Off-topic spin-off thread: Wookin's ideas about interpreting various NT passages

Evidently I can’t move parts of threads to new threads any more without creating a new thread first. That is an unfortunate software upgrade. And it doesn’t work like it did before, so sorry about the posts that appear in two places.

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: My journey through faith/introduction

My friend, you can’t abandon your faith. Think of your salvation as a soccer ball when the pass comes to you, you receive it. You don’t look at the coach and say that you refuse to accept it.

(1 John 2:19) “They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us.”

But I pray that God keeps you. Good luck in the next world cup :slight_smile:

Hebrews 6:4-6 “For it is impossible to bring back to repentance those who were once enlightened—those who have experienced the good things of heaven and shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the power of the age to come— and who then turn away from God. It is impossible to bring such people back to repentance; by rejecting the Son of God, they themselves are nailing him to the cross once again and holding him up to public shame.”

Sure sounds like abandoning your faith to me.
We could proof text this issue all day.

2 Likes

Yes. okay. So lets say the resurrection has been proven false.
You wouldn’t believe anymore right?
That would be very unreasonable,Right?

Well, neither did I, but you can’t hold it against him; nobody is perfect.

Just kidding, I come from pure Dutch stock…

2 Likes

This verse is not speaking of believers (His sheep). The author is kind of being facetious (if that is an accurate term to use). If you somehow have broken the shackles of the most powerful force in the universe, then you have demonstrated that you are more powerful than God. Parable of the sower; some delighted in the word. The author here is telling us that it is impossible to lose your salvation. I find it funny how people use this verse to prove the opposite.

(John 6:37) “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.”

(John 6:39) “And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.”

unreasonable?

Interesting that so many read this parable the wrong way. It’s not primarily about the seeds. It’s about the sower.

But, by the way:

“Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of instruction about washings and laying on of hands, and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment. And this we will do, if God permits. For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.” (Hebrews 6:1-6)

Who are these that “have once been enlightened”? Do they even exist? Or is this a hypothetical situation that doesn’t ever actually happen? And if so, why is it here?

1 Like

Euh. It would be very Illogical to believe then?

This verse is not speaking of believers (His sheep). The author here is telling us that it is impossible to lose your salvation. I find it funny how people use this verse to prove the opposite.

To which verse are you referring? The Hebrews passage? Are you suggesting that someone can be enlightened, taste “the heavenly gift,” taste the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and be made a partaker of the Holy Spirit (!!!), but not be a believer?

Or are you talking about the parable of the sower, which has less to do with salvation than “fruitfulness”?

You are talking about the cross vs evolution. Not exactly on the same level.

But in reality we see that many people abandon their faith.
Or would you say they never were saved in the first place?

What? I’m asking you if you would believe in a thing when its proven wrong.

An emphatic, YES! Answer me this. Did Judas (son of perdition) baptize and perform miracles as the rest of the disciples?

Absolutely. Are you introducing a circular argument? Judas was not really saved so he couldn’t lose his salvation?

Or…conversely, did he lose his salvation?

Who is it that has partaken but is not sealed? And how do you know?

Partaking is one thing

(Corinthians 1:22) “22 and who has also put his SEAL on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.”

My friend, your unwillingness not to accept the literal interpretation of the bible does not mean it is proven wrong

You are avoiding my question.
But i do accept the literal interpretation of the Bible. If the author meant it to be literal.

1 Like