Mark 13:30 “This generation will not pass away until all of these things take place”

He didn’t say it to us. He wasn’t speaking to us. In any way. He was speaking, according to ‘Mark’, 30-40 years later, to His disciples. So, if He was the real deal in every textual regard, what He said came to pass one way or another. And it did in no uncertain terms for Jewish Christians in 70 AD. Up to a million people died in the First Jewish War. The siege of Masada stretched the Roman army, treasury, state to breaking point. The logistics of attacking a desert mountain fortress with fifteen thousand men for three months was ruinous. There was no water, no wood, no food.

The rational, natural explanation is that ‘Mark; wrote it after 70 AD. Which doesn’t mean that Jesus wasn’t the real deal. ‘Mark’ wasn’t. But let’s assume they both were. Josephus - an eye witness of sorts - backs that up with his 78 AD publication of angelic cavalry manoeuvres and other utterly spine tingling accounts. Others here have argued on the authority of Tom Wright that Jesus’ coming was going; going to Heaven in a local fly-by air display. Begrudgingly I have to accept that. The Greek allows it.

We read - I did for 30 years - our modern eschatological, chiliad (so did the RCC a thousand years ago, hence the Crusades) desperation back in to ‘Mark’. As for the disciples, apostles, Christians from 31-70 AD, they expected Jesus’ imminent return and… moved on when it didn’t happen. According to dubious late Pauline and Petrine epistles.

Whatever the truth, it has nothing to do with now, whenever that is.

1 Like

On the other to be more considered hand, there’s Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s hermeneutic.

1 Like

If it is I who determine where God is to be found, then I shall always find a God who corresponds to me in some way, who is obliging, who is connected with my own nature. But if God determines where he is to be found, then it will be in a place which is not immediately pleasing to my nature and which is not at all congenial to me. This place is the Cross of Christ. And whoever would find him must go to the foot of the Cross, as the Sermon on the Mount commands.

Nice! Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.