My ID Challenge

No problem. They are indeed very different cases.

Harry: I donā€™t think anyone here sees a conflict between science and God. Nor would any argue that God is not the Creator. My point from the beginning has been that Godā€™s Creation of life bears evidence of His work, which is consistent with Scriptures (Romans 1:19,20 and elsewhere). When Christians steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the evidence of the Creator manifested in the creation, or when they imply that such knowledge is merely personal or private, or cannot be established by science, logic, or reason, and especially when they teach such things, they, in my humble opinion, do damage to the faith of others. I do not claim that Godā€™s existence can be ā€œprovenā€ by the evidence. I do claim that the evidence exists and that it is strong.

1 Like

I have made a specific, audacious claim. If it seems obviously false, all you need do is provide one empirical example of functional prescriptive information being traced to a source that is not intelligent agency.

Here is a condensed version of the definition of Prescriptive information (from the peer reviewed anthology, ā€œThe First Gene,ā€): ā€œA subset of functional information that either instructs or indirectly produces nontrivial formal function. Presicriptive Information (PI) is semantic ā€œhow toā€ information. PI provides the instructions required to organize and program sophisticated utilityā€¦PI requires anticipation and ā€œchoice with intentā€ at bona fide decision nodes. PI either tells us what choices to make, or is a recordation of wise choices already made. PI is positive, as opposed to negative uncertaintyā€¦PI provides the instructions required to organize and program sophisticated utility. PI designs, creates, engineers, controls and regulatesā€¦ā€

The ball is in your court, no mine.

Wowā€¦ @deliberateresultā€¦ and here I was thinking that your saying things like the sentence I quote above is doing exactly the same thing! - - damaging the faith of other Christians!

I am relieved to see you re-affirm this position. While your choice of the word Evidence is reasonable ā€¦ your last phrase is walking a tightrope.

To some people the Evidence is strong; to many people the Evidence is arguable.

And this should explain why you are still arguing, and why so many others arenā€™t convinced by what you say, even though they might be science experts.

Hi Steveā€¦

I read and respond to posts sequentially, so I did not realize you have already offered an example.

Recall that a mutation amounts to a copying error to an existing genetic message. By way of analogy, consider the written word. Suppose I instruct my secretary to send you the following message: ā€œmeet me by the well.ā€ Unfortunately, in her haste she sends this to you instead: ā€œmeet me by the wall.ā€ Could we consider her typographical error to be the source of this prescriptive information? I donā€™t think so. The source remains me in this case. My original message has been altered, but I remain the source. Because an original message exists, we stop our trace prematurely at the point the typographical error was made. In the same way, we stop prematurely at the mutation.

But when it comes to genetic mutation, it gets even worse. There remains much that we donā€™t know. At least some scientists believe the ability of an organism to achieve a beneficial mutation is programmed.

Therefore, I think your example fails immediately in that you are talking about not the origin of genetic information, but the alteration of a previously existing piece of genetic information, and I think it is possible that the example could also fail ultimately, should the hypothesis of non-random evolution every be confirmed.

Of course we should consider her the source of that part of the information. Where else did the information about the wall come from? It didnā€™t come from you, did it?

Note also that in your case, the introduced information isnā€™t functional, while in the real case it is. My DNA has prescriptive information for carrying out a specific function ā€“ a function that didnā€™t even exist when I was born, since that strain of flu wasnā€™t around yet. If your concept of functional, prescriptive information means anything at all, then my memory B cells contain functional, prescriptive information that arose from a well-understood biochemical process with no detectable intelligent agent present. Something you said never happens.

At least some scientists believe all kinds of poppycock. At present, there is zero evidence that organisms are programmed to produce specific beneficial mutations, and abundant evidence that they produce random mutations. Random mutations are perfectly adequate to explain the origin of the functional information in question here. Invoking some possible future discovery does nothing to support your claim about the evidence we have today.

Letā€™s see if I have this right. I started life with N bits of functional information in my germline DNA that coded for antibodies. After 50+ years of life and numerous encounters with pathogens, I have a much larger amount of functional information in my DNA, coding for pathogen-specific antibodies. And those additional bits of information. . . I actually have no idea what youā€™re arguing here. Are you seriously saying that information doesnā€™t count as information if it arises as a modification of previous information? If so, then all human language also doesnā€™t count as information, since we generate language by modifying the language we learned as kids. What doea ā€œinformationā€ mean, if thatā€™s the case? Further, that would also mean that any amount of evolution (say, fish to humans) could occur without the creation of any new information or the involvement of an intelligent agent ā€“ because everything in our DNA is just a modification of earlier DNA. Is that the tack you want to take?

2 Likes

@Eddie, @deliberateresult

Though in the same post Joe stated:

Doesnā€™t, ā€œestablishedā€ here mean the same thing as, ā€œprovenā€?

1 Like

I see the evidence of God in nature as in Romans 1:2:

ā€œFor since the creation of the world Godā€™s invisible qualitiesā€”his eternal power and divine natureā€”have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.ā€

According to Paul, Godā€™s nature and power are ā€œclearly seenā€ in nature, not, ā€œprovableā€ by trying to make a cell or demonstrating that God must have created a DNA molecule in early Cambrian. Just being alive should make everyone know that God exists. If you have to prove it by providing scientific articles then the game has already been long lost.

With cognizance of God, the difference between our views is that Iā€™m comfortable with stating that the design is in the universe, while you seem to need to have it in something else so that God, ā€œcreatedā€ a cell, DNA molecule, person, etc.

3 Likes

Hi Joe -

You do not seem to understand the argument on how the immune system generates antibody instructions. Rather than spend some hours re-writing someone elseā€™s introductory prose, I provide a link for your edification. Hereā€™s a well-written primer that describes how stochastic recombination provides a pool of candidate antibody instructions. It will provide you with enough background to understand the argument that our friend @glipsnort is making.

btw, the author is a Christian biologist on the faculty of Gordon College.

Fraternally yours,

Chris Falter

1 Like

I agree with you on this.

1 Like

There is a big difference between saying that the existence of the God of the Bible can be proven and saying that evidence for the existence of a Creator of life has been established, even if one wishes to say that established = proven.

Let me ask you this Richard: Do you believe that the fine tuning of the universe constitutes strong evidence for a Creator

Hi Joe,

I agree that fine tuning constitutes evidence(1) for a Creator. However, the fine turning argument is an exercise in philosophy, not science.

Best,
Chris Falter

(1) Whether it is ā€œstrongā€ depends on oneā€™s view of the multi-verse hypothesis, and I donā€™t know enough about the physics to take a stance on the issue.

Exactly. Another way to put it is that the creation of a novel protein-protein binding site, with a very tight (low nanomolar to picomolar) dissociation constant, by Darwinian mechanisms occurs in mere weeks on a routine basis in all of us. That crosses Beheā€™s ā€œEdge of Evolutionā€ and completely falsifies the thesis of the book.

1 Like

Joe,

I second Chrisā€™s advice. Your response to Steve shows a severe lack of understanding of the basic facts.

1 Like

@deliberateresult

Joe, Iā€™m surprised at the whimsy of your question!

Any Universes that didnā€™t fall within the Goldilocks parameters wouldnā€™t have life as we know it. And if there was some other kind of lifeā€¦ they too would be shaking their heads in wonder at how precisely tuned the Universe isā€¦ just for their special needs. Ha!

To me, the most impressive evidence for a Universal Being is the existence of human consciousness. It is no scientific proof to be sureā€¦ but no scientist has an adequate explanation for consciousness. Without God, it really has no purpose - - once one understands how epiphenomena affects the discussion!

@deliberateresult

And so the natural philosophers of the Enlightenment Period argued as well! To know natural law was to know God.

Itā€™s really not a scientific argument ā€¦ itā€™s a philosophical one!

The so called fine tuning (and constants) is not philosophy as such, but a deduction we may draw regarding the scientific understanding of the Universe. In essence, science states that science can only postulate the Universe we observe - another way of summarising - it is almost impossible to envisage any Universe, than the one we do. The arguments are usually cast as changing the values of various mathematically required values and constants, and noting that ā€˜things we observeā€™ would never occur if this were to take place.

I take a philosophy of science approach in that science and maths postulate the Universe (or all objects of matter, energy, space and time) as it is - thus we would conclude it is comprehensible within a beginning as an act of creation, and a continuum as we understand time (and space and everything). Detailed discussions are available, especially from well qualified mathematicians and theoretical physicists (e.g. The Fine-Tuning of the Universe
for Intelligent Life, by Luke A. Barnes).

@GJDS Even if you think this is the only viable kind of Universe, my point is the same. Only the beneficiaries of a finely tuned Universe, intelligent are the ones who can say ā€œWowā€¦ look how finely tuned the Universe is!ā€.

This is not a satisfactory evidence on its own. But I think it is relevant to a personā€™s position of Faith, including yours and mine!