My ID Challenge

what does this have to do with anything I have said?

It encapsulates the problem I am trying to expose. What you are saying George is that you believe in God in spite of, not because of the evidence. The Scriptures tell us over and over again that God has given us evidence. You stake out a position that not only refuses to celebrate that evidence, you steadfastly resist it. Therefore, in promoting a narrative of life (which is quantitatively different from the natural world) that does not need God, you open the door for people like me who see a complete disconnect between this view and the one given to us by the Scriptures, to reject any faith we may have had.

One thing I can agree with you on Nick is that you and I have not gotten anywhere. I would really like to enter into a substantive conversation with you but not only are you not a good listener, you are far more fond of arguing against straw men of your own creation than what I have actually said:

Sorry Nick. Young Joe did not want to believe this. It is what “young Joe” saw. it was what many many people (much more than not among those who consider such things) have seen and continue to see.

let me ask you a question Nick: is there a difference between natural processes and supernatural processes? What might that difference be?

Sigh…Let’s try this again: If evolution is a “controlled” phenomenon, then there is, by necessity, a “controller.” Natural processes do not “control.” Natural processes can be controlled or constrained toward intended ends, but they do not control. See my question directly above.

Intelligent agents routinely constrain natural processes toward intended results. This does not infuse purpose into these mindless processes as I have clearly and repeatedly shown. The purpose is every bit as external to these processes as the intelligent agent who constrains them. Thus, the purpose comes from God’s control. Furthermore, just as we can very often and very clearly discern evidence for intelligent agency in the physical results produced by intelligent agents, the evidence from life points to the necessity of a Creator of life. Once again, Nick, this is good news for us Christians, not something to avoid or be ashamed of.

Here we have a perfect example of you not listening and instead investing in straw men of your own making. There is a tremendous difference between claiming that evidence exists and claiming that without evidence it is impossible to believe. I am defending the former claim, not the latter straw man. Moreover, you continue to relentlessly accuse me of using the word “proof” when the fact is that I consistently use the word “evidence.” There is a big difference here as well.

Here we have yet another perfect example. Despite the fact that I have told you that I had no YE upbringing, you insist that I have. Truly remarkable.

You marshall a vast array of Scriptures to justify a laisse fair view of evangelistic responsibility (or should I say irresponsibility?) but in doing so, you embrace a tiny piece of a much larger message and flaunt the clear imperative that every one of us who call ourselves by His name are called to:

“But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and the sword comes and takes any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at the watchman’s hand”
Ezekiel 33:6

"And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature’ "

Mark 16:15, and the last command Jesus left with His apostles.

As I have said, I would love to have a conversation with you but as long as you refuse to deal with what I actually say, that will be impossible.

yeah, I heard him say as much in the Toronto debate. I would love to hear his reasoning. Can you point me to anything he has said that would elaborate on this?

OK, I obviously stand corrected here. I am fascinated to learn the reasons. At the risk of putting words in your mouth (please correct anything that might misrepresent your position), there was a time when the information and molecular machinery of life represented compelling evidence for you that life required a Creator, but something caused you to reconsider?

Thanks Brad. I have just read the piece. I would like to ask Dr. Venema the same question I posed to Dr. Swamidas

Seed of atheism? Or are they simply being honest? The “hidden-ness of God” has been a struggle for theologians for centuries. Whether or not someone thinks that God’s involvement is measurable by the scientific tools and procedures of the scientific method should NOT be confused with atheism or some dangerous seed of atheism. When God banned HAADAM and EVE from the garden in the Eden region, they were cut off from the daily intimate fellowship they once had with God. So by kicking them out of that place of communion with God, did God thereby “plants the seeds of atheism?”

When I look at this amazing biosphere—and especially when I marvel at the incredible structures and “survival solutions” crafted by evolutionary processes—I can’t help but to fall on my knees in adoration and praise-filled worship. I consider evolution to be among the very greatest testimonies to God’s power and wisdom. Imagine establishing a universe with physics and universal constants which inevitably produced life and the evolutionary processes which continually adapt and diversify that life.

YET…if asked to use the Scientific Method to identify and quantify the role of God, I’m not all that surprised that I’m not able to do that. Modern science was defined by the great Christian philosopher-scientists of centuries past to be methodologically naturalistic. Science is intentionally limited in scope and capabilities. It isn’t in broad in its purview as philosophy—but for those things science can investigate, it is incredibly powerful and gives much more exacting descriptions and explanations.

Were the Christians who pioneered many fields of science (e.g., Newton, Lavoisier, Boyle, Descartes, William of Ockham, Bacon, et al) “planting the seeds of atheism” when they so carefully restricted science to methodological naturalism? I don’t think so.

2 Likes

@deliberateresult,

I like your interest in evidence … but not in the way you intend your meaning.

If I thought God was based on the reliability of Genesis … in terms of science and of history … in terms of the Age of the Earth and in terms of the uninterrupted history of Egypt … even though a Global Flood SHOULD have destroyed all of Egypt some time after the 4th dynasty …

… then I would have given up God a long time ago!

My belief in God is what SURVIVES the backwardness and primitive nature of Genesis.

@deliberateresult

YIKES! At the risk of seeming impertinent, I do take issue with how you word your question to @Swamidass… and indirectly to all of us. In any case, he has already answered you. This is MY answer to you…

How does a person deciding to REJECT Young Earth Creationism allow you to come to the conclusion that he longer thinks a Creator is needed?

Have you READ the mission statement of BIoLogos? Do you understand what we believe? We BELIEVE in God the creator … we just don’t believe he did it all in 6 days… and we DO believe he guided the machinery of natural selection and genetic mutations.

When will you give up this manipulative method of debate where you equate BioLogos as ONLY having to do with an ATHEISTIC interpretation of evolution?

@Eddie

And now Eddie pursues his own zany assault on people who share his belief that God is behind all of creation.

2 Likes

@Eddie

This is what @Socratic.Fanatic wrote;

"Seed of atheism? Or are they simply being honest? The “hidden-ness of God” has been a struggle for theologians for centuries. Whether or not someone thinks that God’s involvement is measurable by the scientific tools and procedures of the scientific method should NOT be confused with atheism or some dangerous seed of atheism. When God banned HAADAM and EVE from the garden in the Eden region, they were cut off from the daily intimate fellowship they once had with God. So by kicking them out of that place of communion with God, did God thereby “plants the seeds of atheism?”

When I look at this amazing biosphere—and especially when I marvel at the incredible structures and “survival solutions” crafted by evolutionary processes—I can’t help but to fall on my knees in adoration and praise-filled worship. I consider evolution to be among the very greatest testimonies to God’s power and wisdom. Imagine establishing a universe with physics and universal constants which inevitably produced life and the evolutionary processes which continually adapt and diversify that life.

YET…if asked to use the Scientific Method to identify and quantify the role of God, I’m not all that surprised that I’m not able to do that. Modern science was defined by the great Christian philosopher-scientists of centuries past to be methodologically naturalistic. Science is intentionally limited in scope and capabilities. It isn’t in broad in its purview as philosophy—but for those things science can investigate, it is incredibly powerful and gives much more exacting descriptions and explanations.

Were the Christians who pioneered many fields of science (e.g., Newton, Lavoisier, Boyle, Descartes, William of Ockham, Bacon, et al) “planting the seeds of atheism” when they so carefully restricted science to methodological naturalism? I don’t think so."

Eddie, Nothing in this is gnostic. There’s nothing in it about the demi-urge or gnosticism… Clearly the zaniest of your rants …

@Eddie,

Fortunate for us and those who support the CORRECTIVE … BioLogos exists with it’s mission statement clearly stating its opposition to those who say humanity on earth is the result of an unintentioned evolutionary process.

George, I can’t decide for sure that it’s the zaniest of his…well…“declarations”----but I have no hesitation saying that it is certainly within the top five.

2 Likes

You answer your own question here:

Therefore, the supernatural process is God’s control. The natural process is that which is being controlled, and also that which God has set in motion.

Nope. You made your own straw man when you said in the OP: [quote=“deliberateresult, post:1, topic:4944”]
reasoning that if life could be explained by purely natural processes, God was not necessary, and therefore, must not exist
[/quote]

Some of the resistance that you are getting on this thread is from people who see ID itself as a straw man, ie. @Swamidass when he says: [quote=“deliberateresult, post:799, topic:4944”]
I embraced and then rejected ID too. This is almost the rule among evangelical scientists. I know probably a dozen at my university alone.
[/quote]

In matters of faith, ID evidence is nice, but not necessary.
@deliberateresult

sigh…I have quoted mainstream biology textbooks, including textbooks authored by TE Ken Miller. The definition is not mine. And to borrow a page from your own playbook, outside of BioLogos, it is very difficult indeed to find anyone - be they Christian or atheist - who would disagree with the definition of the TOE as a purposeless process. Wonder all you wish.

@Eddie,

There are two sentences that should be stated … and you only stated one of them.

You said “God ‘intended’ to use an evolutionary process.” But you ALSO need to state: “God’s guidance of natural selection and genetic mutations transforms the evolutionary process into one with purpose and intention.”

From Point 9 of what we believe: “. . . . we reject ideologies that claim that evolution is a purposeless process or that evolution replaces God.”

See more at: The Work of BioLogos - BioLogos

As the Creationists have long said - - in the eyes of man Evolution’s design may look clumsy and crude … but how can man measure God’s design.

But the dilemma you point to is a subtle one: ID proponents who think God’s design is evident in His amazing creation - - BioLogos supporters are splitting the difference. God’s creation is amazing … but NOT so amazing as to make God’s presence and work obviously so.

All you are doing is pointing out that ID proponents OVERSTATE THEIR POSITION.