My journey through the science/faith debate

This is a good point. My hope is that the evangelical movement can be redirected from within rather than fragmented from without. The last thing that the Christian world needs is yet another fragmentation. I think a lot of Evangelical evolutionists share this sentiment.

However, we can’t underestimate the complete re-framing of the evangelical core that is necessary to transition. It’s not enough to just slap on EC to evangelicalism because the evangelical belief system is very opposed to that kind of thing. Part of the appeal of the evangelical system is that everything can be understood as coming from a simple idea: the complete, literal accuracy and total authority of the Bible. What we don’t want to do is say the Bible is totally accurate… BUT…

I’ve always found that the myopic focus on conversion of outsiders in the evangelical church can leave those within the walls spiritually undernourished.

So let’s preach the gospel. And let’s get beyond the altar call to present a concise theological framework that also has the depth to survive the question science raises. The evangelical faith has a tendency to fall apart when exposed to the world. But a strong faith should do the opposite.

I’m glad to hear OP is no longer afraid of questions. That’s probably the most important thing. If God is the truth then all truth is God’s truth. We have to be unafraid of the gospel, and unafraid of questions. And we have to actually answer them the best we can.

Too many times I was assured that there were answers to my questions, when in fact none existed. How can we know God exists? If we want to win the culture we need a compelling answer to that question. An answer that is compelling even to nonbelievers. But it took me years to find one.

1 Like