit in certain directions letting them still obtain control). But I like to start with verse 15: and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

That is the point of scripture. That is God’s intended purpose. In addition USEFUL for pedagogy in order that our behavior might imitate the one we love. Scripture serves the purpose for which God intended it. It is absolutely clear to me it comes from a human perspective.

And the simplest reason for thinking God did not care to inspire an inerrant Bible (in regards to factual details about science, history and even theology) is that it isn’t inerrant. Not to mention all the original copies of the Bible have been lost. No person in the entire history of the Church has ever actually possessed an inerrant Bible. He who inspired an inerrant Bible can just as easily inspire inerrant copying.

Also, from a historical perspective, Timothy can probably only be extended to the Old Testament with any certainty.

Vinnie

I’m many cultures things like fairytales, folktales and ect… are all equally important to teach from.

For example me and some friends could watch Higurashi snd see how love and friendship places a crucial role in them not being killed. We could see how loyalty to those who love you back instead of turning your back on them out of fear for something evil showcase being loving friends.

We could then also look at real life examples of people doing things for those they love. We could watch a man dash past firefighters and race into a burning building for his dog and understand he truly loves his dog.

We could read a few poetic and proverbial sayings about love and learn from it.

We could read the love languages to better understand how so memorize perceives love.

We could read a science book focused on the chemicals and hormones involved in caring about someone and how this or that part of the brain could light up and so on.

We could ask someone what could we do for them.

All of those things can help teach a important story. So just because something is God breathed and used for teaching does not mean it’s literal and the copies of copies of copies thst have been translated and translated again and again does not necessarily mean it’s a exact copy of what was first.

1 Like

It is only when you realise that survival fitness is the ability to love thy neighbour like thy own, that you realise that the law is only fulfilled if we reach that state. Humans have been created with the ability to do that and sin was a neccesary way to realise the self and how to come to everlasting life, its puberty in a nutshell, the separation of the self from the parent in order to truly love them by being able to give your self away for the sake of others.

I recommend Finding Darwin’s God by Kenneth Miller, a Brown University Biology professor and a practicing Roman Catholic. It is possible to be a Christian and believe that evolution is the best scientific explanation we have at the moment for the diversity of life forms that have existed on Earth.

I think that many people have loyalties to their particular cultural group and its echo chamber that led them to accept a particular explanation as their own personal scientific explanation. If Protestant Christians disagree on so many other things - the various versions of Calvinism, speaking in tongues, the existence or non-existence of “eternal security” and eschatological scenarios, for example - how could we expect otherwise when it comes to the origin of species?

Take a look at An Index to Creationist Claims for answers to creationist claims.

2 Likes

Ciaociara…You have gotten some good thoughts here! I left a particular Sunday school class at the church I attend for that particular reason. It was not just evolution/creationism but several other theological perspectives. You cannot agree with everyone on everything, but when the list of disagreements begins to grow longer, it is time for a change. In your case, this also depends on how this issue is worked out in the context of your church and its sermons and worship patterns. You are not going to agree with everyone on everything, but a line may some day be crossed…and where that line is, is for you to decide! I do know that my own church has a mix of views on the YEC/OEC/etc issue, but likely people for the most part keep them to themselves…My Sunday school class was the exception.

1 Like

@ciaociara I’ll add some comments here because there is yet another view not mentioned here which might be helpful.

The four major views are the secular, the Evolutionary Creationist (Biologos), Progressive Creationist (RTB at Reasons.org, aka OEC), and Young Earth, and these form kind of a spectrum. As a PC/OEC myself, I find Genesis phenomenological but poetic, and that it aligns astoundingly with actual science. I think God created at the Big Bang per Gen 1:1, the early Earth was a water world per Gen 1:2, and that if we demand modern scientific language or nothing in Genesis, we’ll get nothing. I personally don’t believe life started on its own and I think Evolution needed help, these FWIW from studying the actual scientific data.

In general I commend Biologos desire to reconcile the Bible and science, I recognize the sincere faith of my siblings in Christ who hold their views, but I don’t find the need to deprecate the Biblical account in order to get science and the Bible to reconcile. This view is also held fairly widely among God’s people.

Now if your Pastor is truly going YEC, you MUST NOT try to argue science with him, because his interpretation of the Bible trumps the science and you will make yourself suspect. My conversations with YEC always focus on what the Bible actually says. For example Gen 1:1,2 imply the passing of time and of creative activity before the first day. The verb for the spirit of God “hovering” or “brooding” over the waters is not a zero time verb. Therefore the “first day” is not the first 24 hours. Then there is the sabbath of God which is still on-going, continuing since after the sixth, way more than 24 hours.

If you are by this approach going to raise questions about the YEC view, you need to have an alternative that does not then relegate the Bible to yet another ancient Near Eastern myth. I find the ministry of RTB more effective at helping YEC move toward science than Biologos because of a more intentional engagement with scripture. Here’s a brief sampling. God Created a Home for Us in a Sacred Place - Reasons to Believe

I know many on the Biologos forums dislike RTB and it’s approach, but if you want to help your Pastor (or any YEC) reconcile with science, you might find better resources there.

Hope that helps!

4 Likes

Good advice, Marty. I personally like RTB and think BioLogos has a good relationship with Hugh Ross despite the differences. He was even a speaker at the BioLogos conference in Houston a few years back.

3 Likes

Excellent insights, Marty! You probably have Hebrews 4: 9-10 in mind, if I am not mistaken:

“So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.”

Here I would say an even broader view could be considered: Gravity does not work without God’s Providence. Nor does the water cycle, or nuclear fission, or nuclear fusion, or the laws of thermodynamics.

Hugh Ross is a wonderful, godly brother with a deep grasp of Scripture, astrophysics, and the apologetics of fine tuning.

My one caveat: Neither he nor Rana seem to have a solid grasp of evolutionary biology. But I still appreciate their ministry.

Good to hear from you again!

Chris

EDIT: Corrected misspelling of name.

3 Likes

That would be overstating what I have, certainly. I used to be a solid RTB and ID supporter, having learned of Dr. Ross in a   fluke   providential occasion :slightly_smiling_face: before RTB was even officially a thing, ca. 1982. More recently, though, primarily due to learning of the neutral theory of evolution and neutral drift – I had never heard of it, even though it has been around since 1968 – and its ability to produce complexity, and secondarily because of God’s providential timing of mutations in my renal DNA (those of you who have read my nephrectomy account might recollect), I now endorse evolutionary science.

3 Likes

Totally agree Richard! I am happy to allow this to be “if your brother eats meat unto the Lord or if he doesn’t eat meat unto the Lord” scenarios.

However, I just worry about the legitimacy of my own faith being called into question if people know about my acceptance of evolution. Guess there’s nothing I can do about that! My faith is between myself and God.

2 Likes

Marty, thank you so much for your reply.

I align with what you are saying entirely regarding your personal beliefs. I also feel that God would not give us anything false or frivolous in his Word, including the creation story.
However, the Bible is often metaphorical and even Jesus approached text from “outside the box” on many occasions.

I will gladly look into that resource!

UPDATE:

I reached out to my pastor via the church “contact us” email and am unsure if he saw it himself or if it was channeled by a church staff member (difficulty of being part of a large congregation);

I was contacted regarding by the president of the church’s college (they run a theological and ministry program). He recommended Micheal Behe (not sure if any of you are familiar) but he seems to be an ID supporter. I responded with some of what I have learned in recent months and that was the end of the conversation.

Not sure what I was looking for!

4 Likes