News of RHE's passing

So very sad. I met Rachel once many years ago, and shortly after reviewed her (then new) book for BioLogos. I read it on the plane on the flight home from the conference I met her at, and loved it.

I also participated in an “ask an Evolutionary Creationist” Q&A on her blog back then. She was a great person to work with. As others have said, I too did not agree with everything she thought but she was a brave and needed voice.

I’ll be praying for Dan and their children. So very sad.

6 Likes

I don’t know @Peter_Wolfe, but I know exactly how someone like him or me would say this. It’s called lamentation, and it’s both normal and good. I have experienced the death of a child, personally, and been part of the healing process for others who have been through the same. A common, and decent, and healthy response, often spoken aloud to grieving parents, is: “This just isn’t supposed to happen.” A common sentiment in our culture (or at least in my culture) is that a parent should never have to bury a child. When we say these things, we are lamenting.

Rachel left a grieving partner, two young children, and a void where her courageous voice had been. She was 37 years old. Let us lament her passing.

12 Likes

Am hearing a tribute to her on NPR even now as I write this on Sunday morning. Maybe that can be linked here soon… [indeed here it is.]

5 Likes

I am just surprised to read these types of comments on Christian forum. I relate “lament” with non-spiritual people, not true Christians who should know:

And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt. Mark 14:36.

As Christians we should rejoice in the life Rachel led, ask God to welcome her into His Kingdom, and ask Him to bless her family, not question His Will. Lamenting to me is saying to God that you do not even want to try to understand His Will. Jesus gave us physical death for spiritual life. As I said earlier, death is a great teaching moment, don’t waste it.

Lament fills the Bible. And honestly, this thread is for expressing respects at someone’s untimely death. Please don’t turn it into an opportunity to preach at people. That’s uncalled for.

8 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Is lament appropriate for Christians today?

It is, for me, a significant credit to Rachel that she is mourned among unbelievers like me and like Hemant Mehta, a humanist who runs the Friendly Atheist blog. Look at his subtitle: “We’ve lost a wonderful voice.” We. Not them.

8 Likes

I always enjoyed the blog dialogue between Rachel and Libby Anne at Love, Joy, Feminism on the one side and Michael Bird at Euangelion on the other. Thinking people appreciate those who give voice to their questions, even if the answers they eventually come down on are different.

5 Likes

Very sad news hard to digest. Grateful for her impact on the world though.

3 Likes

With a nod to your thread on this …

… Becky Castle Miller has posted a moving tribute to RHE on Jesus Creed today.

5 Likes

Instead of starting a new thread on the topic, I’ll post our latest article here:

10 Likes

Great tribute – thanks so much for writing this.

Keeping faith does not mean pretending we have it all figured out. Commitment to Jesus Christ and his kingdom does not mean never doubting.

I love that RHE embodied that – being a Christian without pretending, but as you also say, not “deconstructing” right out of the faith or enjoying tearing something down.

3 Likes

Well done. Thanks. I have been searching for words since Saturday, but the only appropriate thing that comes to mind is her benediction for the Mission when it closed on Easter Sunday. As she said in Searching for Sunday, “Maybe you can’t build a church on nights and weekends. But at least you can be one."

The final prayer when the Mission closed, adapted from Alcuin of York. May it be true of all of us when our own missions come to an end …

“God, go with us. Help us to be an honor to the church.
Give us the grace to follow Christ’s word,
to be clear in our task and careful in our speech.
Give us open hands and joyful hearts.
Let Christ be on our lips.
May our lives reflect a love of truth and compassion.
Let no one come to us and go away sad.
May we offer hope to the poor,
and solace to the disheartened.
Let us so walk before God’s people,
that those who follow us might come into his kingdom.
Let us sow living seeds, words that are quick with life,
that faith may be the harvest in people’s hearts.
In word and in example let your light shine
in the dark like the morning star.
Do not allow the wealth of the world or its enchantment
flatter us into silence as to your truth.
Do not permit the powerful, or judges,
or our dearest friends
to keep us from professing what is right.
Amen.”

4 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Is lament appropriate for Christians today?

Good article about her passing and the reaction, from The Atlantic.
Found myself reading it through tears, oddly enough.

2 Likes

It would help had I included the link:

3 Likes

“Death is a thing empires worry about, not a thing resurrection people worry about,” she told me in 2015. “As long as there’s somebody baptizing sinners, breaking the bread, drinking the wine; as long as there’s people confessing their sins, healing, walking with one another through suffering, then the Church is alive, and it’s well.”

I love that – such a reminder to be careful what kinds of things we think are most important to hold on to.

3 Likes

Jim, until today I confess that I was ignorant of the contributions of RHE. I will rectify that as soon as possible–thanks to the outpouring of grief expressed on this Forum, including yours. Not surprisingly, there were so many questioning: “Why does a good God let bad things happen to good people?”

Oftentimes, my mind comes up with rather quirky rationales, and I wonder what you would think of my “explanation” of the tragedy of RHE’s untimely death. It uses a comparison with Jesus’ experience in Gethsemane. Up to that point Jesus had been an effective human teacher, and, since he was truly human, it would have been a natural desire for him to continue in life until his natural death. But his Godly nature allowed him to appreciate that only through his Passion would his Message be optimally transmitted to future generations. So he said:"….nevertheless, Thy Will be done".

From what I learned on this Forum, it seems that RHE was unusually effective in bringing evangelical Christians into harmony with those of a more ‘progressive’ outlook. Is it possible that God sees that, in this Information Age, her untimely death would encourage sites like #prayfor RHE to be much more effective in spreading her message than what she could accomplish in life?

I would not dare to offer this as something Job-like to assuage the grief that Rachel’s husband and kids feel at these trying times, but it might be helpful to those of us who wonder why our prayers go (seemingly) unanswered sometimes.
Al Leo

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.