Mom Says It's My Turn As The Dominant Species! The Permian Extinction And The Rise Of The Dinosaurs

Please provide a citation.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. Chapter 3 of the Origin is entitled The Struggle for Existence. on p.116 he wrote, “A struggle for existence inevitably follows from the high rate at which all organic beings increase.” Penguin Books, 1972 reprint. Whereas this is not as clear cut as I presented it, it is reasonably clear and more importantly this is how others have interpreted it. What is clear is he saw evolution as much more than a game, but a real struggle.

It is true that Darwin did recognize that the environment had an impact on evolution, he did not emphasize it, most likely because Lamarck said that the environment was the dominant factor and he was out to refute Lamarck.

I have come to appreciate the basic outline of Darwin’s Theory. He was not a demon, and must not be blamed because a good theory is not a perfect one. He is responsible for the ideas, good and flawed, that he had. We are responsible for what we do with those ideas. .

1 Like

Correct.

I don’t know if that is an oblique reference to my analogy of the two climbers, but if you thought I was talking about a game, it was certainly an unwarranted inference.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.