On a thin tightrope as of now concering my faith walk

It is also important to be reading scripture regularly, and using a daily devotional is good, too. My favorites are Spurgeon and Joy & Strength. (The latter is a significant piece of my nephrectomy story.)

(Notice also the Devotionals heading and drop down menu to select from at that first site, Heartlight.org.)

1 Like

I appreciate your comment. The kind(s) of meditation that advocate emptying our minds are not for us as Christians! We are to be filling our minds we the right things and humbling ourselves, remembering who God is and what he has done and is doing, and being thankful. A take that I have adapted from the renowned atheist and early psychologist, William James, is that we make a continuous moral choice as to what we pay attention to. We are told in multiple places in scripture what those things should be like, e.g. Philippians 4:8 and Hebrews 12:2.

2 Likes

I should have noted that I certainly did not mean any kind of frenzied filling! When I am having my blood pressure taken at whatever medical facility (more and more frequently with my years :slightly_smiling_face:), I will close my eyes and rest in the Lord, recalling momentarily his peace, no matter what external circumstances may indicate (I just had a biopsy this morning) – and it will typically it will be where it belongs.

For some reason, this makes me think of @jpm’s “Argument with Teeth,” which gave me a good chuckle.

I hope the results of your biopsy are favourable, though of course it’s never easy and one has to try to trust and carry one despite what the doctor has to say. I feel I’m preaching to the choir in saying that to you, though.

1 Like

Something else that is good is having some good music content in your life, too – maybe memorizing some hymns and/or other Christian songs.

One that is very old and perennial favorite is Be Thou My Vision… (I’ve taken liberties and revised two words ):

https://hymnary.org/hymn/TH1990/642

There are some audio files at the bottom of this page:

Another contemporary favorite of mine (that I haven’t memorized :slightly_smiling_face:) is Laura Story’s Blessings (the last verse and especially the third line is key):

3 Likes

Be Thou My Vision is one of my fav hymns along with “God of Glory and Grace.”

3 Likes

My advice is to find some balance in your spiritual life. As you’ve discovered, faith is not a worldview or a philosophy, but a way of living. By your description, it sounds like your spiritual life is dominated by the life of the mind, which led you into a dead zone. More study – even more Bible study – isn’t likely to help. To recover your balance, I suggest you incorporate other spiritual disciplines into your daily life. If you’re not familiar with them, here’s an incomplete list:

• Disciplines of abstinence: solitude, silence, fasting, frugality, chastity, secrecy, and sacrifice.
  • Disciplines of engagement: study, worship, celebration, service, prayer, fellowship, confession, and submission.

I hate to recommend a book to someone who obviously reads too much :wink:, but Dallas Willard’s book The Spirit of the Disciplines is a great introduction. Hang in there!

https://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Disciplines-Understanding-Changes-Lives/dp/0060694424

4 Likes

My own book, Friend of Science, Friend of Faith (2019), was written with your struggle directly in mind. Deb Haarsma (BioLogos president) and other BioLogos folks have given it very positive reviews. Obligatory apologies for promoting my own work - but I really want the book to reach people like you!

7 Likes

I apologize for forgetting it! Since you’re too polite, I’ll throw in the link to Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Friend-Science-Faith-Listening-Works/dp/0825445418

1 Like

Its okay, other then religious/theology books I have been reading a few fiction/horror books and some books for studies in college. Just another to add to the back burner I guess.

1 Like

An empty mind is an oxymoron.

Then that’s what folks practicing TM are trying to be, filling it with “Ommmmm”, “Allowing the attention to go inward, toward the inner field of silence” and “‘focused attention’ is not prescribed”? Christians are prescribed focused, but peaceful and not frantic paying attention to the right things.

Finished reading it a few weeks ago, trying to decide who to share it with as it is really good. May have to buy another copy.

1 Like

What folks? I love living in the moment with art and nature.

Praise the Lord! I am glad to hear that the Holy Spirit is now meeting you as you read the Bible.

Revelation 3:20
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

It sounds like you have had a wonderful encounter with God, He has knocked, and you are letting Him in.

As others have stated, this process takes time. So be patient and thankful for how the Lord is meeting you as you bring your questions to Him. Keep reading, thinking, asking, praying, worshiping, and meeting together with other believers. He gives us each our own unique adventure and personal relationship with Him.

1 Like

Although other people on this forum have given some great advice and recommended great pieces of literature, I thought I would throw in my two cents as well. First off, I find the best thing to do when you have questions or concerns with your faith is the write them down. Don’t just let the questions sit there static because they make you feel uncomfortable. I found the more questions you ask, the stronger your faith becomes. Now, you mentioned you were a YEC. Usually I would recommend Biologos, but you’re already here. So I’d recommend John Walton’s lost world series, specifically the first two or three books. He goes over what the biblical text would most likely mean given the ancient near eastern context. For a more philisophical/theological views, CS Lewis has written some amazing works. His books Mere Christianity and Reflection of the Psalms were food for thought, but The Skrewtape Letters and The Great Divorice were my personal favorites for their wonderful plot and meaning behind them. If you want some books on the resurrection of Jesus, there is The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Habermas and Licona or The Resurrection of the Son of God by NT Wright. (I’ve also heard the Wright has a good book on Paul too). Lastly, if you’re just looking for nice read to enjoy, Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus is a great conversion story about a muslim’s path to Christ. Now I understand, as a college student, you’re quite busy. So if you just want some quick answers to common questions, you ought to check out the youtube channel “Inspiring Philosophy”. The man has videos convering all the topics I’ve listed above, and he sites his sources if you want to delve deeper. So have a great day and God bless.

3 Likes

The folks sitting in a lotus position with their eyes closed saying “Ommmmmmmmmm”, maybe in a tenement, trying to empty their minds. That ain’t “living in the moment with art and nature.”

I have read the first three books and love them. My issue was looking into the ancient sources/environment of the Bible to critically and treating it like as an old, outdated book that had no relevance to us today and that was where I went wrong. My mistake was taking an overstep and seeing the Bible as an ancient and outdated series of documents that meant nothing to us in the 21st century. But, I have fixed my course and am trying to get back on track.

N.T. Wright and John Walton are one of my fav Bible scholars.

3 Likes

I have never known anyone who did that, have you. I can’t imagine it doing any harm, there are worse things to do under the banner ‘bible study’.

@Dale and @Klax , whether or not Eastern cultural/religious practices can be appropriated for Christian spiritual development is pretty tangential to this thread. If you want to continue to discuss it, start a new thread or take it to PM.