My Trip to the Creation Museum | The BioLogos Forum

@Eddie to the extent to which some ID folks see evolution as not intrinsically naturalistic and materialistic, I concede your point. I think you and I both wish that the ID community would present itself differently on these points.

I also concede that I overplayed my hand on Genesis 1. You seem like a well-read guy, so you are certainly aware that Genesis 1 is far more about ordering and forming than a series of ex nihilo events. In fact, there’s at least some suggestion in the text of nature responding fruitfully to God’s word out of the capacities for fruitfulness built into it. I’m aware of the hermeneutical ambiguities, but I think my point stands.

And of course I agree that some events are out of the ordinary in such a way that miracle is the only appropriate word. I believe in the parting of the Red Sea and the virgin birth and the Resurrection and so on. But I don’t agree with taking one sense of the word “miracle” and using it as the paradigm for all things in which God is supernaturally involved.

I freely admit that I skipped most of your trademark 750 word soliloquy about TE/EC leaders and their sentiments. I’m interested in defending the perspective of BioLogos as an organization and of my own thoughts on origins. I will respond to this, however:

Because we serve a God of truth who gives us revelation through nature and Scripture, so even though we may be in a place where a theoretically cogent answer is still embryonic, we trust that such an answer exists and we faithfully pursue it. Those looking for theoretically cogent answers for how science and theology fit together at every point will likely be disappointed by evolutionary creationism. What you will find at BioLogos is that we are bringing together some of the top scholars, scientists, and faith leaders in the world to work together towards these cogent answers (the very opposite of “simply abandon[ing]” attempts at integration, I might note). On many of our Common Questions pages, you’ll read something like this: “This is a difficult question without an easy answer, but here are some ways that Christians have put the pieces together and we encourage you to explore them for yourself.” This is not compartmentalization. We are holding up science on the one hand, and Christian theology/Scripture on the other, affirming the truth of both, and trying to find points of intersection and resonance between the two, while maintaining the integrity of both. “One coherent explanation” sounds wonderful! Let’s pursue it together. Perhaps you should start a new topic with your own attempt at this coherent explanation.

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.