Not sure what to believe any more

@wkdawson, From what I know of Japan, if you teach a Christianity that has room for veneration of their ancestors - - you should do fairly well.

One of the largest religious wars on Earth was in China… a suppression of a Chinese form of Christianity… that attempted to CRUSH Chinese traditions. Ultimately, the Chinese Christians were CRUSHED - and in the process making General Tsao famous as well. So famous Westerners named a Chinese chicken dish after the General … ironically, a recipe that very few Chinese has ever tasted in their native land!

I could not agree with you more. And just to add to it your statement:
I grew up in Ohio where we went to a small Baptist church (closer to Lutheran in its worship) moved to Tennessee when I was 10 yr old, and then tried to go to a Baptist church in the south: faith ender.
I was terrified, confused, turned anti-Christian and completely atheist (I had a whole lot of friends in high school while in the Bible Belt) until I went to college and met a girl, Christian, who excepted me and my friendship exactly the way I was.
That was the beginning of me finding my way back to believe in a creator, and eventually excepting Christ.

I say all this, because she excepted me as I was, it’s what brought me to my knees, and it is the same way I except people who look at the Bible as literal history.
Now, that being said, there is a fine line between, a strong faith that goes against every scientific bit of evidence we have that doesn’t hurt anyone, and one that becomes a pillar in which you build your faith like Ken Ham has done (I think that’s his name, the guy who built the ark in Kentucky with dinosaurs and everything). That’s dangerous. Because to a non believer it make Christians look ignorant, unable to except science, and puts a creation before Christ.

Now, I go to a nondenominational church that has a few people who believe in a young earth creation, and a few more that believe in evolution, and my pastor just got ordained as an Anglican Priest. At the end of the day it’s not the story that brings us together, it’s the belief if Christ as the son of God. Everything else is up for debate.

2 Likes

You asked for opinions from skeptics, so I thought I might fill that role for you.

First, I personally know many Christian scientists who have no problem melding science and faith. I think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you decide not to pursue Christianity simply because of creationism.

I am not going to tell you to go one way or another since that is really none of my business. It is your life to live. Any decision you make should be your decision, and you shouldn’t feel compelled or pressured by other people. Of course, feel free to seek the counsel of others, but know that you are the only person in the world that is going to have to live with you your entire life.

Most importantly, there are bad and good people in the faith and outside the faith. There are people who are wrong about a lot of things among Christians and among atheists. Your mileage may vary, but my reactions with other people within christianity and outside of christianity really aren’t that different. People tend to want the same things, such as acceptance, love, someone to laugh with, someone to cry with, and someone to share their lives with. So I guess my other advice is don’t feel you will be alone in life if you choose one course over the other.

As you state, faith is probably going to be a part of your decision. That was the big sticking point for me as well. Again, my path has been my path, and I don’t see why others have to follow it. All I will say is that, in my experience, the question of faith is going to be central question in your journey. As others in this thread have stated, they have regained their faith and are living wonderful lives. I think everyone should be happy for them. Whatever choice you make be sure that it is the one that makes you happy.

2 Likes

A similar issue of ancestral worship exists here. The eldest son has the role of maintaining the family grave site (where they point the ashes of the family), so there is some of that “double portion” notion that we see in the old testament. (Indeed, the collective blame aspect of OT goes as far as when a Japanese jumps in front of a train, the laws are such that the family is held responsible and a very big fine is imposed on the family.) So a major issue for Japanese is how the Japanese traditions will be addressed if one becomes Christian. Moreover, for family members who refuse to follow Jesus (at least actively confessing Jesus as savior), what is in store for them? Since family often plays a central role to image of self within Asian cultures, it would not be wise to take the Western individualism tack of bluntly saying “they’re going to hell” (not that most missionaries would actually say that).

In China, since a lot of this tradition was demolished by communism (at the very hands of Chinese), perhaps this is why there is less resistance to Christianity in China. Communism is also “foreign”. In some ways, Marx’s humanistic views read something akin to a peculiar Christianity without the Christ. These abstractions don’t exist in Japan.

However, rather than even delving into these dicey matters of family etc, a bigger problem is expressing the Christian faith in a practical sense to Japanese. The language and culture is built around Buddhist and Shinto traditions, So there is a whole language that has to be learned and absorbed in the process of really accepting the Christian faith over their traditions. How Japanese come to understand that is a different journey from our Western traditions. The worst thing about the West is the tendency to think that we just cart in our theological framework, and everyone understands it just as we do. We don’t appreciate the thousands of years of traditions that built that framework and foundation. People in Asian have to discover that framework and foundation largely from scratch.

I guess one of the things that is over emphasized with YEC (in my opinion) is a bit related to “accommodation”, which I read to some extent in Samurai’s comments. We might call it something like learning to see God somewhere in the science, but much like cultural accommodation is often treated as a dirty word within some Christian circles, Samurai’s problems are both cross cultural in the sense of culture and in the sense of science, including YEC. Our own tradition of Christmas is probably an accommodation of the pagan traditions of a winter solstice celebration. It has become some powerful in a reverse way, that Jews basically came up with Hanukkah to help overcome the pressure within their families. So it seems like we should respect a culture’s traditions and let the people of that culture find a satisfying way of their own to express and blend that into their faith. So, for example, Obon in Japan – where the family goes to clean the family grave site, etc – could maybe find some connection with the Festival of Booths (mentioned in Leviticus) or something of the sort.

I don’t quite know it is so easy to work with the ancestral things though. I guess Rebekah brought the household gods with her when Jacob fled Laban. For all Jacob’s scheming to get the blessing and the birthright, it doesn’t seem he got anything other than thorns and thistles, but on his way back from Laban, he remembered the Lord in his furious outburst at Laban and he struggles with God and there in Peniel, reveals his name to God (unlike his earthly father Isaac) and receives the real blessing. But from there, Jacob also sees that he has to clean house. At any rate, it surely wouldn’t hurt for those of us from Western traditions to have a little more understanding of the difficulties Japanese and other deeply developed and ancient cultures of Asia go through in their own faith journeys.

by Grace we proceed

2 Likes

First, thanks for sharing your experience in another culture. We forget that the honor/shame culture that you are describing in Japan was in many ways very similar to the first-century Mediterranean culture. Self-image in those cultures definitely is tied to family and place of origin. You see this in Jesus’ rejection in his hometown of Nazareth (“Isn’t this the carpenter’s son?! Where did he get such wisdom?!”), and in John 9:29 (“We know God has spoken to Moses! We don’t even know where this man comes from!”). More importantly, you see it in places like Mark 3:31-35, where Jesus redefines family as the company of his disciples. Think of all the metaphors for the family of God, the sons/daughters of God, adoption, inheritance, etc., etc.