Non literal Adam and Eve

Proverbs 5:19 too. Now I’d better stop or this will become R rated

1 Like

Our junior high favorite selection was 7:7-8 “I said, I will climb the palm tree and take hold of its fruit.” Fruit being boobs, of course. (Then we’d get glared at by my mom for giggling during the sermon.)

2 Likes

Drawing on my twenty five years experience with that audience, anything sexual or bathroom related is golden in middle school. But somehow baby gazelles seem too angular and bony. Something like puppies is the ideal sweater inhabitant.

1 Like

My sister and her friends once started giggling during the reading of a text that involved John the Baptist and the mention of the word “thong.” Of course, I, being the maturer one, kept my giggles to myself…mostly. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Reminds me of that quaint time when “thong” meant “flip flop” and the giggles that happen when we older folk use it as such. ( I was down at the beach, and my thong blew out…)
To try to get back to some semblance of the topic, it is interesting how the shame of Adam and Eve seems to revolve around nakedness, which supports the symbolic nature of the story. Perhaps the first “coming of age” story. The desire to “be like God” is reflected in youth’s desire to grow up and “be an adult.”

4 Likes

You guys are so funny.
I don’t think God is the least bit concerned about our bodies or any of our bodily functions. Consider how many times he has seen people make love. He probably snoozes through it, by now.
But personally I think humans are embarrassed to be in bodies; I think we were created in the invisible realm where God dwells, and the fall (our disobedience, our rejection of God) happened in that realm. The result is that God put us (who knows how many) in animal bodies to live here on earth without him. We rejected him, so he gave us the opportunity to find out what it is like to live without him. It is a hard but important lesson. But living on earth was not just an FYI for us; it is the theater of our salvation.

They really need to make them stronger!

If we keep this up we might start to attract a younger audience to these here parts. Might lower the average age around here.

3 Likes

I personally think that God laughs at us when we Christians cringe as stuff like sex and sexuality.

1 Like

While the edgy hoopla is fun … I feel compelled to take up at least some partial defense of all the puritanical prudishness that so attracts our ‘enlightened’ scorn.

Yeah - sexuality is good - great even as one should expect from anything created by God. But it is precisely that which makes it so tragic when this great gift of communion - which is anything but trivial or casual (pity the people who have made it so - and even worse, have turned it into a violent exercise of domination) is trampled underfoot in our sexually starved culture that will cast about for any scrap of it anywhere that we can. So our prudish forbears went too far and taught us to scorn sex itself as sinful. Okay - that’s fair to deal with and should be dealt with. But in typical knee-jerk reactionism, our culture now craves a diet that will not tolerate any chastity or self-restraint of any kind. The word “sin” itself is now treated like a relic of puritanism in the culture at large and perhaps to some extent even in our churches. There has to be a world in between that has much to celebrate in it without attempting to baptize anything and everything.

3 Likes

… Personally I think that “your neck is like a tower of ivory and your nose is like the tower of Lebanon” ought to be a number one pick-up line in a bar, though!

2 Likes

I’m going with Shakespeare’s Sonnet 130, which pokes a little fun at “false compare” love poetry.

My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips’ red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

5 Likes

writes down dating pick up lines I’ll use this one next time. XD

Keep us posted. Then other guys here can take note of outcomes. And for all us married gents, it’s nothing more than an academic exercise, of course!

I think Solomon’s entreaties might win out here.

2 Likes

I dunno, I’d be equally interested in how those phrases work out for spouses. :stuck_out_tongue:

Somewhere there’s a recording of Alan Rickman reading that one. :smiley:

2 Likes

That is hilarious and entirely made my day. That Shakespeare guy is pretty good.

3 Likes

I’m taking this thread even farther afield, but I always taught that sonnet in my HS poetry unit. The discussion usually went like this:

Q: Why Shakespeare scorin on his bae?
A: He’s not scorin on her. He’s making fun of poets who pretend their girlfriends are goddesses. Shakespeare says his mistress walks on the ground like a normal woman.
Q: So, dis like a rap battle? Shakespeare sayin they all fake.
A: Yes. It’s a rap battle. Let’s talk about the rhyme scheme …

4 Likes

Scripture associates Adam with the Ark of the covenant?