On Reverse Engineering the Human Embryo

Let me remind you guys that we will not allow this to become a discussion about abortion, and if the conversation goes that way, the thread will will closed. It is enough on our plate to discuss evolution and will let those discussions be done on other forums.

1 Like

I agree. Let’s assume for the sake of the discussion that the question of whether IVF is itself ‘moral’ is irrelevant.

Then the questions cover:

• What we think of biomedical research on human-derived material
  • How long into development should be embryos be allowed to proceed in experiments. – Unfortunately, as this touches on abortion, I think this question is off-limits.
  • What sort of medical interventions do we think are acceptable? For immediate medical problems? For problems that may arise in the future? For problems that have a certain level of probability? What level of impact (life-threatening vs. cosmetic)?
  • What do we think of medical intervention that results in permanent changes to the patient OK, if the patient cannot give consent.
  • What do we think of medical intervention that produces changes to a patient’s germ line (i.e. capable of being passed to future generations).

@jpm

Agreed and thank you.

Argon, this is a fair question to ask. At this point, I think the important thing is for Christians to become increasingly aware of the issues and not to move into a coasting mode. It would likely be counterproductive for me to give my own personal views in this broad sphere because those views have not yet been sufficiently shaped by others who need to join the discussion. I am only a developmental geneticist—so in the larger sphere that’s all I’d bring to the table. In the more local sphere, over coffee, I’d love to talk with you – to share my views as they exist at this time, to get your reaction, and to listen to yours. Do you ever get to San Diego? :smiling_face:

The blog itself is about the need for loving, well-reasoned discussions among Christ-centered individuals in our local communities who think differently, but are grounded in the desire to understand each other’s views in a manner permeated by love. However, it is also a call for church leaders --theologians, bioethicists, biologists, pastors and representatives of the general Christian community–to organize, to begin meeting and talking about these issues in ways that bring honor to life in the Kingdom. It is probably not wise to sort through the issues here in an online chat room. They are, as I see it, far too sensitive for that.

Having said all of that, Argon, I appreciate your desire to move beyond just talking about talking. You are completely correct that we’ve not had a good track record and I understand your skepticism as to whether we’ll be able to take it much further. The point of the blog is to say–we must!

1 Like