New Blog Post: Is it still reasonable to believe in God?

Created things are contingent by definition.

You make a good and valid distinction here. You can say that classic pantheism is much like no God at all because of the non-personal aspect of it. But to be precise here I acknowledged the two different uses of “ground of being.”

And I agreed with the first one. And I did not identify the latter pantheism but with panentheism since the dream is better described as an emanation of the dreamer than as part of the dreamer himself.

My objection is that every dreamer is the god of his own dream and thus this makes much too little of god and no real creator at all. So I would say that as you make the personal God the definitive distinction from pantheism, I would make the laws of nature the definitive distinction from panentheism and say it is by the fixed created laws of nature that God “upholds” the universe and not simply by mere whim which can change from moment to moment. But then I would say that by the laws of nature we have a substantial existence of our own and thus that God’s creation is more an example of automation than simply dreaming.

I wouldn’t be a Christian without a personal experience that made me an instant believer. It’s the base of my faith and the only thing I know for sure despite all the gathered knowledge.

2 Likes

My simplistic view is it is reasonable. What are my other options? Energy is eternal and became self aware?

1 Like

'Sorry, This post should have been for the first post by HRankin.

I hope that these lines will be found helpful for answering the “Is it still reasonable to believe in God?” question.

Not only is it still reasonable to believe in God, it’s still dangerously unreasonable not to do so. Evidence for the reality of God is ever present around us. It is written,

“For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse (Romans 1:20)”

But there’s much around us that tend to tug us by our fallen nature into blinding us to these facts. A merchant cannot stand without the faith of his customers. Although possible to find another merchant to support if we lose faith in one, there’s no alternative to God that’s 100% faithful if we lose faith in Him. Our common enemy tends to show itself as an “angel of light” to draw us away from God.

As written, “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

Individual faith is thus manifested by trust in him that’s sent from God that declares His word. Scientists that informed us of black holes and antimatter serve us only in the natural realm. The preacher along with witnesses serve us by informing us of truth in the spiritual realm.

These words of Jesus are written:

“But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.  God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth (St. John 4:23-24).”

After a believer gains fellowship with God by faith, his faith is maintained by his keeping in touch with God in daily prayer where he honestly confesses the truth of his faults and expresses his needs for supernatural help and guidance on the path he should take. The science by which God proves Himself is the science of trust and obedience.

As always, it’s very much reasonable to believe in God.

Although true that religious faith forcefully dictated is counterproductive, only that which is genuine and authentic is to be proclaimed.

Earl

From the Blog:

The series begins with Luke Douglas’s story, which is worth reading because it is so typical of those we hear: a) he grew up with a particular view of science tightly wedded to his faith; b) he discovered that view of science to be demonstrably wrong; c) so he abandoned his faith, not thinking there are any other options for reconciling science with serious faith.

I want to say, that Luke’s story is my story, only I didn’t end up leaving the faith. The power of YEC is that it offers a ‘way’ to believe that the Bible is historically true (given their interpretation of the Scripture and time scale). The problem with it is that it is totally observationally wrong. Thus when a person who held YEC finds out that the apologetical arguments are not true, it immediately casts doubt on the historicity of the Scripture. I strongly disagree with the idea that there are lots of other ways to reconcile Biblical historicity with science. There are lots of ways claim that the scripture isn’t historically worth a bucket of warm spit but it is still true in metaphysical terms. I never found that option appealing. I had already fooled myself into believing YEC for years, why did I want to knowingly believe that which was historically false? Having argued myself blue in the face over the years for the need for a historically based interpretation of the creation and the flood, I see no reason to believe the Scripture if there is no historicity. My solutions can be found at:Gen.1 and Flood

Having recently run into some interesting data that might make the Exodus historically true (archaeology had been looking for it at the wrong time, when the data seems to indicate it occurred 350 years or so earlier), the same issues of why believe a religion whose origins are historically false have cropped up in this area of the Bible as well.

Rohl, who is one of the truly out of the box thinkers I have run into, cited Thompson:

It may perhaps appear strange that so much of the Bible deals with the origin traditions of a people that never existed as such.” Thomas Thompson, The Bible as History,( London, 1999), p. 34 cited by David Rohl, Exodus, Myth or History, (ThinkingMan’s Media 2013, p. 4.

Rohl is an agnostic, but finds it very strange that people would believe a religion based on such false foundations. I absolutely agree with Rohl. We don’t treat any other area of intellectual life in this fashion, where what is known to be false is still said to be true and to be believed. The following quotes from Rohl illustrate the point only for another religion other than Christianity. But Christianity has the very same problem today–people say it is untrue historically but still to be believed.

Though I continue to regard myself as an ‘agnostic’-that is, a person still undecided in matters of faith-I am convinced that the stories in the Bible are based on real events and real personalities. What this book sets out to do is explain why, over the past fifty years, scholars have become so skeptical about both biblical history and biblical archaeology. It is not that their observations of the archaeological evidence are wrong, nor that their interpretations of that evidence are flawed. In spite of the protests of evangelical Christian scholars, the evidence is now quite clear that no Sojourn of Israelites took place in Egypt during the New Kingdom where historians have placed it. Neither was there an Exodus of those Israelites from Egypt towards the end of the 19th Dynasty. Indeed, there never was a Conquest of the Promised Land at the end of the Late Bronze Age to mark the birth of the Israelite nation. None of this happened according to the archaeological evidence, so in this the skeptics are right. But what they either didn’t realize, or are simply not prepared to accept is that the Exodus did not happen at that time but rather much earlier, in what archaeologists call the Middle Bronze Age.” David Rohl, Exodus(ThinkingMan’s Media 2013), p. Iii

Finkelstein:…”Whether the stories happened exactly in that way is not important. … It is more important to understand the meaning of Exodus-the moral of Exodus- for our civilization, for humanity, for mankind. This, in my opinion, is more important.”

“So the Tel Aviv University professor and doyen of Israeli archaeology seems quite capable of separating his professional work from his personal family life without much difficulty, even though the two seem to be at odds with each other.

“This stance begs some very obvious questions. Why do the Jewish people celebrate (and have celebrated, for the past three thousand years) an event which never happened? How do Israelis reconcile the fact that their national identity and religion are based on a fantasy? Professor James Hoffmeier put it very nicely in his interview for the Exodus movie.

Hoffmeier: Who would invent a story about their ancestors being slaves? I can see people saying our ancestors were princes, our ancestors were great merchants, our ancestors were something wonderful, and glorious and noble…but we were slaves? Why?” David Rohl, “Exodus-Myth or History?” ThinkingMan’s Media, 2013, p. 4

For background, Rabbi David Wolpe argued that it didn’t matter if the OT was true or not. He was criticized for saying it.

For Wolpe, ‘the Torah is not a book we turn to for historical accuracy, but rather for truth’. In other words, it appears that the narrative of Hebrew scripture is historically untrue but nevertheless spiritually true! Wolpe himself gives no insight into how many of his Jewish academic colleagues handle this new reality.

Wolpe:…timidity keeps many rabbis from expressing what they have long understood to be true. As a scholar who took me to task in print told me privately over lunch, ‘Of course what you say is true, but we should not say it publicly’. In other words, tell the truth, but not when too many people will be listening.”

“Well a great many people are now listening and they don’t like what they hear. And I hope you would agree with me that (to paraphrase Wolpe’s own words) those who hold that people should never attempt to explore such questions have a very strange understanding as to why God gave us brains. How can a faith or religion be founded on a fundamental flaw like this? How can believers accept the Torah or Old Testament as an ‘extended metaphor’ (a term-coined by rabbi Bradley Shavitt Artson, dean of the Ziegler School of Rabbinic Studies at the University of Judaism in Los Angeles), ‘produced for theological reasons’ (according to Bill Dever)?” David Rohl, “Exodus-Myth or History?” ThinkingMan’s Media, 2013, p. 12-13

That this agnostic has more faith in our scriptures than many Jews and Christians today, should be a source of shame to us. No doubt I will be told to stop misrepresenting things again, but it isn’t just me who find it weird that people are dedicated to believing the theological truth of a Bible that they firmly believe says nothing about history. Most atheists I met during my 12 year soul searching about the epistemological basis of Christianity, agree. And so did my friend Wil Provine, a rather well known atheist in his day.

Edited to add: I find myself in rare agreement with Mitch when he wrote: But no, I quite disagree with this idea of God being existence or being itself. Frankly I think that is the same as no God at all and no significant difference from pantheism.

It’s more reasonable not to. Whether God exists or not creation, stuff is eternal. It’s desirable to believe in God, the best case one that is. But the only possibly anomalous event is the fact of the early Church and its writings. The first couple of circles out from their mythical founder. There is nothing lacking in stuff, no Intelligent Design at any scale. There is no beginning to beginnings.

Big bang cosmology pretty much gives us the idea that stuff had a beginning. Why do you think you can categorically deny that it has an end?

Uniformitarianism Dale. 13.8 ga is a blip on an infinite wave front from eternity. Nothing changes. God or no.

Off ter bed. Will always respond when I can.

Dream on. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s also interesting to me that Jesus speaks to global warming in Luke 21:25, which correlates well to this:

The Ocean’s Biggest Waves Are Getting Even Bigger

A comment that I have often posted after climate change news stories:

Just to clarify, are you saying that you think it is more reasonable not to believe in God? That confuses me since I think you’d written in another thread that you were interested in finding a way to teach your high school child a way to accept both evolution and Christian faith. I must have missed something.

I have no problem with believers not insisting on God being the architect of atoms, galaxies and life. Frankly I wish more would consider the possibility that God comes in after the cosmos and in a natural manner. I just don’t see any reason to insist on putting God on such a high pedestal. If the relationship has value, it should continue to have value without all that hyperbole. If what gives rise to God belief turned out to be intermediate between the emergence of life and the emergence of our human experience what really is lost? Surely not everything. You still have meaning and purpose even if you don’t necessarily have eternal continuance of your own personal experience.

I’d be interested to learn what you mean by this. Which is the best one? Why do you find it desirable?

Certainly that is what I as an atheist believe, but aren’t you a Christian?

I’m content to plead agnosticism to that question but I lean the same way.

That’s a faith statement, there is nothing lacking in the material.

Ay up MarkD. Aye, more reasonable. On another thread I was encouraging a grammatico-historical church mother to chill over that in her son. Evolution is a fact for me. Best case God in Christ my desire - because if transcendence avails, I want it. Who wouldn’t? The best case God is the one sufficiently begun to be revealed in Jesus and that we then work out; tell an improving story of, as contemplative believers always have.

Aye, I’m Christian by hanging on by my finger nails faith and know that creation is what it has to be one way or the other. It either has a purposeless (order does not imply meaning) if null then not null, or purposeful ground of being.

I’m not so postmodern as to doubt of the fact of infinite eternity of stuff: uniformitarianism. In God or no.

I did Dale! Dreamt I was a vicar talking to my Dad nearly 40 years dead.

Why did you interject with a literal interpretation of apocalyptic texts might I ask?

Because metaphorical literature can and does contain literal elements, as can narrative literature contain metaphors.

What’s that truism got to do with the reasonableness of believing in God?

What does that reply have to do with your previous question? :slightly_smiling_face:

I think I answered your last question in the body of my comment above that you criticized for referring to an apocalyptic passage. :slightly_smiling_face:

So the Lucan Jesus and the John of Revelation were talking about now?

They were talking about the end times. You don’t think we are in them and that the earth will go on forever?The fires in Australia have been called apocalyptic.

(You aren’t a full or hyper-preterist by any chance, are you?)